The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Lightning @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

1) Sedins and Hansen were pretty average tonight, really don't have that chemistry anymore and honestly I don't think they'll get it back. The twins were far better with a true sniper like Sutter and Eriksson. Probably our 3rd best line tonight. A couple average one-and-done chances but they were never going to score tonight with Hansen.

A true sniper in Sutter and Eriksson? I'm sorry but...What?

55 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Yup, I am just going to jump on the bandwagon. Obviously the D looked much better tonight than it did on the road. It is due mainly to switching Tanev for Gudbranson? I think that is an important factor. Hutton is much better with Tanev than he is with Gudbranson. Guddy is big and strong but he does not handle the puck well and that puts a lot of pressure on Hutton. Tanev rarely makes a mistake with the puck and that makes life much easier for Hutton. Instead of scrambling in their own zone as Hutton and Guddy have done most of the season, Tanev usually makes a clean zone exit.

But Sbisa was also a lot better tonight and we can't attribute that to Guddy. Sbisa is good with Stecher. The fact that Stecher can move the puck makes it easier for Sbisa than when Sbisa plays with Tryamkin or Biega. But Sbisa just had a good game.

And as @J-23 said, Horvat, Baertschi and Burrows were very good tonight. So was the Sutter line (with Granny and Eriksson). (Eriksson got two assists on two touches that probably did not add up to even a full second of puck possession time.)

Wish yood pay attn as well as me. Saw Eriksson tell the boys at the bench, "blast the biscuit at my noggin', & I'll tip it where we need it."

Clever.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Won't argue with the fact that Hutton needs a bit of help too. We've rushed both these guys who have played very limited time in the AHL and the result is pretty clear. Some players are lucky they're talented enough and have had a good enough development (eg. Tanev, Stecher) that they can stay in the NHL but Hutton and Tryamkin certainly aren't. The only reason they're playing is because of how thin we are and injuries.

We're in a tough situation where we don't have the depth on the left to allow Hutton to learn in the AHL unfortunately, so I think the best thing for him is to try and shelter his minutes and take him down a notch similar to what WD did to Horvat at the start of the season and let him work and earn his way back up into the top-4 as opposed to just gifting him top-4 minutes

In the ideal world we have these pairings and minutes in my opinion when all healthy:

Edler (22m) - Stecher (20m)

Hutton (20m) - Tanev (22m)

Sbisa (18m) - Gudbranson (18m)

Those are regular 5-on-5 ice time minute pairings. The only difference in ice-times will be PPs and PKs. Edler will log big PK minutes, 2nd unit PP minutes. Stecher 1st unit PP minutes only. Hutton 1st or 2nd unit PP minutes only and a tiny bit of PK if needed. Tanev, Sbisa and Gudbranson all log only PK minutes. Therefore ice-time will really depend on the games. Of course, if we're holding a healthy lead we play everyone evenly. If we're pushing for a lead I say we play our top pairing more to push for offence.

Most importantly, we have Edler mentoring Stecher and protecting him.

We have Hutton being able to free-wheel a bit with Tanev as a very valuable mentor and defensive stop-gap. Gudbranson had limited success with Hutton because he's simply not as sound defensively and can be a bit nervous at times too. Tanev eliminates that.

Sbisa and Gudbranson give us a good, sound, physical bottom pairing.

your missing tryamkin on d core bro  hes got best plus minus on team and hes a rookie and a hitting machine 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

If the difference that Tanev and Hansen make wasn't already evident to people, tonight should make it pretty obvious - and that is these guys in shaking off the rust mode.

Really great game to watch - the kind of tight, puck support you expect from this team when they're approaching a healthy lineup.

Nice to see Sbisa score - he's been very solid and deserves all the rewards he gets.

Wes McCauley was his usual, horrible self.  Did his best to game manage another loss for this team, but thankfully we finally got some luck and a much deserved break on the Horvat goal.

The boost they get from Tanev really enhances the Sedins' game - spend far less time chasing play without the puck.  His puck retrieval and extremely quick transition puck movement is simply elite.

