4 hours ago, Creepy Crawler said:

It's normal for the ref to yell in the game,

"watch that stick"

"keep the puck moving"

"stop yapping and keep playing"

"look where you're going"

"one more time and you're going to the box"

etc.

Offside and icing (or rather "no ice") warnings too. 

On 12/18/2016 at 2:10 AM, khay said:

Thanks for the detailed response. I can certainly respect such well thought out post.

Although I agree with most of your post (for example, the freezing of the puck), I was just asking myself if in the NFL, a player is coming from the blindside, would a ref yell at the player being targeted? I know, different sport and all but in both sports, hitting (from blindside) is allowed. I think at the NHL level, the ref's just gotta let the play develop.

Thank you for that.

From my perspective, trying to compare how NFL and NHL refs communicate with players on the field is not just comparing different sports, but comparing apples to elephants really. For the most part, NFL action is very stop start with much more downtime in between plays than any actual individual play, whereas NHL play is [hopefully] continuous and whistle free for minutes on end. Again, my point is about the combination of safety while maintaining flow of play. We can agree to disagree here, but I'll never be convinced to let the play be developed to the point where a player be crushed blindside. With all we know about head injuries, the speed of the game, and how armoured the individual players all are, you'll have an impossible time convincing the league, the NHLPA, and the NHL Officials Association of accepting that stance moving forward. 

10 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Thank you for that.

From my perspective, trying to compare how NFL and NHL refs communicate with players on the field is not just comparing different sports, but comparing apples to elephants really. For the most part, NFL action is very stop start with much more downtime in between plays than any actual individual play, whereas NHL play is [hopefully] continuous and whistle free for minutes on end. Again, my point is about the combination of safety while maintaining flow of play. We can agree to disagree here, but I'll never be convinced to let the play be developed to the point where a player be crushed blindside. With all we know about head injuries, the speed of the game, and how armoured the individual players all are, you'll have an impossible time convincing the league, the NHLPA, and the NHL Officials Association of accepting that stance moving forward. 

It's hard to argue against your points because you make good points and I don't necessarily disagree with you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe that the refs should never get involved in the game in any way when the play is on. That includes verbal involvement. But if the nature of the game requires that the refs to be involved, say, for the safety of the players, then I agree that it's needed.

It's like one of those things in life, like government policies that you don't support but you see the benefits of it, so you accept it. For example, tax. No one likes to pay taxes but people know why it exists and why it's needed, so it's accepted.

I don't like the refs getting involved verbally but I see the benefits of it as you explained, so I accept it. 

Refs at the NHL level have less to do with yelling to warn players who might be on the receiving end and more to caution players who are looking to do something bad. Obviously in a fast paced situation they won't be able to prevent a dangerous play, but they can read players who are out of position and looking to get an illegal edge and will interact to prevent it before they have to resort to a whistle.

On 2016-12-17 at 11:19 AM, Alflives said:

Don't good refs "yell" at the players, so the players can hear them?  And isn't it mostly about encouraging players to move the puck, keep their sticks down, and the like?  Isn't the yelling more of a warning?  Refs have "yelled" like this from the beginning, no?

No its just the new NHL has refs that want to be noticed  feeling like they are part of the game. Weird because they don't get out of the way like in the good old days where fans are not supposed to notice the refs . Now they almost interfere with play.

1 minute ago, snucks said:

No its just the new NHL has refs that want to be noticed  feeling like they are part of the game. Weird because they don't get out of the way like in the good old days where fans are not supposed to notice the refs . Now they almost interfere with play.

The older refs were more part of the game I thought.  They didn't wear helmets, and had character.  Kerry Fraser, for example.

On 2016-12-17 at 0:36 PM, elvis15 said:

Refs communicating during the game is a positive. The only other way they can influence the game is to blow the whistle. What they want is for the game to continue to move along without whistles, so they let the players know what's going on and they try to encourage continued, positive play.

The NHL does not want the play to keep moving; they only want lots of commercials which slow down the game and ruin it. The refs also don't get out of the way any more, actually impeding the game, but being more a part of it. That is what they want in the new NHL. The best game are always the ones with less stoppages and less ref involvement. They should go back to one ref, and no game decisions being made mega miles away. I hate games where the refs are "playing" the game instead of reffing it.

Its one particular ref that is always yelling for the entire game, our dear friend Kelly freaking Sutherland.  I don't mind the refs talking when they have to like "keep the stick down" etc.. but he takes it to a whole otha level. If I was a player I'd be annoyed as %$&* hearing that all game. It must be distracting, and there's nothing they can do about it or get in his bad books. I swear he thinks he's the play by play guy at ice level. He likes to hear himself talk. Its 90% totally unnecessary with him. I wish he'd shut up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2016 at 11:16 AM, snucks said:

I hate the way they ref now. Who came up with the brilliant idea to have refs doing all the talking (yelling) in a game. The refs are not team players. Its almost like, "Who's side are they on anyhow?" They are supposed to be neutral. No wonder the players don't communicate anymore. The refs are doing all the talking. Then they can't even make a call in a game. They have to call over the phone to determine the correct call. The NHL has ruined the game of hockey.

i love how they came up with this game management concept and have admitted in interviews they use it to generate interest and excitement in games..............................................................are you kidding me,thats tantamount to admitting there's no integrity,they don't tell you this game management favours large market teams all you have to do is open your eyes to see it.now remember all those times this game management worked for us,they were killing SJ Sharks in the playoffs a few years ago.remember the GAME MANAGEMENT employed by the refs to make it more even?yea right,they threw the book at us to insure SJ won,same thing but to a lesser extent with the LA series.  

On 12/17/2016 at 0:36 PM, elvis15 said:

Refs communicating during the game is a positive. The only other way they can influence the game is to blow the whistle. What they want is for the game to continue to move along without whistles, so they let the players know what's going on and they try to encourage continued, positive play.

i don't think they should ever tell a player when or how to move the puck.they can't even do their own jobs.

Archived