The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MacIntyre's three thoughts: It's over for the Canucks, probably over for Desjardins

VanGnome

They could have just kept icing the puck last night and worn out the Canes, who would have to skate back to the Canucks end for the faceoffs.

Guddy was terrible.  The Sedins are easier to push off the puck than a novice.  No passion, no desperation, no compete spirit.  Starts at the top and works it way down to the players and staff.  

45 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

What are you talking about?

Tell us all what would happen if the owners "declared" it a rebuild. What would the team look like? How does he TRADE OFF NTC's? Who is taking these vets in an expansion year?

Tell us all where all this talent is coming from, you obviously think we are Toronto.

Alf HATES Toronto, and think they are foolishly following the Coiler rebuild of getting shiny forward bobbles, but forgetting about the D.  I want JB to rebuild, but with more picks, so we don't have to rely on each of our prospects coming through, but (instead) have two and three guys pushing for each spot.  

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

And yet, we have a chorus of folks that seem to have a love-in with him, like its Scotty Bowman back there, who can't actually point out anything Willie does well, other than grow lip hair. 

Not demanding his crucification because we recognize the team he's coaching is simply not very good at present is not some grand love-in style endorsement to god-like Bowman levels.

I'm not allowing myself to be biased by blind hatred and fan induced panic. WD is neither Jack Adams reincarnate, nor his he the useless sack of excrement soaked hammers some of CDC is insisting he is.

He's adequate. He has flaws and strengths and his flaws are nowhere near the biggest reason for this teams present record. That's neither a ringing endorsement, nor an indictment. 

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Not demanding his crucification because we recognize the team he's coaching is simply not very good at present is not some grand love-in style endorsement to god-like Bowman levels.

I'm not allowing myself to be biased by blind hatred and fan induced panic. WD is neither Jack Adams reincarnate, nor his he the useless sack of excrement soaked hammers some of CDC is insisting he is.

He's adequate. He has flaws and strengths and his flaws are nowhere near the biggest reason for this teams present record. That's neither a ringing endorsement, nor an indictment. 

Panic? No, its calling a spade a spade. Worst offence, last place, confused line blender methodology. If you saw that on any other team I doubt that you'd be surprised at a coaching change. 

"He's adequate". :lol:

Imagine Bennings 1st press conference with that attitude: "Its my commitment to the Canucks fan base that I will find the most adequate coach that i can."

Hey Trev, whats your long term plan for the team. "I want us to be the most adequate team in the NHL"

No shi....  sherlock...

Hard for the players to play hard and care when they see they have a  GM that simply  refuses to do his job...  rebuild this club properly -  and a coach that simply is not up to the job...

Canucks have become a country club type of franchise where older slowing down vets want to end up to coast out their careers....   Heh, the management will not ask you to waive your NTC no matter how little effort you put forth.....   Wow, really ?

Club is a gong show right now.

Maybe once Linden, Benning and Willie are gone , this club start truly start a professional rebuild. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

No shi....  sherlock...

Hard for the players to play hard and care when they see they have a  GM that simply  refuses to do his job...  rebuild this club properly -  and a coach that simply is not up to the job...

Canucks have become a country club type of franchise where older slowing down vets want to end up to coast out their careers....   Heh, the management will not ask you to waive your NTC no matter how little effort you put forth.....   Wow, really ?

Maybe once Linden, Benning and Willie are gone , this club start truly start a professional rebuild. 

Good to know there are a few guys on here that actually know whats going on. Cheers!

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

No shi....  sherlock...

:bored:

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

No shi....  sherlock...

pure garbage

2 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

GM is doing a very poor job of rebuilding then, needs to be fired

Typical CDC short term thinking...what were you expecting in 2.5 years..Dig deeper and you will realize that team is where its at, because of poor drafting....Is there an available GM you can think of right now who is better at drafting than Benning?...This team will look different again next year with the addition of Boeser,Virtanen,Juolevi..

14 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

So your issue is you want a hammer to be a wrench? They are what they are. Its up to the coach to asses the talent and get the most out of it. 

Results matter. The results of Willies line combinations is the worst offence in the NHL. Thats why you replace him. 

How do you suggest he does that given that it's not just their slow cumbersome and laboured style but they are just making too many damned mistakes.

Last night was riddled with them (and the other things I have detailed) It's not even what they are doing now, it's also what they are not doing

Willie can't bench them because they are legends and we don't have ready replacements. However to say that makes what they are doing night after night acceptable is madness.

Miller/Luongo appear in interviews and tear themselves a new one but I have never heard the twins take personal responsibility for the cluster-cks they are mailing in recently on a nightly basis.

Frankly it's becoming embarrassing and it is losing them respect. Where is the leadership on the ice last night's situation was crying out for?

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

You make it sound like they have to wheel them in on a stretcher to the rink. 

Loui just came off a 30 goal year. Hansen 22. 61 pt season for Daniel. 55 pts for Henrik. Sutter is playing well. Sorry that just does not pass the stink test that the veterans are all suddenly crap. 

We had that 9 game skid with a solid D group. 

Willie has the worst offence in the league. If now isn't the time to take chances, when is?

Yes, its the coach. 

No I didn't. Not everything is black and white S'all. WD is neither Bowman or garbage. The Sedins aren't Art Ross winners or in wheeled stretchers.

