The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tallon resumes control of Panthers' management duties, hockey ops

poetica

Tallon resumes control of Panthers' management duties, hockey ops

Dale Tallon will once again be tasked with getting the Florida Panthers back on track.

Moved upstairs last January in a front-office shakeup, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reports that Tallon is resuming control of the team's management duties and hockey operations.

Tallon was hired as the team's GM in May of 2010 and served in that capacity until the January 1, 2016 promotion, which was accompanied by a three-year extension. In the restructuring, Tom Rowe - then the head coach of the Panthers' American Hockey League-affiliate Portland Pirates - became the team's associate general manager. Rowe became the Panthers' head coach on November 27 upon the firing of Gerard Gallant. Gallant was in his third season as Panthers' bench boss, guiding the team to a first-place finish in the Atlantic Division a season ago.

Under Rowe, the Panthers have gone 2-3-3 in eight games.

Dreger does not foresee a complete overhaul with Tallon steering the ship once again, but changes could be forthcoming in the New Year.

The Panthers (13-13-4) sit fifth in the Atlantic. The team is currently four points adrift of a playoff spot. The Panthers are next in action on Thursday night when they visit the Winnipeg Jets. 

http://www.tsn.ca/tallon-resumes-control-of-panthers-management-duties-hockey-ops-1.631973

Here's hoping he can start righting the ship that has begun to sink under Rowe's mismanagement!

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Tallon took over as the GM the day Gallant was fired and then GM Tom Rowe took over as the head coach...

No, he didn't. You'd think he would have because...well, duh!

The original story includes Twitter quotes from Darren Dregger (that didn't get included when I copy and pasted the article...fixed it!) dated from today making it clear that it's something new.

As Bob Mckenzie tweeted at the time:

30 minutes ago, poetica said:

No, he didn't. You'd think he would have because...well, duh!

The original story includes Twitter quotes from Darren Dregger (that didn't get included when I copy and pasted the article...fixed it!) dated from today making it clear that it's something new.

As Bob Mckenzie tweeted at the time:

Yes he did. 

I read an article where Rowe confirmed Tallon would take over all GM duties when Gallant was fired and Rowe relinquished his GM duties and became the head coach. Took me a few mins to find it but here's the direct quote from Nov. 28. 

Rowe, 60, becomes the 14th coach in team history and said he will turn over all general manager duties to former GM turned president of hockey operations Dale Tallon 

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2016/11/28/florida-panthers-confirm-firing-of-gerard-gallant.html

19 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes he did. 

I read an article where Rowe confirmed Tallon would take over all GM duties when Gallant was fired and Rowe relinquished his GM duties and became the head coach. Took me a few mins to find it but here's the direct quote from Nov. 28. 

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2016/11/28/florida-panthers-confirm-firing-of-gerard-gallant.html

Well clearly the sources I quoted said differently.

But, this does seem to be a case of dueling sources....

12 minutes ago, Solinar said:

So I'll just stand over here not agreeing with you, but not stopping you either, and lets see how this plays out.........You ready to do it my way again?  Thanks.

Dale Tallon

Now the question is do these two guys - Rowe and Talon - get paid more for doing extra?

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Tallon trades Barkov for Gudbranson.

I'm down. lol.  I'd consider trading Horvat and guddy for Barkov if his ceiling is believed to be higher.  I doubt he gets dealt tho he looks like a budding super star in the making!

Should've never relinquished Tallon's role as GM in the first place. If anything, they should've introduced analytics as part of their approach but still let Tallon call all the shots and make the final call as he was the one that pretty much built up Florida to the team that they were last year

Archived