The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Favorite memories of the Pacific Coliseum

Orka

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Was Bure's first game even televised? Seems to be an awful lot of people there considering at that time there was was 12,000 people in the stands? 

First NHL game I ever went to, Vancouver vs. Chicago mid 70's (1975-6?). The players seemed so fast. Lots of smoke, and beer in the hallways. 

Vancouver won, and the crowd was so happy (We lost a lot in those days). 

I'm pretty sure it seated 16,123 or close to that. That's what I remembered. Never did i remember 12,000 when i had seasons.?

Coliseum memories?

Saw my first Canucks game there, vs The Hawks and Tony Esposito.

Saw my first concert there, KISS in the summer of 1977 (saw them again in 1979).

Snuck backstage for an Ozzy Osbourne concert, got to watch the last couple of songs before security noticed me - and I bolted and ran out of the building and didn't get caught.

1982 Cup final run - didn't get to see any games but I remember watching and same for the 1994 run!

-First game I went to was Canucks vs Broad St Bullies...Andre Dupont tried to attack a fan in the stands..Jack Mac fought Dennis Ververgaert..Bobby Clarke gave Dennis Kearns some free dental work

-Gradin/Smyl/Fraser line...all rookie line..awesome

-Trevor Lindens rookie season (he was hitting everything in sight,what a leader)..Benning was on that team as well,I believe...tickets were $5 if you bought over $25 of groceries at Safeway.

-Went to Pavel Bures first game against the Jets..he didn't score,but it was amazing

-Saw lots of concerts there as a teenager..Van Halen,XTC,Rush,Police,Kinks,Queen,Page@Plant,Yes,Ozzy Osbourne,Cheap Trick,Scorpions,The Who.and many more..My musical tastes have changed drastically,but it was a cool experience to have seen these bands in their prime years...

1 hour ago, cabinessence said:

That was in Dallas.

It was???

Shows how foggy the memory is - swear I saw it live...

Old-timers kicking in...

Oh well, some other game when we hammered the Stars; that was fun.

and I liked the east Vancouver location more - miss the old people running in front of our car to lead us toward an overpriced parking spot beside their back-alley garage.

Like $5 or something - good times...

Wish I could have seen a Canucks games at the PC.

My favourite memory is watching the Giant's there in their first couple of years. I remember specifically when I was younger going to a game with my hockey team & getting really excited about grabbing a Great Clips coupon that was fell from the rafters. Although I'm sure my mom was much more happy than me, I used to always be against her when it came to having to go get haircuts. :lol:

2 hours ago, cabinessence said:

It wasn't televised locally. There were 14,000 plus that night if I recall correctly. Not a sellout, but a bit more than average for a Tuesday night then.

It was sold out, me and some buddies on the island here tried to get tickets late but no chance. The hype building up to that game was unreal i remember. Wow you are very lucky to have been there! I swear everyone in BC watched the news at 11pm that night and saw the highlights... for the next couple days that's all that was talked about was Bure, and his speed, quickness, breakaways.... quite an amazing time!

First time and only time I did front row...right in the corner..Dana Murzyn and Babych nailing WNP players was memorable.  As was how clean it looked without all the adds on the boards too.  Somehow that just seems right..the way the game should be played.  It also had the feeling of a local rink which I miss.  

4 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

ummm..... ok. He never did this during an an actual game and i'm 99% positive that this was the only time it was done. Also why it is such an iconic goal. This was definitely the first time he had done it though.

Seriously, how do you respond to posts like this on the Internet? 

I saw it with my own eyes at the Coliseum. I can say with 100℅ certainty it wasn't the only time he did it. 

It was an insignificant regular season game against Dallas. The only difference, he broke straight down the middle and did the trick.

My buddy sitting beside me also saw it. We looked at each other and said, "Did you see that?" almost at the exact same time.

And we weren't the only two people at the Coliseum that game who saw him do it. 

We both talked about it for years. It was my buddy's very first NHL game, first Canucks game, first time in the Coliseum, and we were blown away that he saw such an amazing goal for his first experience. 

There are several things that helped me remember ... they're kind of like triggers ... the goal itself, the fact that it was such a spectacular goal in a meaningless game, it was the first time I had seen the Stars play, my buddy's first time at the Coliseum (I was really excited for him), and how we couldn't stop talking about the goal the entire way home.

My buddy and I both grew up in a town where you didn't see superstars score goals like that. You only heard about them or saw them on highlights. So the fact that we saw Bure do it live that day was a really big deal for us.

