The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Lightning @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

This video says it all. Mattius - "you play together and for each other. You can fool the media and some other folks, but not in here" - What a beauty!!!

I am not good with computers; but the Ohlund pre-game dressing room talk is money in the bank!

Sorry, not sure how to embed.

That was a great little clip. Thanks for posting that.

"If you want to play in this league a long time you have to compete every day, be a good team mate - you can fool the media, and some other people, but you can't fool your team"

Matthias Ohlund

3 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

sure. and most likely a loss next game if we keep playing like we do.

this thread is very conflicting. I missed the game but would like an honest review of the team. Are we on the mend or were we just lucky?

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

1) Sedins and Hansen were pretty average tonight, really don't have that chemistry anymore and honestly I don't think they'll get it back. The twins were far better with a true sniper like Sutter and Eriksson. Probably our 3rd best line tonight. A couple average one-and-done chances but they were never going to score tonight with Hansen.

2) Horvat, Baertschi and Burrows were amazing again tonight, scored us some big goals and had some lovely plays all night long. IMO they're our first line right now and have been for a while. Horvat again with a lucky yet clutch GWG. Burrows has really elevated his play, he was brilliant tonight again and Baertschi's defensive play is so underated, he's one of the best forecheckers on the team and best defensive forwards out there, really doesn't get recognition for what he's doing. He's stripping pucks and defending the way Kesler did and I think Burrows has a lot to do with it. Brilliant game by the 3 tonight.

3) Granlund and Eriksson have had amazing chemistry all season long, they combine for a bunch of points tonight again and Sutter on their wing gives the two playmakers a nice trigger man. Great line tonight, great offence and Granlund was really flying all night long. Eriksson brings a lot more to this club than just goals, he had some well-earned points but was big on the PK and defensively all night too.

4) Our 4th line didn't do much tonight as per expected but at least they played more than 5 minutes.

5) Sbisa had a monster game, arguably his best of the season, both defensive but also with the big goal obviously. Playing 20 minutes a night is where he's best, any more and he's hopeless.

6) Stecher with another strong performance, this kid can shoulder far more minutes. Not one defensive error all night long, almost all his shots made it through to the net and he was great on the PP. I still think he's our best D-man out there, even when he's not scoring.

7) Hutton had a shaky game, his play has really dropped since last season. Passes aren't as crisp, shots aren't getting through that often (although he has a few goals on the season) and defensively he looks a bit lost and nervous at times. Not his best game.

8) Tanev back made a big difference to the entire team, you could tell because we didn't give up the big chances and odd man rushes we usually do. He was solid defensively all night long and a bit rusty with his passes and keep-ins which is what you expect, but defensively didn't give much away at all. 

9) Biega and Tryamkin were pretty bad tonight, they were the biggest reason we blew the lead in Carolina and Tryamkin's true colours are starting to show. He's physical, yes, but doesn't bring any offence and defensively is a bit of a dumb player. He makes bad mistakes that seem to be fundamental skills, like skating away from his man and behind the net on the first goal, bumping Miller's stick a bit too. That was 100% on Tryamkin. We aren't a good enough team to afford these single guys blowing up and making mistakes that lead to goals. Tryamkin has been BRUTAL the last few games and needs to sit or rest. Whether it's fatigue or poor training, it doesn't matter, WD needs to grow a pair and scratch the big kid. Put anyone else in instead of him.

Biega played better than Tryamkin but not great, their 15 minutes each was well warranted and a big reason we held on to a late 3rd period lead. If Gudbranson is healthy scratch Tryamkin and don't ask any questions.

10) Miller was good tonight, didn't have to make too many big saves apart from a monster 2-on-1 that Tryamkin muffed up and lead to at a crucial time right after the 2-2 tying goal. Solid 20+ saves, a nice tidy night for him.

TL;DR - 2nd and 3rd lines were huge tonight, Hansen doesn't have chemistry with the twins anymore, Tryamkin was terrible again.

Tryamkin is not dumb , he is learning. Not everyone catches on at the same rate. We have been spoiled with guys like stecher , Tanev and Hutton playing so well when they first started out. 

Its not his "true colours" at this point imo 

7 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Tryamkin is not dumb , he is learning. Not everyone catches on at the same rate. We have been spoiled with guys like stecher , Tanev and Hutton playing so well when they first started out. 

Its not his "true colours" at this point imo 

Fair enough, but I think like most young defencemen he'd benefit a LOT from playing with Travis Green down in Utica. If he's going to be too stubborn to learn the right way he's going to keep making these basic fundamental mistakes which you just can't have.

Good defencemen who go through the systems properly like Edler, Tanev and even Hutton (who have all toiled in junior/AHL for ages) have developed their game technically the right way. Even Stecher has, just look at his technique. He is fundamentally sound. Tryamkin is not.

14 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Fair enough, but I think like most young defencemen he'd benefit a LOT from playing with Travis Green down in Utica. If he's going to be too stubborn to learn the right way he's going to keep making these basic fundamental mistakes which you just can't have.

Good defencemen who go through the systems properly like Edler, Tanev and even Hutton (who have all toiled in junior/AHL for ages) have developed their game technically the right way. Even Stecher has, just look at his technique. He is fundamentally sound. Tryamkin is not.

Yeah , I can agree with this. 

8 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

this thread is very conflicting. I missed the game but would like an honest review of the team. Are we on the mend or were we just lucky?

That's a tough question when you word it like that.

