The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Henrik Tommernes

OptionalPants

Just a quick question for anyone who follows the swedish league closer then me (which is just about not at all). I was always a fan of Henrik Tommernes back when he was Canucks property and was a little disappointed he left to Sweden before he ever got a shot in the NHL (not too fussed but it would have been nice to see him play). However, I was searching up his stats just a few minutes ago and just from a statline point of view he looks very impressive. He is actually leading his team in points.

He is just about a point per game as a defenceman in the Swedish league, so I have a couple of questions from that:

Is Tommernes still Canucks property or is he a free agent?

Do defencemen who preform well in the Swedish league ever manage to transition to the NHL? I can think of a few forwards who did so, but no defence come to mind? 

Basically, is Tommernes recent success in the Swedish league a sign that he might be able to have a career in the NHL?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=118546

4 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I'm under the impression that his contract was mutually terminated a while back.

Okay, but do you think being close to a ppg and leading his team in points warrants another shot in the NHL? Maybe not necessariyl with the canucks? I'm just not really sure how defencemen success in Euro leagues carry over to the NHL

1 minute ago, OptionalPants said:

Okay, but do you think being close to a ppg and leading his team in points warrants another shot in the NHL? Maybe not necessariyl with the canucks? I'm just not really sure how defencement success in Euro leagues carry over to the NHL

I haven't watched him since he left, so I can't say for sure.

His numbers are impressive, but then so were Larsen's last year in Europe. I was excited about him when we drafted him though.

1 minute ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I haven't watched him since he left, so I can't say for sure.

His numbers are impressive, but then so were Larsen's last year. I was excited about him when we drafted him though.

Oh yeah I forgot about Larsen. Though just from looking at his stats it seems to indicate that he is carrying his team from an offensive standpoint and I don't think Larsen was ever quite that prominent in the KHL

• 4 weeks later...

If he's watching what's going on with Rodin, I doubt he'd want to come back here anyways. Plus we may have a logjam on Defense next year regardless

Assuming no one is moved

Tanev/Edler

Hutton/Gud

Sbisa/Try/Stech

Juolevi (maybe)

Pedan

Not much room there for an offensive player and really no need for us with the emergence of Stech (which was a terrific signing).

I always felt like we gave up on Tommernes too quickly. I suspect he'll be in the NHL next year. Chances are... he won't be playing here. He'll likely sign with a defense light team (like a Vegas Golden Knights [who'll be looking to shore up defensive depth as they enter the league or Chicago [who need cheap defensive depth] or Colorado [just cause this season has been HORRIBLE to them)... though, it would be nice if he became a Canuck again (just cause, I've always liked him as a player).

There's a good chance we'll lose Sbisa in the expansion draft. He'll be a trading chip for the Golden Knights as they look to build their roster. And there's a good chance Biega ends up back in the AHL after this season (since, I believe, that he's been with the big club MAINLY to make him expansion eligible to the utmost degree). So there likely would be a role for Tommernes if he returns but he'll likely sign with the NHL team that gives him the best shot of an NHL spot... similar to the Rodin situation but without the "we own your rights and you HAVE to sign here" thing hanging over the entire deal.

9 hours ago, Quantum said:

I always felt like we gave up on Tommernes too quickly. I suspect he'll be in the NHL next year. Chances are... he won't be playing here. He'll likely sign with a defense light team (like a Vegas Golden Knights [who'll be looking to shore up defensive depth as they enter the league or Chicago [who need cheap defensive depth] or Colorado [just cause this season has been HORRIBLE to them)... though, it would be nice if he became a Canuck again (just cause, I've always liked him as a player).

There's a good chance we'll lose Sbisa in the expansion draft. He'll be a trading chip for the Golden Knights as they look to build their roster. And there's a good chance Biega ends up back in the AHL after this season (since, I believe, that he's been with the big club MAINLY to make him expansion eligible to the utmost degree). So there likely would be a role for Tommernes if he returns but he'll likely sign with the NHL team that gives him the best shot of an NHL spot... similar to the Rodin situation but without the "we own your rights and you HAVE to sign here" thing hanging over the entire deal.

Canucks have plenty of depth, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep on him.  He'd be behind Stecher, Larsen, and Subban.  Not sure if Biega will be in the AHL next year.  I totally agree that he's playing right now to give the Canucks exposure flexibility, but I think, if the Canucks decide to go with 8 D on the roster next year, Biega is a good guy to have as #8 due to the limited minutes and not having to worry about stunting the development of a younger prospect.

Archived