The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Cleared Waivers] Blue Jackets F Gregory Campbell

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/blue-jackets-place-gregory-campbell-unconditional-waivers/

Campbell will be on waivers for the next 48 hours, and, if no team claims him, he will be released from his current two-year $3 million contract signed in July of 2015 and be eligible to sign as an unrestricted free agent.

The 33-year-old veteran made headlines earlier in October when he faced a team-imposed suspension for failing to report to the Blue Jackets' AHL affiliate, the Cleveland Monsters.

In his first season with Columbus, Campbell played in all 82 games and registered three goals and eight assists. Over his 12-year NHL career (Florida Panthers, Boston Bruins), Campbell has amassed 71 goals, 116 assists and 696 penalty minutes.

He has not played a game for the Blue Jackets this season.

38 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Well he did manage 12 years in the league. I'm still of the opinion that his dad helped the Bruins run.

Most likely.  Once the Bruins were out of contention, they dumped him because his daddy could no longer help them enough to get them a cup.

47 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Well he did manage 12 years in the league. I'm still of the opinion that his dad helped the Bruins run.

It certainly seems that way. Especially after their collapse the prior season. 

Hope no one signs him. He's not willing to prove himself in the AHL, that says enough about his character. 

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

The idea of unconditional waivers is not for them to become a free agent available to other NHL teams. It does often allow players to leave for Europe or something similar though. If he passes, I highly doubt any NHL team signs him.

I thought unconditional waivers were when a player is bailing to go to a European league etc. 

is this possible to void the contract becuase he was a no show for the AHL and received a suspension? 

could this same thing be used with what the Canucks are facing if Lou wants to retire early? 

17 hours ago, Whale Tail said:

I thought unconditional waivers were when a player is bailing to go to a European league etc. 

is this possible to void the contract becuase he was a no show for the AHL and received a suspension? 

could this same thing be used with what the Canucks are facing if Lou wants to retire early? 

Usually it is, but it's highly unlikely we'd be able to use it for Luongo. For one he'd have to be traded to us (not impossible) but then we'd have to have some reason where he wouldn't report (to the AHL or even to us). I don't think he'd be a guy who'd bother with scrapping the remainder of his contract to go to Europe, so it couldn't just be a mutual decision for no other reason - that's called retirement.

On 2016-12-17 at 9:03 PM, Whale Tail said:

If you're talking about recapture penalties, terminating the contract at this point would effectively be the same as having Luongo retire. That horse is already out of the barn. The cap advantage accrued to-date will be repaid in full (against our salary cap), spread over whatever length of term remains in the deal at the time it's either terminated or ended by retirement. There's no way out (other than buyout and that ship pretty much sailed when we didn't use a compliance buyout).

EDIT: I shouldn't say there's "no way out" as I still hope the Canucks will attempt to seek a remedy, possibly through legal means. But as things stand today, they're on the hook for any cap advantage they gained while he was here.

An example is the Mike Richards contract termination. Even before the grievance was filed, the termination meant that all the cap advantage penalties would be paid over the five years remaining in that deal (after termination):

if the contract termination is held up, the Kings will face a cap recapture penalty of $1.35-million for the next five seasons

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-terminate-mike-richards-contract-cite-breach/

And after the grievance, the Kings still pay the full cap recapture, plus an additional hit for the settlement (for all the specifics of what they're paying, see the bottom of this page).

EDIT: More accurately, the settlement payout slightly reduces the cap recapture penalty (from $1.35 to $1.32 million, every year for the five remaining years on the contract), because whatever monies they pay to Richards in settlement (over the original contract term) affect the recapture calculation. But the effective cap hit charged to the team remains the same when you add those annual cap hits together (over the length of recapture). And then the settlement continues (after recapture is done).

Archived