I love the Sedins and everything they have and continue to do. But at this stage, they're  mediocre to sup-par 1st liners. As of right now though, we have no youth beyond possibly Horvat to supplant them and one guy does not make a 1st line to push them down to 2nd line where they should be.

Eriksson, especially when he gets more acclimated, will be a good top 6 support player. 

Sutter is a very good middle 6 forward. 

Before this team improves it's scoring, it will need a guy like Boeser in at least the top 9 if not 6. We need to trade Tanev+ for a young top 6 guy this summer.

And even then, we'll likely still have ups and downs next year because we'll be a largely young team who are inconsistent because they're still learning. The vets (Sedins) will score inconsistently because they're old. 

No coach is going to magically change those realities. 

Just now, alfstonker said:

How do you suggest he does that given that it's not just their slow cumbersome and laboured style but they are just making too many damned mistakes.

Last night was riddled with them (and the other things I have detailed) It's not even what they are doing now, it's also what they are not doing

Willie can't bench them because they are legends and we don't have ready replacements. However to say that makes what they are doing night after night acceptable is madness.

Miller/Luongo appear in interviews and tear themselves a new one but I have never heard the twins take personal responsibility for the cluster-cks they are mailing in recently on a nightly basis.

Frankly it's becoming embarrassing and it is losing them respect. Where is the leadership on the ice last night's situation was crying out for?

Yes he can, he's the coach. He can split them up. He can give them better partners. He can lower their minutes. And besides that, they have been great leaders for a long time and I know you know that. 

But like JR said, lets hang on to "adequate" :rolleyes: 

Why do you refuse to assign any of the results to Willie? Whats his special mojo?

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

No I didn't. Not everything is black and white S'all. WD is neither Bowman or garbage. The Sedins aren't Art Ross winners or in wheeled stretchers.

I love the Sedins and everything they have and continue to do. But at this stage, they're  mediocre to sup-par 1st liners. As of right now though, we have no youth beyond possibly Horvat to supplant them and one guy does not make a 1st line to push them down to 2nd line where they should be.

Eriksson, especially when he gets more acclimated, will be a good top 6 support player. 

Sutter is a very good middle 6 forward. 

Before this team improves it's scoring, it will need a guy like Boeser in at least the top 9 if not 6. We need to trade Tanev+ for a young top 6 guy this summer.

And even then, we'll likely still have ups and downs next year because we'll be a largely young team who are inconsistent because they're still learning. The vets (Sedins) will score inconsistently because they're old. 

No coach is going to magically change those realities. 

No but another coach could get more out of this group. There's too much risk now of guys like Baer and Hutton really getting their confidence crushed. 

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

WD has developed players fine Jarvis is a lateral move at best imo. 

I can only think that you might be thinking of Bauertschi.. an old Allie from Junior.

Nope to Virtannen, Mcann, Boninno, Vey, WD does not like Pedan.

Granlund brought his game with the new opportunity in Vancouver..

Stetcher, same, ready.

Tryamkin, same, ready, maybe someone's interpretation of "game shape" set him back a month,. But to Nik's credit, he himself told the team what he would do, and that includes playing in the KHL for 2 years before he arrived in Vancouver.

Bo is self motivated..

Hutton too has been fine from day 1..

so who has WD developed?

Just recently heard that Virtannen is raving about T Green and how he has a great relationship with players, and his approach to situational and personal play.

..thats development.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

I can only think that you might be thinking of Bauertschi.. an old Allie from Junior.

Nope to Virtannen, Mcann, Boninno, Vey, WD does not like Pedan.

Granlund brought his game with the new opportunity in Vancouver..

Stetcher, same, ready.

Tryamkin, same, ready, maybe someone's interpretation of "game shape" set him back a month,. But to Nik's credit, he himself told the team what he would do, and that includes playing in the KHL for 2 years before he arrived in Vancouver.

Bo is self motivated..

Hutton too has been fine from day 1..

so who has WD developed?

Just recently heard that Virtannen is raving about T Green and how he has a great relationship with players, and his approach to situational and personal play.

..thats development.

Yep zero credit to WD no matter what heard the same stupid bs about AV here sorry not buying it. 

Next. 

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf HATES Toronto, and think they are foolishly following the Coiler rebuild of getting shiny forward bobbles, but forgetting about the D.  I want JB to rebuild, but with more picks, so we don't have to rely on each of our prospects coming through, but (instead) have two and three guys pushing for each spot.  

We are talking NOW - THIS SEASON - that is what you are complaining about.

I'm asking what would you do to give Willie a better team NOW.

You are like the rest on here Alf, good at moaning and misrepresenting the situation we are in but when push comes to shove you haven't a clue how to give Willie a better/more talented team THIS SEASON.

THAT is why Ericsson was signed, THAT is why Burr was kept, THAT is why Hansen wasn't traded, THAT is why Miller was signed. - to give the little talent we have a snowball's chance to make it through this season with their confidence intact.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

No but another coach could get more out of this group. There's too much risk now of guys like Baer and Hutton really getting their confidence crushed. 

Could they get more though? How much more? What's your long list of available and clearly superior options who are presently available? To what end?

Honestly, you're very much in the outer fringes of diminishing returns with a coaching change right now IMO.

Archived