The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trudeau to be Questioned by Ethics Watchdog

TheSecretIsMe

Article 1: Provides context about what he will be questioned about.

"Justin Trudeau admits to being lobbied at Liberal fundraisers:"

TL DR;
During the press conference, he was asked if he had ever been approached about government policy at Liberal fundraisers.

He admitted he is lobbied at private cash-for-access events, but said that donors have no more influence or special access than other Canadians.

Liberal Party spokespeople have argued for weeks that no such lobbying takes place at these extremely lucrative fundraisers but they have now been contradicted by their own leader.

The matter might even veer into a breach of the criminal code, if the lobbying was not reported.

It’s a blind spot for the Liberal leadership team. The erosion in popular support picked up in Forum Research poll Monday – from 51 per cent to a still lofty 42 per cent – may be a blip but it would be no surprise if political gravity is taking hold because people are becoming disillusioned with a party that is failing to maintain the Olympian standards of ethical behaviour laid out in its own “open and accountable government” guidelines.

Trudeau appears unassailable at this point in the electoral cycle. But the risks are asymmetrical – you might be able to get away with multi-year $30 billion deficits but be undone by a $1,500 donation that results in a favourable government decision for the donor.

Link to articlehttp://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/john-ivison-justin-trudeau-admits-to-being-lobbied-at-liberal-fundraisers

Part 2: Ethics Watchdog!! WOOF WOOF.

TL DR;
Canada's ethics watchdog wants to question Prime Minister Justin Trudeau about his attendance at so-called "cash-for-access" fundraising events, but she will not launch a formal investigation at this time.

In a letter responding to requests for an inquiry from the Conservatives and the NDP, Ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson said there is no evidence to date that demonstrates Trudeau or Bill Blair, parliamentary secretary to the minister of Justice, violated the Conflict of Interest Act.

"While the information provided in support of the allegations is not sufficient to cause me to initiate an examination under the act at this time, your letter and media articles leave me with concerns in relation to Mr. Trudeau's interactions with individuals involved with the canola export agreement, Wealth One Bank, and Anbang Insurance Group," Dawson wrote to interim Conservative leader Rona Ambrose.

"Consequently, I will follow up with Mr. Trudeau regarding his involvement with the fundraising events and with the three above-noted matters. I will inform you of the outcome in due course."

'Total transparency'

He was pressed by a reporter on how his actions of granting access to "rich people" who pay $1,500 to bend his ear squares with his own rules of not allowing preferential treatment or the perception of preferential treatment.

"The fact is, at the federal level our fundraising rules put very strict limits on personal donations. They have completely eliminated corporate and union donations, and there is absolute and total transparency for anyone who gives money to the federal level," Trudeau responded.

"Our commitment is to show the highest level of ethical standards, and that's exactly what we're doing."

But the Conservatives insist Trudeau isn't playing by his own rules, and hope the commissioner's line of questioning sheds more light on his fundraising activities.

"She had referred to this issue as being unsavoury in the past. We are glad she is going to be discussing this with the prime minister," said Ontario Conservative MP John Brassard. "I think when she digs deep, she's likely going to find something there."

Link to article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ethics-commissioner-dawson-trudeau-questions-1.3897684

From my understanding this became a big deal because of the Chinese billionaires that attended, it wasn't they're race that was the issue it was the controversy surrounding some of those who showed up.

Exhibit A: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/the-murky-beginnings-of-a-new-canadian-bank/article33034258/

TL DR;

The founder and a chief investor of a new Canadian bank aimed at Chinese Canadians was fined for mishandling client insurance claims and faced allegations he duped Chinese immigrants into buying expensive policies they could not afford.

Another principal investor in Wealth One Bank of Canada misrepresented his credentials on the bank’s website, claiming he was a senior ranking member of China’s legislature and an advisory body to that country’s leaders.

The Globe and Mail delved into the business past of Shenglin Xian, president of Shenglin Financial Corp. and founder and vice-chair of Wealth One Bank of Canada, after reporting he paid $1,500 to attend a cash-for-access Liberal Party fundraiser on May 19 at which Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was the prized guest.

The Globe also discovered that Chinese-Canadian grocery entrepreneur Yuansheng Ou Yang, a director and key investor, misrepresented his biography on the Wealth One website. It claimed he had served as a member of China’s National People’s Congress, which is the country’s legislature, and the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), a political advisory board to Beijing.

This would mean that Mr. Ou Yang was a powerful political figure in China before he came to Canada. In interviews The Globe conducted with four of the directors, including the chairman and chief executive, the bank acknowledged the website information was incorrect.

