The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Blue Jackets @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

40 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

They are getting plenty of opportunity, go check the TOIs and stop perpetuating this myth as if the rest of us were stupid.

The only rookie who has failed in Vancouver was Jake and it was all down to him, all the others have done well and are getting plenty of opportunity, laying their ass on the line every night for the team and the coach.

They've been getting opportunity due to injuries.. when we've been healthy, it doesn't happen.

WD's hand has been forced due to injuries.

Stetcher, Granlund, Tryamkin, Hutton, Biegga, Megan, Chaput, LaBate all brought their game from day one, and have played well without influence from WD.

WD has done a terrible job with Mcann, Virtanen, Bonino, Vey, Pedan and Baertschi (until he did a stint with TG last season).

I find it interesting that Jake is raving about the input and mentoring he gets from TG, and has had nothing to say about WD.

There is no myth, only rose coloured glasses worn for poor WD.. EVEN with the repetitious pp he flogs.

Used to see WD yelling, screaming, and scaring the beJeezus out of his Junior Teams..  he was good at a level where he commanded respect in a league which borders on child labour law infringements. . . But his "winning" style won't be excepted at this level, ever.

He is lost at this level.. and it shows in his stature behind the bench.

If you can't see that,. then you yourself are perpetuating a myth.

5 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

After watching how great Columbus is from where they were, and the reason why, it's obvious we need to keep improving our D thru the draft or shrewd trades.

-Torts called out Johansen....their #1 center and got his GM to trade his @$$ out of town for a young #1 D in Seth Jones. A+ move....how IS "Smashville" doing?

-Trading a washed up Weisniewski and a 2nd for Rene Bourque, a 3rd AND William Karlsson.....was genious...A+ move.

-Trading for Brendan Saad.......

-Hiring an @$$ kicker coach like Torts 

Over the past few years I've heard alot of ppl and media heap alot of crap onto the Columbus  GM for piling up loses but hey..... Name another GM that's built a sexier team than the Blue Jackets in the past few years since

Davidson/Keikolainen.....Both who are Rookie Prez/GM?

Heck the Finnish GM even had the stones to go against the grain and not selected the popular Finn player. 

How many fighters/goons are on that team? Who is patrolling their 4th line?

I get a kick out of the latest media crap that points out that we had Torts, Sully and Gully and we let them go and look at their success. Well look at the difference those guys have in the teams we have. 

It's easy to say that Columbus did a great job rebuilding, and you gotta give them credit for where they are at today. But it wasn't easy, as they've only made the playoffs twice in their 16 years of existence. They've also had thirteen top 10 picks in 16 drafts, where as the Canucks have only had five in the same time frame. Is it really that enviable to be so bad for that long? 

9 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Edler trade? Huh?

Sorry, I didn't mean you. And no, I haven't heard anything.  Many on here are calling for Edler to be moved.  Or Tanev.  The reality as we can see (and I'm speaking to CDC at large) is that there is nobody at this time, besides Edler or Tanev, who is ready to play top pairing full time.  For this reason, Benning ain't doing it.

This is not to say that Hutton or Stecher or Juolevi (new Captain of the Finnish World Junior team.....) won't get there one day.

11 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Happy to have you shot the statistics on WD's coaching history.  By "minors" I was trying to make the point of anywhere but the NHL.  Point is, he is any problem coach at this level and has shown nothing in his approach that would indicate he will stay beyond his stint with the Nucks.

As for extending the twins...if jb is thinking of extending Miller, there is more than a good chance he extends the twins.  While they could be decent third line support players, I fear extending hem would only delay the transition to a young core this team so desperately needs.

I agree but worse still is how they give the team a split personality in their playing style (one of the reasons I support keeping WD) We have 3 lines trying to play a fast transition game combined with an aggressive checking game and then we totally lose any momentum we create when the Sedins are on the ice (unless Hansen is doing it on his own)

If you know WD's history in coaching you will know he is known for coaching a fast, aggressive style. Part of the reason I suspect he was brought here but how can he transform this team if we have the Sedins doing their own thing. That is why I don't want them renewed.

When it comes off it looks great but it is coming off less and less these days AND they are making frequent blunders, the kind that would get them a seat in the press box if they were anyone else.

12 hours ago, nux_win said:

So are you saying that CDC could do a better job?

Just saying...a management position with a NHL club doesn't necessarily mean they know what they are doing.

Having blind faith in management is a path to disappointment.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I agree but worse still is how they give the team a split personality in their playing style (one of the reasons I support keeping WD) We have 3 lines trying to play a fast transition game combined with an aggressive checking game and then we totally lose any momentum we create when the Sedins are on the ice (unless Hansen is doing it on his own)

If you know WD's history in coaching you will know he is known for coaching a fast, aggressive style. Part of the reason I suspect he was brought here but how can he transform this team if we have the Sedins doing their own thing. That is why I don't want them renewed.

When it comes off it looks great but it is coming off less and less these days AND they are making frequent blunders, the kind that would get them a seat in the press box if they were anyone else.

Agreed.

28 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Just saying...a management position with a NHL club doesn't necessarily mean they know what they are doing.

Having blind faith in management is a path to disappointment.

I'm sure the Oilers fans had great faith in Kevin Lowe and look how that worked for them.

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Only real disappointment I have was that Hansen didn't get to score a winner as a middle finger'd salute to Torts...

Didn't he do that last year? A goal and three assists I think it was.

Archived