The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lundquist clobbered by Stars Eakins

Mackcanuck

Just now, Green Building said:

Camera is a little more stable here. It might not be a %100 headshot, but you're nuts if you don't think there is head contact.

Kinda like the Larsen hit somewhat, though a bit more head and a bit less body. I've see much worse, but the fact that he was a goaltender probably makes this suspendable, no question. For a player, I'd say it's maybe a few games, depending on the severity of the injury. For a goaltender maybe a few more games since he broke that rule too.

36 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

This was a suspension:

Though Edler should have been, I never blamed him. Smith was always abusing his immunity by going behind the net and interfering with forwards. Was about time he got decked. Anyways, Eakins should get at least what Edler got

Nah. Eakins isn't a Canuck so 95% chance he doesn't get anything. 

2 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Kinda like the Larsen it somewhat, though a bit more head and a bit less body. I've see much worse, but the fact that he was a goaltender probably makes this suspendable, no question. For a player, I'd say it's maybe a few games, depending on the severity of the injury. For a goaltender maybe a few more games since he broke that rule too.

A pretty key distinction. This hit on Lundqvist looks worse than Lucic on Miller, and Lucic had him lined up from the blue line. Ludqvist left the game, but returned. Disagree that severity of the injury plays into it. Though Lucic had a history and I don't think Eakin does. He'll have one now though.

Just now, Green Building said:

A pretty key distinction. This hit on Lundqvist looks worse than Lucic on Miller, and Lucic had him lined up from the blue line. Ludqvist left the game, but returned. Disagree that severity of the injury plays into it. Though Lucic had a history and I don't think Eakin does. He'll have one now though.

I would disagree too, but it seems like the League usually considers it. In the videos I've seen, they always mention whether or not the player was injured on the play, which seems to imply that it's a factor in their decision.

10 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I would disagree too, but it seems like the League usually considers it. In the videos I've seen, they always mention whether or not the player was injured on the play, which seems to imply that it's a factor in their decision.

Fair enough. I feel like it influences the call on the ice more than the decision after the fact, but I have no numbers to back that up.

Welcome to the new NHL folks. You are seeing it in front of your eyes. Liberties on super stars and goalies have become a regular. The quick elimination of most enforcers/tougher/gritty guys = what you are seeing. 

The Rangers had NO ONE in the line up tonight that could keep Eakin honest/go after him/beat him up.

People are complaining about the DOPS, back in the day, the PLAYERS decided on the punishment. 

Hope you're happy Gary B. 

Not a single Rag attempted to pummel Eakin. 

Maybe I'm just a "old school", but if players were held accountable ON THE ICE - crap like this wouldn't happen as often.

Seriously, your goalie just gets destroyed and you're still chasing the puck? Bunch of wimpy crap. Every Rag on the ice should be ashamed of themselves and revoke their own man card for being pansies.

Eakin deserved to be picking up his teeth for that.

23 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Welcome to the new NHL folks. You are seeing it in front of your eyes. Liberties on super stars and goalies have become a regular. The quick elimination of most enforcers/tougher/gritty guys = what you are seeing. 

The Rangers had NO ONE in the line up tonight that could keep Eakin honest/go after him/beat him up.

People are complaining about the DOPS, back in the day, the PLAYERS decided on the punishment. 

Hope you're happy Gary B. 

Teams have realized that having plugs sitting on the bench isn't going to prevent a rat from taking a run at your best players. The plug just ends up fighting a plug on the other team or takes an instigator penalty which can kill you in a close game. The Bruins had Chara, Lucic, McQuaid, Thornton in their lineup when Cooke ended Savard's career. Didn't seem to stop Cooke, nor did he pay the price for it. People may have been annoyed by Prust's comments last year about players defending themselves but he was absolutely right. That's also the reason why he doesn't have a job.

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here.

To me, it looked like Eakin went full speed around the net to get the puck (as he should), only to realize there was nowhere he could go because Lundqvist was purposely standing right in the middle, blocking the entire lane behind the net. Eakin was tight close to the boards to go around him, but there was no room for him to skate by. At this point, it was too late to slow down, so Eakin jumped towards the boards as a last-ditch effort to avoid going through him, and caught the head.

Feel bad for King Henrik and the Rangers, but seriously, GTFO of the way!!! Sick of goalies accidentally-on-purpose using their supposed "immunity" to delay that pass and run interference behind the net.

25 minutes ago, Toews said:

Teams have realized that having plugs sitting on the bench isn't going to prevent a rat from taking a run at your best players. The plug just ends up fighting a plug on the other team or takes an instigator penalty which can kill you in a close game. The Bruins had Chara, Lucic, McQuaid, Thornton in their lineup when Cooke ended Savard's career. Didn't seem to stop Cooke, nor did he pay the price for it. People may have been annoyed by Prust's comments last year about players defending themselves but he was absolutely right. That's also the reason why he doesn't have a job.

Completely disagree with everything. Also, regarding Cooke he did have to fight Thornton the next game and got his ass kicked. 

if anyone hasn't noticed look at eakins back skate.  He basically launches himself at lundqvists head which is clearly the principle point of contact. Eakins made no effort to 'Let up" on a player let a lone  a  goalie in vulnerable position.  Although Lundqvist makes a fatal error and thinks he is safe an looks down and basically sets himself up to get creamed. Still no excuse for the way eakins goes through lundy's head.

4 hours ago, luckylager said:

Not a single Rag attempted to pummel Eakin. 

Maybe I'm just a "old school", but if players were held accountable ON THE ICE - crap like this wouldn't happen as often.

Seriously, your goalie just gets destroyed and you're still chasing the puck? Bunch of wimpy crap. Every Rag on the ice should be ashamed of themselves and revoke their own man card for being pansies.

Eakin deserved to be picking up his teeth for that.

This is the soft league where they are trying to lure in a more rounded fan, not savages like us dude !

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here.

To me, it looked like Eakin went full speed around the net to get the puck (as he should), only to realize there was nowhere he could go because Lundqvist was purposely standing right in the middle, blocking the entire lane behind the net. Eakin was tight close to the boards to go around him, but there was no room for him to skate by. At this point, it was too late to slow down, so Eakin jumped towards the boards as a last-ditch effort to avoid going through him, and caught the head.

Feel bad for King Henrik and the Rangers, but seriously, GTFO of the way!!! Sick of goalies accidentally-on-purpose using their supposed "immunity" to delay that pass and run interference behind the net.

I agree totallyy on the gtfo way part. you know he is coming in there at lightspeed and wtf were you thinking looking down at the last possible moment ?   Almost as if he willing wanted to get taken out ? Eakins jedi minded his a55.

Archived