Was really impressed with Sutter tonight.  Beyond the obvious domination in the circle and the goal, he was stifling in the shutdown part of his role.

Also nice to see Loui get a lucky assist - he deserved that - has had some horrible luck this year.

All in all the kind of game this team is capable of - and couldn't happen on a better night with Matti Oh being honored.

They have to do it consistently though which is the problem. Any team can have a good game, bad game, bad game, good game type of result. It's consistently playing the right way for 60 min that makes the difference with the consistency.

It seems to me anytime the Sedins go over 20 min per game we struggle same as when Bo goes under about 17. Part of the problems with consistency come down to deployment and usage. When Willie gets that close to right the team tends to give a more consistent effort.

If Tanev and Hansen are the keys to the team winning why did the team actually have a better record with them both out of the lineup? They are key additions but I don't think either of them or even both of them can be expected to right the inconsistency we see game to game. I mean, I would love for that to be true but it's just not. Both were part of the 9 game losing streak weren't they?

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Was up for 30 continuous hrs and passed out before the game. I really wanted to see the Kenny Ohlund ROH thing. Lame. 

ohlie's soundibte was like, murph asking him if he'd make a comeback and ohlie said "i don't give a **** about the game anymore. i'm retired, but, yea sure"

4 hours ago, hearditall said:

Even tho we are naturally tanking without going out & blatantly admitting it cause WE ARE REAL CANADIANS...

Where's the tankers tonight? :lol::towel:

last I heard most of them were sailing aimlessly somewhere up in the gulf of Alaska :lol:

6 hours ago, J-23 said:

Horvat line was amazing tonight.

Burrows has been a great mentor for Horvat and Baertschi.

Hutton played great as well, I want to see him play more like this

Sorry, did you actually say Hutton played great? Did you watch the game or was that a hit and hope?

Hutton is in a slump, almost everything he did led to a misplaced pass or a giveaway. I really like Hutton because even though his play is poor just now he never lets up, gives 100% and doesn't shirk responsibility but he is snake bit at present.

6 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

He was OK except for one play where he rung it around the boards to no one but a TB player. It was just nice to see the right guy out at the right time tonight. 

Well I have to say (Biega) compared to Ben, he was a standout. Poor CT is going to have his work cut out covering for Hutton until he comes out of his slump. Actually I think Ben's form drop affected Guddy.

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They have to do it consistently though which is the problem. Any team can have a good game, bad game, bad game, good game type of result. It's consistently playing the right way for 60 min that makes the difference with the consistency.

It seems to me anytime the Sedins go over 20 min per game we struggle same as when Bo goes under about 17. Part of the problems with consistency come down to deployment and usage. When Willie gets that close to right the team tends to give a more consistent effort.

If Tanev and Hansen are the keys to the team winning why did the team actually have a better record with them both out of the lineup? They are key additions but I don't think either of them or even both of them can be expected to right the inconsistency we see game to game. I mean, I would love for that to be true but it's just not. Both were part of the 9 game losing streak weren't they?

I'm sure I heard the commentator say the Canucks record WAS better with Tanev in the line up but I may have been mistaken.

Anyway I agree with you I doubt one player especially a D can make so much of a difference although the commentator also stated iho the Canucks would not have lost to Carolina if CT had been playing and I tend to agree with that observation (a calm head)

As Oldnews says, I don't think either will be up to speed until they get 5 or 6 games under their belt.

7 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

How Swede it is. 

Great moment during the ceremonial faceoff.

Thanks man, missed the game and was bummed I missed the ceremony. The toughest swede to ever play the game and nobody else is even close. I always felt he never got enough credit for how good he was. I'm glad he is now. I think Trevor Linden had a lot to do with that. Good work Trev. 

Ohlund is such a class guy. A total rock on our defence. That stupid eye injury. To think he could have been better. You can see why Mattias and Trevor didn't mind being roommates. Both awesome people. I'm not going to lie, I choked up a little with Clouts praise. As a goalie he saw first hand how good Ohlund was. 

Thanks Mattias! Does your oldest son play hockey? Should we be scouting him? 

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Canuck's record with Tanev in the line-up is 5 - 3 - 1.......

Archived