The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) The 6 biggest UFA busts of the 2016 off season signings.

Rocksterh8

If we're going to engage in this kind of dumbass, premature "bust" calling:

Here's an obvious candidate that Rogers probably wouldn't want their prattle jockeys pointing out:

Matt Martin.

4 years x 2.5 million.  2 goals 2 assists.

Endangers all the baby faces on his team by jumping opposition undersized rookies - with no concept of the old school 'enforcer' code - requiring that Toronto roll out the DOLeafSafety to dole out the salt peter, attempting to enforce that the opposition doesn't answer in kind - which could get ugly for all the skilled smurfs the Leafs have up front.

Great signing in a "rebuild".  This ought to make literally no sense to all the "just do it like the Leafs" choir, and all the "just give the spots to kidz" advocates.

22 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Why do people on here go all self-defence when they see an article they don't like?

Don't you guys remember the off-season TSN article that put the Canucks last? Everybody got all stingy but hey, TSN wasn't that off.

General opinions about the Canucks won't be great anymore, and that's fair. We're not that good anymore. 

When healthy we are not a last placed club. Take away any team's top 2 dmen and first line winger. They are going to struggle lol

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

he scored 30 last year, I can handle that kind of decline.

22, 10 and 12 the years prior. 

Dude should be an agent because he literally got the most out of his best goalscoring year after 2008-09. 

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

So much fail in this post. 

Typical. Instead of questioning the content, you go for the rhetorical.

13 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

When healthy we are not a last placed club. Take away any team's top 2 dmen and first line winger. They are going to struggle lol

Injuries are a reality to every team in the league, we can't excuse ourselves for experiencing them.

If anything, you proved that we have 0 quality depth, which is pretty true. I mean we got guys like Skille, Chaput, Megna, Dorsett (when healthy), Sbisa, etc. logging regular minutes. To top it off, our star UFA signing hasn't really been a star.

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

22, 10 and 12 the years prior. 

Dude should be an agent because he literally got the most out of his best goalscoring year after 2008-09. 

Typical. Instead of questioning the content, you go for the rhetorical.

No need to question the content I don't underestimate what LE brings to the table. He can score and is solid on both ends of the ice. 

I also don't by into the "decline" at 30 and the youth obsession that goes on around here. 

Some players decline in their 20's some in their 30's some in their 40's. As someone who has followed LE for quite a few years now I can assure you he's not on the decline. 

Contracts 2 years or less aren't really busts unless you gave the player an ungodly sum. 

Loui will easily hit 20 goals but yes the length of the contract is kinda scary imo. 

The Reimer deal is a bust. Reimer for 5 years makes little sense. Even if he's an insurance policy, that's way too long of a contract

3 hours ago, smokes said:

Eriksson needs to be in a top six role to succeed. What I don't get is if Skille gets a chance with Horvat then why not Loui?

Actually, other than Bo and hansen, i would jay LE is the best defensive fwd they have.  he is excellent in his own end.

3 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

You Mad bro? because TO already has more talent than the Canucks.

Nobody would be complaining if we won 1st or 2nd pick in the 2016 draft. Nobody. Not even our worst critic. Not even Mike in Langley.
If we went forward with a new core of Matthews/Laine, Bo, Boeser, Stecher, Hutton, Guddy, Tryamkin, Demko, not a single soul would be complaining. Not. One.
We finished 28th last year. We were a hair away from being there.
Toronto tanked and got lucky and won the lottery. Sure, they still have nice talents in Nylander and Marner, but the optimism would not be as high as it is now.
We are building a foundation of young players. We don't have our marquee guy yet. But when we do, we will have a foundation stronger than your Edmontons and Torontos to work from. And we only had a couple years to do it. 

Just now, oldnews said:

This is a Torontroll still trying to sooth themselves over the biggest UFA bust of the last decade, David Clarkson, who btw, Loui has already outproduced lol, despite his slump, in his initial season with the club.

I still would've preferred if the David Clarkson had taken the HIGHER offer from the Oilers.

More hilarity....

52 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If we're going to engage in this kind of dumbass, premature "bust" calling:

Here's an obvious candidate that Rogers probably wouldn't want their prattle jockeys pointing out:

Matt Martin.

4 years x 2.5 million.  2 goals 2 assists.

Endangers all the baby faces on his team by jumping opposition undersized rookies - with no concept of the old school 'enforcer' code - requiring that Toronto roll out the DOLeafSafety to dole out the salt peter, attempting to enforce that the opposition doesn't answer in kind - which could get ugly for all the skilled smurfs the Leafs have up front.

Great signing in a "rebuild".  This ought to make literally no sense to all the "just do it like the Leafs" choir, and all the "just give the spots to kidz" advocates.

Yah but in fairness TO needs guys like Martin to protect them from that brute Stecher. 

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Watching Wilbrod give Loui the Vrbata treatment this year has been brutal to watch. The only coach in hockey that would split up one of the best Olympic and WCoH lines. 

Dude, the Sedins and Loui are the absolute slowest line in the league!  Hansen is a perfect fit for the Sedins.  Loui is better suited with line mates who can push the pace/forecheck in the offensive zone.  I think Sutter/Loui can work, but they need more of a digger on LW.  Granlund doesn't win a ton of battles along the board.

8 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Nobody would be complaining if we won 1st or 2nd pick in the 2016 draft. Nobody. Not even our worst critic. Not even Mike in Langley.
If we went forward with a new core of Matthews/Laine, Bo, Boeser, Stecher, Hutton, Guddy, Tryamkin, Demko, not a single soul would be complaining. Not. One.
We finished 28th last year. We were a hair away from being there.
Toronto tanked and got lucky and won the lottery. Sure, they still have nice talents in Nylander and Marner, but the optimism would not be as high as it is now.
We are building a foundation of young players. We don't have our marquee guy yet. But when we do, we will have a foundation stronger than your Edmontons and Torontos to work from. And we only had a couple years to do it. 

I'd have settled for some Winterpeg luck myself

Archived