The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MacIntyre's three thoughts: It's over for the Canucks, probably over for Desjardins

VanGnome

10 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

All of the players I listed were all available for the Canucks to draft (thats why I didn't include the 1st round)....The fact that LA had a mediocre team had zilch to do with it..It just demonstrates to me that they drafted very well,and the Canucks didn't ..

Yes. Combine that with Nonis and Gillis not knowing anything about drafting and a disaster ensues.

On 12/14/2016 at 0:08 PM, CanuckGAME said:

I told myself I will never go full retard.  So I didn't read the MacIntyre article.

I saw Ian MacIntyre in the summer driving around and couldn't believe my eyes dude was driving an 80s Honda that looked like it was harvested from the junk yard.  Rust and all.  I'm not hating, i was just suprised.  Thought his job would pay more than that.

Or maybe he drives a car like that, because then he has a ton of money to invest or put into other things. Tons of people with great cars are actually broke because they spent their money on a car. Don't automatically assume that a car shows your status, that's what they want people to think to continue suckering people in to buy their flashy cars. Went a bit off topic, but you can understand my point.

7 hours ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

All of the above.

Maybe the worst indicator, though, is that Benning told the media that he wouldn't ask his vets to waive their NMCs and NTCs at the deadline this season, after being fine with it his first 2 years. Especially after nothing at last year's deadline, plus the blinding obviousness that the team desperately needs picks, even more so, by clearing out as many vets as possible (if management's not completely handcuffed by their own granting of NTCs), a fan would think it'd be anchors aweigh in a few months. 

But no. The Miller-Benning lovefest continues (what will he get next, two years? three?), Burrows will be retained for 'veteran leadership' (if on-ice leadership is so important to this group, then why has management been linked to team cancer E Kane?), Hansen will be kept as short-term value, Gudbranson will be signed for at least 4 years at $5 mil with a NTC (his play has been horrendous), and any leftover $ after the season will be used for an overvalued 15 goal-a-year vet in order to make 'a run at the playoffs' again next season.

Iain MacIntyre isn't 'dumping' on the Canucks, he's just outlining the obvious state they're in. And that any pipe dream of 'making the playoffs' means the believer is filling that pipe with crack.

The only good thing about this season is that we'll finish bottom 3 even without a planned tank. Now the only hope is for the lottery balls to fall at #1 or #2 instead of #6.

An unplanned tank is better than an intentional one.  The unplanned one leaves assests that can be used to protect the new player a team was able to pick because of getting a top pick. Look at Tampa, Stamkos was able to play with St Louis, the Jets got Laine and didn't tank. 

If if we get a top pick and next year have a player that can step right into the NHL, wouldn't that be better with players like the Sedins around?  

EW

5 hours ago, Mattrek said:

Or maybe he drives a car like that, because then he has a ton of money to invest or put into other things. Tons of people with great cars are actually broke because they spent their money on a car. Don't automatically assume that a car shows your status, that's what they want people to think to continue suckering people in to buy their flashy cars. Went a bit off topic, but you can understand my point.

He probably owns a palatial condo in the West end or something :lol:

Cars are bad 'investments' folks.

5 hours ago, Mattrek said:

Lol 

this dad in a family friendship Ive known since a toddler drove a yellow 80's gmc Van like a work van.  He bought his daughter a jeep at 16 and when she moved on from that it became his vehicle.

anyway, the guy is a self made multi millionaire through building and real estate.  Owns strip malls,and condos, and houses in Alberta, Vancouver, the island Hawaii, whistler, that I know of.  Started from nothing.  Wears jeans everyday.  You'd never ever know.  Nicest guy.

10 hours ago, Me_ said:

Yes. Combine that with Nonis and Gillis not knowing anything about drafting and a disaster ensues.

To be fair, Nonis drafted a pretty good dman who likely would have been one of the top dmen in the league by now.

10 hours ago, Me_ said:

Early on Gillis' drafts were pretty weak. I think he was starting to figure it out when he got canned... that last draft was pretty strong. 

I don't think the Chicago Wolves stint was helpful to anyone. 

On 12/15/2016 at 9:40 AM, S'all Good Man said:

Yah I do think getting rid of AV was a mistake as well. 

I'm basing it on results: the constipated offence, strange line moves, so-so kid development. For sure its tough to gauge the reality of the locker room from a PC, but do you get the sense the players look up to Willie, or is he like most of his supporters say, he's "OK".

IMO "OK" can't be what we aspire to even when rebuilding. 

I get the sense that the players respect and like him.

This is probably the biggest problem he needs to work on with experience.

He might need to be less of a nice likeable guy, to more of a good respected guy who has the experience to lay the hammer.

Who knows. All I know is the team I see isn't real good - I would start with that first.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Lol 

this dad in a family friendship Ive known since a toddler drove a yellow 80's gmc Van like a work van.  He bought his daughter a jeep at 16 and when she moved on from that it became his vehicle.

anyway, the guy is a self made multi millionaire through building and real estate.  Owns strip malls,and condos, and houses in Alberta, Vancouver, the island Hawaii, whistler, that I know of.  Started from nothing.  Wears jeans everyday.  You'd never ever know.  Nicest guy.

You definitely can't judge a book by its cover. Personal story that doesn't really add anything to the conversation but I will share it anyway.

The wealthiest client I ever had looked like Grizzly Adams and drove a beat up old 70's Chevy pickup truck. Half the town thought he was that weird homeless guy who lived alone on the mountain. You can't make this $&!# up lol.

