The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Andrey Pedan

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

They say he  played 13 games last year...I think he was up for that many but certainly didnt play in 13 and when he did play it was out of position and garbage time..the games he did play in he led the team in hits at 3.1 per game..and had a few fights.... his first NHL game was almost one year ago to the day against LA where he took Jordan Nolan to school.....I find it funny that some can find so much wrong with him in such a small sample size.

Exactly...he might be crap like Weber and Larsen are but at least give him a fair chance to prove that he is crap like Weber and Larsen got...

just another way at looking at it from a crap point of view.

As it stands, we don't know if he is crap...

Just now, ajhockey said:

Sorry, but this is a massive amount of disrespect to one of the longest-serving defensemen in Canucks history. Pedan hasn't exactly shown he's any better than Edler. 0 points in 13 games last year in the NHL and just 3 points in 19 games in the AHL this year is a far cry from what Edler can provide.

Thankfully, Benning has enough sense not to use petty and downright disrespectful tactics like that with Edler

Pettiness has nothing to do with it. He HASN'T performed commensurate to compensation. Incredibly uneven(yo yo consistency) for a lengthy 5 mill AAV-deal.

It's harsh, but pro sport in performance-based. Especially in a cap ceiling reality.

He's been a good pro, just the same. So perhaps propose a list of 10 places he'd rather not go.

The pc(bleeding heart for every snowflake) approach will achieve polite-mediocrity, at best. We're trying to build a championship roster here. We're not arranging a team of teachers for a kindergarten.

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Gotta feeling Pedan might surprise us. Stick him with Tanev, & you might have a pairing with almost every element(that's damned affordable!)

I gotta think you don't get to see the team live too much. Was at the game last night. Tanev's return.  Hutton played with him and looked like last year's Hutton. Was great to see. Pedan is not ready to be paired with Tanev. I'd like to see him get a shot but when I've seen him live he looks like a project. So some 3rd pairing minutes and time on ice and we will find out if he can play in the league.

3 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Yeah, and then the Canucks can trade their 1st for 2017 to Vegas to get Edler back,,, and then put him on waivers, again.  That will show him who's boss. :)

regards,  G.

I can't see any team parting with a 1st round pick to aquire Elder, a 3rd maybe. 

Scratch  biega play pedan 4 games

send down pedan play biega 2 game call up subban 

Scratch biega  play subban 3-4 games 

continue cycling in prospects for short stints. 

continue doing this so guys get a look at the NHL and even though brief it gives management a chance  to watch how they fit in on and off the ice in the hi stress NHL market ,and it gives fans something to be excited about watching. 

The same could be said with the fourth line /forward prospects. 

Teach  develop and entertain. 

3 hours ago, EmilyM said:

I like how Edler is criticized for being inconsistent. And in the same breath, Pedan, who has been just about the most inconsistent player in Utica this year, should be given an opportunity. We have such a huge love affair with tall players here.

Edler dserves more scrutiny at this stage of his career.....far more experience 

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I want Pedan to succeed as much as the next guy, but everybody here is daydreaming.  

Guys, he is TRYING to become a 6th NHL defenceman.  What kind of crack are you guys smoking if you are talking about Pedan providing toughness and replacing Gudbrandson in our D?  

If Pedan can play in the NHL without being a liability, I'll be over the moon.  

Pedan is not a liability, the times he has been up he has been good enough.  In fact I would say in a number of ways an upgrade on Gud who has been close to horrible.  Pedan is definitely faster.   Subban scores tonight, when is this kid going to get a proper look.

43 minutes ago, combover said:

Scratch  biega play pedan 4 games

send down pedan play biega 2 game call up subban 

Scratch biega  play subban 3-4 games 

continue cycling in prospects for short stints. 

continue doing this so guys get a look at the NHL and even though brief it gives management a chance  to watch how they fit in on and off the ice in the hi stress NHL market ,and it gives fans something to be excited about watching. 

The same could be said with the fourth line /forward prospects. 

Teach  develop and entertain. 

I would agree.  What amazes me is they got Subban down who again scored tonight and looked good but we don't want to see what he looks  so we can get a decent return on him down the road.   I would easily put in subban over biega

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Pettiness has nothing to do with it. He HASN'T performed commensurate to compensation. Incredibly uneven(yo yo consistency) for a lengthy 5 mill AAV-deal.

It's harsh, but pro sport in performance-based. Especially in a cap ceiling reality.

He's been a good pro, just the same. So perhaps propose a list of 10 places he'd rather not go.

The pc(bleeding heart for every snowflake) approach will achieve polite-mediocrity, at best. We're trying to build a championship roster here. We're not arranging a team of teachers for a kindergarten.

Edler at half speed is worth 4 Pedan's. 

If Gudbranson is out long term, Willie will likely ride Biega like a rented mule, in the process getting him up to his expansion eligibility requirement.  Other injuries and circumstance will get Pedan into the lineup, to also see if he can finally get his game up to consistent NHL standard, and if so further greasing the skids for us to move a veteran D-man for a top-6 forward.  Also another stake to the heart of playoff hopes, which would increase the likelihood of moving assets at the TDL.

