The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Andrey Pedan

-Vintage Canuck-

34 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

If Biega hits his 19 games which he surely will now then that will allow us to protect Sbisa and trade Tanev for a top 6 forward prospect. Sbisa will be needed next year and Tanev is our best chip on D right now to get a top winger or centre prospect. 

If we luck out and win the lottery and draft Nolan Patrick then we can add a winger to play with him.

It's a fluid situation so hopefully Benning makes the right moves here. What Benning does over the next 6 months including the draft could define this team for the next decade. 

When Linden and Benning came in I said then that their coversion of vets to draft picks and prospects would be the defining moment of their tenure. That didn't work out so well to date. I agree with you that the next 6 months is critical but extend the timeline to a year. I say that because the Vegas draft likely dominates the NHL thought process. Once that is out of the way I can see more clubs being interested in dealing. That said I still think that either Tanev or Edler should be moved for that top 6 forward as long as he is 25 or younger.  

On 12/18/2016 at 9:01 AM, Boudrias said:

You move Edler or Tanev for forward assets because they have the most value not just on the stronger d-side depth but likely on the whole roster. You do it because the forward group is very weak. It is an opportunity for a young group to mature towards competitiveness together. I see this as a choice between the two not both leaving.

The 'tanking' cliché is getting pretty tired when the Canucks are sitting at 29 in a league of 30 teams. Seriously, you're still talking about tanking. If you are prepared to quit the Canucks if Edler is moved then you have to much stress watching this org rebuild. Take a break.

Uhm, please go back and check the post to which I was responding. I have no particular problem with moving any particular player, but in this case the proposal was to threaten to  waive Edler in order to force an agreement on his part. In this case the team does not get any assets, forward or otherwise. 

regards,  G.

On 2016-12-18 at 1:35 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Happy to see Pedan called up. Hopefully he gets some game time.   I don't think playing a few rooks is going to cost us our cup this year.....

Don't want to many big guys on the D it might screw up the chemistry.

On December 24, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Gollumpus said:

Uhm, please go back and check the post to which I was responding. I have no particular problem with moving any particular player, but in this case the proposal was to threaten to  waive Edler in order to force an agreement on his part. In this case the team does not get any assets, forward or otherwise. 

regards,  G.

Not to mention the fact that bullying a player into giving up a contract term that they negotiated in good faith, is a pretty stupid thing to do if you ever have any plans to sign any desirable free agents in the future. Something the "NMCs and NTCs mean nothing" crowd choose not to understand.

24 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Just a note of interest, Utica has lost 3 in a row without Pedan in the line up...currently on a 6 game losing streak.

Can't read too much into the results due to the 6 game losing skid.

Hard for Utica to win when pretty much most of the Utica team is playing for the Canucks this year......

On 12/18/2016 at 9:35 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Happy to see Pedan called up. Hopefully he gets some game time.   I don't think playing a few rooks is going to cost us our cup this year.....

No but it will likely lead to another "whinefest" on here if we are defeated - and that seems more likely with Pedan playing imo. Oh well let's hope I'm wrong, he's earned another shot (not by his play in Utica though) just by being patient.

If he doesn't try too hard, keeps things simple and doesn't get caught puck watching hopefully he will be fine.

Hopeful to see Pedan play soon.

personally, I'm not interested in winning games as a priority anymore..

But our compete level and playing time for call ups should be.

Pedan has not been handled well by WD to date..  he threw him in as a forward, and again into the thick of games against a tough Kings team last year.

Im anxious to see Andrey play, but not by throwing him into fires with high expectations on performance or listening to condescending analytics from this Coach.

Pedan has a lot to show, hope he gets his fair share of opportunity.

On 12/27/2016 at 9:00 AM, WeneedLumme said:

Not to mention the fact that bullying a player into giving up a contract term that they negotiated in good faith, is a pretty stupid thing to do if you ever have any plans to sign any desirable free agents in the future. Something the "NMCs and NTCs mean nothing" crowd choose not to understand.

Yup.

This is a question for the "players with NTCs get trade all the time" crowd to consider, what do they say when a popular player (like Horvat) reaches UFA status, and he laughs at the team when they offer a NMC/NTC clause in exchange for a more cap friendly contract? What incentive is there for a player to give a team a break if he knows the team will elect to violate the contract at their pleasure? Personally, I'd tell them to take a hike.

regards,  G.

On 12/17/2016 at 3:05 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

"Chum" is a lowly salmon I recommend you don't BBQ. There's a lot at steak here. We could poach a few small fry, if we smoke some GM inna' deal.

Hmm, it's breakfast time, & I'm hungry.

This sounds a bit fishy to me. 

regards,  G.

PS - how was breakfast?

On 2016-12-28 at 11:50 AM, SilentSam said:

Hopeful to see Pedan play soon.

personally, I'm not interested in winning games as a priority anymore..

But our compete level and playing time for call ups should be.

Pedan has not been handled well by WD to date..  he threw him in as a forward, and again into the thick of games against a tough Kings team last year.

Im anxious to see Andrey play, but not by throwing him into fires with high expectations on performance or listening to condescending analytics from this Coach.

Pedan has a lot to show, hope he gets his fair share of opportunity.

Well Pedan would have been better than Edler last night I'm sure but WD prefered Edler. He doesn't want too many big guys on his team. He wants to go according to his trusted clip board.

Edler has decent size but his defence is seriously lacking. Miller saved WD's butt last night.

The sad part about the Canucks are; there are some good parts, but right now the worst parts are; the president, GM, and coach.

50 minutes ago, snucks said:

Well Pedan would have been better than Edler last night I'm sure but WD prefered Edler. He doesn't want too many big guys on his team. He wants to go according to his trusted clip board.

Edler has decent size but his defence is seriously lacking. Miller saved WD's butt last night.

The sad part about the Canucks are; there are some good parts, but right now the worst parts are; the president, GM, and coach.

Agree with you snucks..

I think JB is a good GM,.  But I believe his hands are tied by ownership.. Linden is their puppet.

Linden has old ties with WD,. and I think he was the persuader in the hiring of WD.

Heard earlier this year that JB felt he had an opportunity to speed up the development process and approached Linden and the Owners on it, but was shot down.

I don't think anything would help this Coach and his approach.. I'm sick of the trap, and regurgitating special teams.

1 hour ago, snucks said:

can you please explain what you're basing your thesis that Pedan would have been better than Edler last night on?  I only know what I saw of Pedan last year, curious as to what I've missed.  

2 minutes ago, skategal said:

can you please explain what you're basing your thesis that Pedan would have been better than Edler last night on?  I only know what I saw of Pedan last year, curious as to what I've missed.  

Pedan won our fastest skater.  He's really fast.  

2 hours ago, snucks said:

You're advocating for Pedan over Edler? That doesn't make any sense. Edler was rusty last night but if he's healthy enough to play then he plays, simple as that. 

I'm all for giving our youth a chance to play but who comes out of the lineup for Pedan? No one. Definitely not our best defenseman (arguably). 

The only defensemen that would sit for Pedan are Biega and Larsen. 

People are quick to forget that every NHL team had the opportunity to claim Pedan and passed. He's a depth defenseman who has yet to prove that he can even be a viable #7. He's not even a top guy in Utica. Classic example of CDC over valuing our prospects. 

2 hours ago, snucks said:

I like Pedan too but I'm sure he will be on a plane back to Utica soon with the return of Edler.

Archived