He owned a ton of mineral-rich and high value property all over BC that he turned into well over 100 million dollars over the years. A "working man" but one of the shrewdest business people I have ever met. Also the kindest, most humble, and most generous person I have ever known (once you looked past the grizzled exterior). When he died he had no immediate family and left almost his entire fortune and property to charity. 

He was smarter than me (and everyone I have ever met) at investing and I think the only reason he was my "client" was to stop by my office once a month to chat about life and business over a coffee. My wife always faithfully invited him over for Christmas dinner since he had no family and it took 5 years to get him to finally agree. His last Christmas he came for dinner and the kids got him playing on the Xbox and doing charaoke. 80 something years old it was awesome haha. We actually watch the video every year at Christmas. My kids loved him.

I asked him once why he worked so hard to make so much money that he rarely used. He said money or material things wasn't ever the reason he worked, the challenge of turning nothing into something drove him. Once a year he would take a major vacation somewhere but other than that really never spent his money other than on charity. He did finally buy a new truck a few years before he died after I browbeat him to do it since he lived so far up in the mountains. But he was 80 and it was the first new car he ever owned lol.

Best mentor I ever had in terms of how to approach life and work. And very few people ever knew what he was.

2 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

I get the sense that the players respect and like him.

This is probably the biggest problem he needs to work on with experience.

He might need to be less of a nice likeable guy, to more of a good respected guy who has the experience to lay the hammer.

Who knows. All I know is the team I see isn't real good - I would start with that first.

I'm sure most of them do like him, but its pretty hard to argue with how bad this offence is. I think its due to the line combo's but the only way we can know for sure is with either a different coach doing different things, or Willie gets a different mandate. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

I'm sure most of them do like him, but its pretty hard to argue with how bad this offence is. I think its due to the line combo's but the only way we can know for sure is with either a different coach doing different things, or Willie gets a different mandate. 

Curious what line combos you'd like to see.

I'm at a loss as to how the parts can be assembled to get more goals.

I'd say Edler and Tanev help the puck move out of the zone quicker, which is one of the key things to creating offence. We sadly miss that right now.

I have always wanted to see Erikson with Bo, maybe put Baer with Sutter - Sedins and Hansen I guess ; but the pickings are slim.

18 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

Curious what line combos you'd like to see.

I'm at a loss as to how the parts can be assembled to get more goals.

I'd say Edler and Tanev help the puck move out of the zone quicker, which is one of the key things to creating offence. We sadly miss that right now.

I have always wanted to see Erikson with Bo, maybe put Baer with Sutter - Sedins and Hansen I guess ; but the pickings are slim.

Well since you asked nicely:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Loui-Bo-Burr/Rodin

Baer-Sutter-Granny

Or to really shake it up

Sedin-Bo-Hansen

Loui-Sedin-Burr/Rodin

Bear-Sutter-Granny

Option 2 puts the onus on Bo and Hansen to drive the play and forecheck on the 1st line, and on the 2nd Loui and Rodin give Henrik to very skilled shot wingers to work with. Sutter Bear and Granny to me make another good mix of a shut down group thats a scoring threat.

Mix up the 4th line depending on the night: Gaunce can centre it, and mix in the Chaput's, megna's, Labates, etc. depending on whether you want more speed vs toughness e.g. 

On D assuming Tanev is back:

Tanev-Guddy

Sbisa-Stecher 

Hutton-Tryamkin

And once Edler is back:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Guddy

Tryamkin-Stecher

Hutton-Tanev needs a break, its not working. Pairing Tanev with Guddy will allow Guddy to get more physical with a more skilled partner. Stecher seems to elevate all his partners, and Tryamkin can let Hutton get more mobile too. Put Hutton-Guddy back once they've had a chance to gain some confidence back. 

PP1

Daniel-Loui-Bo-Rodin-Stecher

PP2

Baer-Henrik-Sutter-Granny-Hutton/Edler

35 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You definitely can't judge a book by its cover. Personal story that doesn't really add anything to the conversation but I will share it anyway.

The wealthiest client I ever had looked like Grizzly Adams and drove a beat up old 70's Chevy pickup truck. Half the town thought he was that weird homeless guy who lived alone on the mountain. You can't make this $&!# up lol.

He owned a ton of mineral-rich and high value property all over BC that he turned into well over 100 million dollars over the years. A "working man" but one of the shrewdest business people I have ever met. Also the kindest, most humble, and most generous person I have ever known (once you looked past the grizzled exterior). When he died he had no immediate family and left almost his entire fortune and property to charity. 

He was smarter than me (and everyone I have ever met) at investing and I think the only reason he was my "client" was to stop by my office once a month to chat about life and business over a coffee. My wife always faithfully invited him over for Christmas dinner since he had no family and it took 5 years to get him to finally agree. His last Christmas he came for dinner and the kids got him playing on the Xbox and doing charaoke. 80 something years old it was awesome haha. We actually watch the video every year at Christmas. My kids loved him.

I asked him once why he worked so hard to make so much money that he rarely used. He said money or material things wasn't ever the reason he worked, the challenge of turning nothing into something drove him. Once a year he would take a major vacation somewhere but other than that really never spent his money other than on charity. He did finally buy a new truck a few years before he died after I browbeat him to do it since he lived so far up in the mountains. But he was 80 and it was the first new car he ever owned lol.

Best mentor I ever had in terms of how to approach life and work. And very few people ever knew what he was.

Great story and perspective example.

Archived