Are we improving as a team? In my honest opinion no, we are not improving. On most nights, or worst yet most periods our team doesn't play as a 5 man unit. There's no methodical approach. Something as simple as dumping the puck into open spaces in the o-zone, where our fore-check can retrieve the puck seems to be to difficult to understand for our players. We just carelessly ring it around the boards with our forcheckers standing still at the blue line or throw it on net where the goalie easily makes a play or put it in a great position for the opposition d-men to grab the puck make a quick outlet and they exit the zone, basically just chasing the puck the entire time. The support on our forcheck is terrible too which doesn't make this "game-plan" that we keep using any better.

Are we lucky? depends what we are talking about. Was the Horvat goal a lucky bounce that led to a goal? yes it was. What was grandlund doing you ask? he was aimlessly ringing the puck around. Where was Eriksson? standing still at the blue line. The ring around by grandlund took a lucky bounce off eriksons stick, went on net and Horvat  the only player driving forward got the puck and put it away? was that a play they intended to make? hells no.

I hope that answers your question. Among other things i encourage you to watch the second period highlights of the carolina game and see what a team that is making smart decicions with the puck and working as a 5 man unit can look like.

35 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hutton has been the shakier of the two Try is +4 Hutton is -13. Plus Try with 10.39 hits per 60 mins Hutton with 2.29 hits per 60 mins

Hutton needs Green more than Try Hutton looks lost out there this past two weeks and softer and slower than last year.. btw Gaunce is 9.59 hits per 60 mins

If you add Edler into our lineup, this would make this team even more better. Look what Tanev did tonight. He was instrumental in the team's win. He didn't overly commit on the Tampa players when they had rushes and just let them come to him so he can make a play to stick check them away from the puck. 

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

Horvat line was amazing tonight.

Burrows has been a great mentor for Horvat and Baertschi.

Hutton played great as well, I want to see him play more like this

2 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

We need to keep Tanev with Hutton.

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

Tanev makes a difference and should be kept.

Lets hope WD keeps these lines together.

Yup, I am just going to jump on the bandwagon. Obviously the D looked much better tonight than it did on the road. It is due mainly to switching Tanev for Gudbranson? I think that is an important factor. Hutton is much better with Tanev than he is with Gudbranson. Guddy is big and strong but he does not handle the puck well and that puts a lot of pressure on Hutton. Tanev rarely makes a mistake with the puck and that makes life much easier for Hutton. Instead of scrambling in their own zone as Hutton and Guddy have done most of the season, Tanev usually makes a clean zone exit.

But Sbisa was also a lot better tonight and we can't attribute that to Guddy. Sbisa is good with Stecher. The fact that Stecher can move the puck makes it easier for Sbisa than when Sbisa plays with Tryamkin or Biega. But Sbisa just had a good game.

And as @J-23 said, Horvat, Baertschi and Burrows were very good tonight. So was the Sutter line (with Granny and Eriksson). (Eriksson got two assists on two touches that probably did not add up to even a full second of puck possession time.)

13 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Hutton has been the shakier of the two Try is +4 Hutton is -13. Plus Try with 10.39 hits per 60 mins Hutton with 2.29 hits per 60 mins

Hutton needs Green more than Try Hutton looks lost out there this past two weeks and softer and slower than last year.. btw Gaunce is 9.59 hits per 60 mins

Won't argue with the fact that Hutton needs a bit of help too. We've rushed both these guys who have played very limited time in the AHL and the result is pretty clear. Some players are lucky they're talented enough and have had a good enough development (eg. Tanev, Stecher) that they can stay in the NHL but Hutton and Tryamkin certainly aren't. The only reason they're playing is because of how thin we are and injuries.

We're in a tough situation where we don't have the depth on the left to allow Hutton to learn in the AHL unfortunately, so I think the best thing for him is to try and shelter his minutes and take him down a notch similar to what WD did to Horvat at the start of the season and let him work and earn his way back up into the top-4 as opposed to just gifting him top-4 minutes

In the ideal world we have these pairings and minutes in my opinion when all healthy:

Edler (22m) - Stecher (20m)

Hutton (20m) - Tanev (22m)

Sbisa (18m) - Gudbranson (18m)

Those are regular 5-on-5 ice time minute pairings. The only difference in ice-times will be PPs and PKs. Edler will log big PK minutes, 2nd unit PP minutes. Stecher 1st unit PP minutes only. Hutton 1st or 2nd unit PP minutes only and a tiny bit of PK if needed. Tanev, Sbisa and Gudbranson all log only PK minutes. Therefore ice-time will really depend on the games. Of course, if we're holding a healthy lead we play everyone evenly. If we're pushing for a lead I say we play our top pairing more to push for offence.

Most importantly, we have Edler mentoring Stecher and protecting him.

We have Hutton being able to free-wheel a bit with Tanev as a very valuable mentor and defensive stop-gap. Gudbranson had limited success with Hutton because he's simply not as sound defensively and can be a bit nervous at times too. Tanev eliminates that.

Sbisa and Gudbranson give us a good, sound, physical bottom pairing.

If the difference that Tanev and Hansen make wasn't already evident to people, tonight should make it pretty obvious - and that is these guys in shaking off the rust mode.

Really great game to watch - the kind of tight, puck support you expect from this team when they're approaching a healthy lineup.

Nice to see Sbisa score - he's been very solid and deserves all the rewards he gets.

Wes McCauley was his usual, horrible self.  Did his best to game manage another loss for this team, but thankfully we finally got some luck and a much deserved break on the Horvat goal.

The boost they get from Tanev really enhances the Sedins' game - spend far less time chasing play without the puck.  His puck retrieval and extremely quick transition puck movement is simply elite.

Was really impressed with Sutter tonight.  Beyond the obvious domination in the circle and the goal, he was stifling in the shutdown part of his role.

Also nice to see Loui get a lucky assist - he deserved that - has had some horrible luck this year.

All in all the kind of game this team is capable of - and couldn't happen on a better night with Matti Oh being honored.

Archived