The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tallon resumes control of Panthers' management duties, hockey ops

poetica

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So, advanced stats don't do much I guess. 

exactly,

I have a whole blog where I list many of the failures advanced stats are responsible for, but I'm not allowed to link it so you'll have to do your own research.

but the info isn't hard to find 

26 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So, advanced stats don't do much I guess. 

Bingo. I wonder if the former blogger stats guys' days are numbered. Tallon doesn't strike me as someone who gives a fat buffalo's butt about Corsi or Fenwick or all those other mind numbing tables and tables of numbers. 

Hockey and Football are completely different than Baseball. They are dynamic team sports, that some skills, and abilities just don't translate to stats. 

You don't have the one on one battle with pitcher vs. batter like baseball, where there's stats for everything. 

In football, it's not only when you are in the red zone (20 yards or less) but when you are in the red zone. For example, doesn't say much when you are down 42 to 7 and you get a touchdown in 6 plays. Or you throw for 300+ yards, go 24 for 25, but can't score a single touchdown. Or in hockey when you are down by a goal and score the GTG, and the GWG in the last 5 minutes. Speed, positioning, toughness. Or in football, able to win turnovers in the 4th quarter to hold onto the win. These are all things that some stats show, but don't tell the whole story.

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No kidding.

What is their plan? I thought Tallon was out as GM because his views didn't align, but now he's back in?

I don't..... I don't even...know.

I am soo confused with their timeline.

I personally don't like Tallon, I really like what Arizona is doing with Chayka.

I wish the Canucks would get a progressive, more analytical GM and just keep Benning as head scout.

Florida should explore bringing in Gillis or Gilman (wish we kept Gilman).

why is this stupid franchise even in the NHL anymore? 80% of the seats are always empty and it seems like the management is playing musical chairs while the team (mostly full of young players who probably aren't benefiting from this...) struggle. I guess it's not news, but man, why are they in this league? heh. Well, I guess we get another team from a scorching hot place soon too while various Canadian cities would love teams and could actually bring in profits.. woohoo..

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No kidding.

What is their plan? I thought Tallon was out as GM because his views didn't align, but now he's back in?

I admit Florida's situation does have the possibility of smouldering on as a tire fire.

They do deserve credit though for realizing that given the choice between being "right" about analytics, or winning hockey games, that they've been heading in the wrong direction, and would rather go back to a proven winner with Tallon. 

2 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Sure, or maybe within an hour or two drive from the border.

It pisses Alf off that we Canadian fans pay the freight for those American teams to exist.  Hell, you can get seats in a lot of their cities for 10 bucks!  Thank you Mr. Betman for our 100 dollar cheap seats.

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It pisses Alf off that we Canadian fans pay the freight for those American teams to exist.  Hell, you can get seats in a lot of their cities for 10 bucks!  Thank you Mr. Betman for our 100 dollar cheap seats.

ya, at times that 10 bucks even includes a hot dog and a drink. 

I understand that Bettman has always wanted to introduce the game to non-traditional hockey markets but those markets don't seem to want it. Its like trying to sell ice to eskimos. Time to get rid of the weak links and move them to where they have a chance to succeed. 

4 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

ya, at times that 10 bucks even includes a hot dog and a drink. 

I understand that Bettman has always wanted to introduce the game to non-traditional hockey markets but those markets don't seem to want it. Its like trying to sell ice to eskimos. Time to get rid of the weak links and move them to where they have a chance to succeed. 

Maybe move those suck-a$$ teams to Europe?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Then he's forgotten the late 90s and early 2000s when many of the canadian teams weren't doing well and were in danger of being moved. 

Archived