The excitement of seeing that goal in some way validated our choice to move out west. Kinda like, wow, we wouldn't have seen that had we remained back east. From a life standpoint, seeing Bure do that made us feel like, wow, what else can we see?  

That memory became a significant talking point for us throughout the years. We saw something special that day and knew it. 

Another trigger for that game ... I was his supervisor at the time and had to wrangle it so we both could get the time off. That wasn't easy. I remember the game because it almost got to a point where one of us wouldn't be able to go.

I can also remember waiting for the highlights on SportsPage that night to show our roommates.

It's fascinating. What you say definitely never happened was actually a really significant and meaningful memory for a couple other people.

Pavel Bure on breakaways against the Nordiques (2 goals) and Jets (1 goal)... great viewing of both. I was at ice level against the Nords, and Momesso was crunched against the glass beside me, with his saliva splashing against it. 

Strangest moment - going to the washroom to find a long smelly trough that we peed into like we were all livestock. No lineups outside the men's washroom though.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Seriously, how do you respond to posts like this on the Internet? 

I saw it with my own eyes at the Coliseum. I can say with 100℅ certainty it wasn't the only time he did it. 

It was an insignificant regular season game against Dallas. The only difference, he broke straight down the middle and did the trick.

My buddy sitting beside me also saw it. We looked at each other and said, "Did you see that?" almost at the exact same time.

And we weren't the only two people at the Coliseum that game who saw him do it. 

We both talked about it for years. It was my buddy's very first NHL game, first Canucks game, first time in the Coliseum, and we were blown away that he saw such an amazing goal for his first experience. 

There are several things that helped me remember ... they're kind of like triggers ... the goal itself, the fact that it was such a spectacular goal in a meaningless game, it was the first time I had seen the Stars play, my buddy's first time at the Coliseum (I was really excited for him), and how we couldn't stop talking about the goal the entire way home.

My buddy and I both grew up in a town where you didn't see superstars score goals like that. You only heard about them or saw them on highlights. So the fact that we saw Bure do it live that day was a really big deal for us.

The excitement of seeing that goal in some way validated our choice to move out west. Kinda like, wow, we wouldn't have seen that had we remained back east. From a life standpoint, seeing Bure do that made us feel like, wow, what else can we see?  

That memory became a significant talking point for us throughout the years. We saw something special that day and knew it. 

Another trigger for that game ... I was his supervisor at the time and had to wrangle it so we both could get the time off. That wasn't easy. I remember the game because it almost got to a point where one of us wouldn't be able to go.

I can also remember waiting for the highlights on SportsPage that night to show our roommates.

It's fascinating. What you say definitely never happened was actually a really significant and meaningful memory for a couple other people.

Can you find any video of it? I'm pretty sure he never tried this in a regular season game and i'm very sure that the one against Boston was his first attempt at it in a game. 

1 hour ago, Team Bagues said:

It was???

Shows how foggy the memory is - swear I saw it live...

Old-timers kicking in...

Oh well, some other game when we hammered the Stars; that was fun.

and I liked the east Vancouver location more - miss the old people running in front of our car to lead us toward an overpriced parking spot beside their back-alley garage.

Like $5 or something - good times...

Still happens during the PNE! Look at the crowd going nuts here!

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

It was sold out, me and some buddies on the island here tried to get tickets late but no chance. The hype building up to that game was unreal i remember. Wow you are very lucky to have been there! I swear everyone in BC watched the news at 11pm that night and saw the highlights... for the next couple days that's all that was talked about was Bure, and his speed, quickness, breakaways.... quite an amazing time!

Sold out, I am pretty sure it wasn't, but checked in Wikipedia, and lo and behold it was announced as 16,123. Will have to dig deeper. Notice the interpreter at the end interviewing Bure was the guy who did the ring interpretations in Rocky 4.

1st ever Canucks game watched was there.

It was in 94 just before playoffs in March, they played the Leafs and won 3-2 in OT!

Pre-game I was watching Murray Craven stretch at the bench and Pavel Bure skated in to grab a new twig and gave me a wink and a thumbs up, I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

2nd would have to be during the lockout when the Brad May and Friends game was held there and Bertuzzi's 1st 'Game' after the Moore incident, huge pop from the crowd and of course getting to meet a bunch of NHLers and get Autographs in the concourse pre-game. I was also interviewed by Global News but didn't make the final cut, assuming because I have a face for radio.

39 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Can you find any video of it? I'm pretty sure he never tried this in a regular season game and i'm very sure that the one against Boston was his first attempt at it in a game. 

Only thing I can tell you is that I was there and saw it happen right in front of us. 100℅ certain. Not even a question. 

Archived