“He has nothing to do with the government’s congress. Nothing. Also, by law, no overseas Chinese is entitled to be a member of the Chinese congress, so there must be a translation mistake,” Mr. Xian said. “He has nothing to do with the legislature, nothing to do with the congress. He is not a 100-per-cent member. He is a Canadian.”

Not to mention the dialogue surrounding the amount of Chinese investment taking place in Canada (not just real estate). To be honest, I don't know what issue is with this but it's definitely ruffling some people's feathers.  Below are some examples of what a quick search found for me. The more I think about it, maybe it has to do with the fact that non-Canadian citizens will have too much influence over our national economy..maybe..I'm not sure.  

Question: How do you guys feel about all of this? Please, don't go all CDC on me and turn this discussion into some irrelevant crap about racism. Be objective as #u$k!! I truly want to learn more about the potential impacts of all this. 

This one is to do with a Chinese company buying stakes in BC based retirement home: Link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/chinese-company-anbang-buys-stake-in-bc-based-retirement-home-chain/article33065536/
This one has to do with Oil Sands Ownership: Link: http://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/liberal-government-reviewing-ban-on-chinese-oilsands-ownership
Trudeaus apparent talks about Chinese Investment: Link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/trudeau-discussed-chinese-investments-at-fundraiser-host-says/article33200126/

Like I said in another thread.

THIS is what you can pin golden boy to the wall on.  he is so frigging flippant about it too.

No we're not doing anything wrong at all.  Except I need you all to forget how I campaigned so loudly against the former government doing this exact same thing so please don't hold me to my words and trust me when I say

We are honest...Transparent....and accountable JT 2015.

Which is nothing like a government being Honest and open and transparent Harper 2008-2015

China is an economic powerhouse at this time in history.  Canada is chump change for them.  Our attraction to them is vast living space and natural resources.  For years our governments have held out the for sale sign to the world and they came a knocking with cash.  Canada is doormat to the world.  Come on in enjoy the best we have to offer,  keep your culture and identity,  slowly alter ours,  and if we complain we are sorry for being racist as we are muti-cultural and racism is not tolerated.  We apologize once again for trying to maintain our heritage and values.

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

THIS is what you can pin golden boy to the wall on.  he is so frigging flippant about it too.

No we're not doing anything wrong at all.  Except I need you all to forget how I campaigned so loudly against the former government doing this exact same thing so please don't hold me to my words and trust me when I say

Which is nothing like a government being Honest and open and transparent Harper 2008-2015

Please tell me you aren't surprised that a politician isn't doing what they said they would. 

Nice to see that we actually have some sort of regulatory body in Canada that can investigate these types of claims, contrary to the US where it just seems to be accepted practice.  That said, the cons and NDP have been scraping the barrel since JT was elected trying to find ways to discredit him.  Not saying he's been perfect, but some of the things they've (cons/ndp) pulled have been a complete mockery of Canada.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbowgate

I personally couldn't care which "party" is in power, in fact I think the entire country would be better off without political parties in the first place.  All they do is create a separation between the MP's and the constituents they are supposed to represent.  The school yard tactics used by our governments these days is just embarrassing to the idea of democracy.  

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You have to admit, if for some reason the NDP got more donations you wouldn't hear a peep out of Horgan :lol:

I would love to see all federal and provincial political fundraisers and personal political tax refunds eliminated. Limit political advertising to a 6 week period during elections only. Fund parties minimally and equitably on a per-vote basis. But I'm a serial optimist. 

3 hours ago, inane said:

Please tell me you aren't surprised that a politician isn't doing what they said they would. 

Haha, that would involve Trudeau having said he would do something. Honestly though, he doesn't say anything when he talks and I think he is too stupid to get policy done... Does anyone listen to him speak? Is there even anyone home inside his brain?

5 hours ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

China is an economic powerhouse at this time in history.  Canada is chump change for them.  Our attraction to them is vast living space and natural resources.  For years our governments have held out the for sale sign to the world and they came a knocking with cash.  Canada is doormat to the world.  Come on in enjoy the best we have to offer,  keep your culture and identity,  slowly alter ours,  and if we complain we are sorry for being racist as we are muti-cultural and racism is not tolerated.  We apologize once again for trying to maintain our heritage and values.

Kind of like the Natives had their culture and identity altered destroyed?

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

When did he campaign against this? To be honest, no matter who the head of the party is they're all the same. Its hilarious how people get so involved in defending or bashing whoever gets elected. Does it ever truly matter..? Harper was just as bad, albeit in different ways. 

15 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Kind of like the Natives had their culture and identity altered destroyed?

I see your point but neither fully agree or disagree.  That statement is worthy of volumes of debate.  Many cultures throughout history have been and I will use the term "altered" by being absorbed by greater numbers and economic shifts.  Slower but more effective and certainly less destructive than a military solution. 

Archived