All going according to plan.

8 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

... Trade Edler. Tell him we'll expose his contract to Vegas..he'll agree to go somewhere better. ...

As long as the Canucks' management professes to be trying to make the playoffs each and every year that is nothing more than a threat to bite off their nose to spite their face.  They aren't going to give the skater who plays the most minutes for them on defence (maybe too many minutes to get full effectiveness from him) for nothing and that would be obvious to Edler and his agent.    

Only if the team went into full tank mode would such a threat be credible.

8 hours ago, Trebreh said:

how about actually play him this time... <_<

Also if we have Pedan & Try's size on the line, we could even move one more tough D-man. Moving Gud & Edler could really add some young offensive pieces.

Yup, I want to see Pedan actually play. I don't know why WD is so reluctant to give him a shot. And he brings size and toughness and a good top speed and he makes a lot of hits.

8 hours ago, Rush17 said:

with Juolevi coming up next year we probably could and still be decent.

Hutton tanev

tryamkin stecher

Juolevi Biega 

pedan 

it looks young  now but if our young guys keep progressing it could be a reality. I'd rather have tanev as a veteran staple in our backend then edler.  guddy is good but tanev is better.  that d is probably too green though for the org.  I'm just worried if our team will be picked on again if guddy is dealt.

Tryamkin is big and physical but he is focused on the play more then wearing people down.  not that he doesn't.  pedan in top 6 would solve that issue though. 

The top 4 is not bad, but it does require wishful thinking. I think the Canucks should keep Edler and play him with Stecher.   And I doubt if Juolevi will be ready next year. He still needs to add quite of weight and strength and, while he is good in the OHL this year, it is not like has been dominant.

Yeah, +1 Rush(but only carry negative-currency). Tired of Edler's pattern..an all star performance, then disappear like Copperfield for games. We need more spontaneous combustion, & Tasmanian Devil-lunacy!

After watching Tanev's return yesterday, I took my finger off the trade button. Dude's a rock.

I feel the same: Edler is done, Tanev is a rock.   Tanev is incredibly re-assuring to see out there. 

Hate to trade him... but imagine if you can get a pick that turns out like a Marner or a Schieffele? 

18 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Point out the advantage of throwing away a valuable asset... and yes, Edler is a valuable asset. Really. No fooling.

Getting rid of a player like Edler in this fashion is indeed saying to the rest of the league, "Hey, we're tanking!" Personally, I find such a strategy to be despicable and I'd give up on the team at that point.

The Canucks do gain cap space, and then do what with it? Acquire a UFA or two? Why do that when it takes away from potential playing time for the team's prospects? Not the optimal plan in my books, chum.

And for those who want a tank, if Edler is so bad then why do you want him to leave? He plays a lot of hard minutes, often with strangers for a partner, and having him do that allows the younger talents to play a more sheltered game. Either way you get your losses, and this way the prospects get to develop and gain some confidence. 

regards,  G.

You move Edler or Tanev for forward assets because they have the most value not just on the stronger d-side depth but likely on the whole roster. You do it because the forward group is very weak. It is an opportunity for a young group to mature towards competitiveness together. I see this as a choice between the two not both leaving.

The 'tanking' cliché is getting pretty tired when the Canucks are sitting at 29 in a league of 30 teams. Seriously, you're still talking about tanking. If you are prepared to quit the Canucks if Edler is moved then you have to much stress watching this org rebuild. Take a break.

11 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

If Gudbranson is out long term, Willie will likely ride Biega like a rented mule, in the process getting him up to his expansion eligibility requirement.  Other injuries and circumstance will get Pedan into the lineup, to also see if he can finally get his game up to consistent NHL standard, and if so further greasing the skids for us to move a veteran D-man for a top-6 forward.  Also another stake to the heart of playoff hopes, which would increase the likelihood of moving assets at the TDL.

All going according to plan.

Biega will rack up enough games for Vegas eligibility soon enough. Once January roles around I am hoping Benning makes a trade move before the TDL. Pickings could be thin as teams worry about the Vegas clip. I am hoping for many the threat is not as bad as we suspect as a team can only lose one player. Vegas will be dealing before the draft with teams trying to protect their exposed players. Quite simply Van does not have a lot to lose.  

15 hours ago, Pete M said:

Exactly...he might be crap like Weber and Larsen are but at least give him a fair chance to prove that he is crap like Weber and Larsen got...

just another way at looking at it from a crap point of view.

As it stands, we don't know if he is crap...

the "crap" test :lol: 

i guess thats what happens when your prospect pool gets depleted, you look for the least crappiest guy.

If Biega hits his 19 games which he surely will now then that will allow us to protect Sbisa and trade Tanev for a top 6 forward prospect. Sbisa will be needed next year and Tanev is our best chip on D right now to get a top winger or centre prospect. 

If we luck out and win the lottery and draft Nolan Patrick then we can add a winger to play with him.

It's a fluid situation so hopefully Benning makes the right moves here. What Benning does over the next 6 months including the draft could define this team for the next decade. 

Archived