The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 - 1st Overall Draft Pick

Me_

From what I've learned of this year's draft class - #1oa Nolan Patrick, wouldn't crack the top ten if compared to last year's class. And then, there's a supposed large drop off in talent after Patrick. 

Sounds pretty sucky, too bad we didn't have more firsts and/or seconds last season. This year's draft sounds like the sales on Dec.27 - "we've got one awesome special held over from yesterday, but the rest of this junk is pretty much free. You might find some gems hiding in the returns bin"

So where do we draft if we finish 30th? 4th. The 4th OA will have 3rd line depth or bottom pairing potential.... Oh joy!

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

From what I've learned of this year's draft class - #1oa Nolan Patrick, wouldn't crack the top ten if compared to last year's class. And then, there's a supposed large drop off in talent after Patrick. 

Sounds pretty sucky, too bad we didn't have more firsts and/or seconds last season. This year's draft sounds like the sales on Dec.27 - "we've got one awesome special held over from yesterday, but the rest of this junk is pretty much free. You might find some gems hiding in the returns bin"

So where do we draft if we finish 30th? 4th. The 4th OA will have 3rd line depth or bottom pairing potential.... Oh joy!

Anything after McDavid looks like a garage sale. Unfortunately, the Canucks will have to have a great team to surpass Edmonton. 

I'm looking forward to that.

15 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Anything after McDavid looks like a garage sale. Unfortunately, the Canucks will have to have a great team to surpass Edmonton. 

Me_ too.

Hopefully we're not in the early stages of an Edmonton or Toronto-esque "sucking for a decade" rebuild. However, we have some promising young Dmen and hopefully a goalie, which both of those organizations are still sorting out.

Getting lucky (ie- not getting screwed) in the draft for the next couple of years would do wonders for our very weak prospect pool of skilled forwards. 

We can say we have 1 right now, because Virtanen is in Utica. JB might disagree, but we have nothing for skill forwards and I would love to be wrong about that.

8 hours ago, luckylager said:

Yes but we forget JB seems to have an eye for uncovering gems.

I trust his judgement and I don't believe there is a scarcity of talent, it may be that it is just slow to develop.

The top 10's of the past have been full of players who were highly regarded by the xxxxxx and ultimately failed to deliver.

6 hours ago, Me_ said:

Tampa, a team we rocked recently, had little bother with the Oilers the other night but unfortunately lost in a shoot out. McDavid was kept pretty quiet by Hedman and Co.

Great D (and great net minder) cancels out great O most times.

On 20/12/2016 at 5:38 AM, LaBamba said:

There isn't a huge gap between 1-10 so I don't really care about this thread. 

Agreed.  1-10 all about the same depending on what your team is needing. With that being said.... Hischier would be a nice addition haha 

On 12/20/2016 at 11:28 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sussed you dude, gotta' be Sam-I-am

Eternal hard-sell, of 'dem green eggs & ham

Well I won't, on a boat

& I can't with a goat!

Call the mods, cos' I'm sure it's just spam! :^)

Not with a goat?  

I been bad?

I been good...

Been to Dallas Texas!

Hollywood...

I'm not askin for much.

Lord take me downtown...

Colorado are bombing hard for the 1st overall pick, will probably trade away Duchene or their captain at the deadline to make them even worse and bank another first round pick.

I think Arizona might get a bit better but with Edler and Tanev back the Canucks are going to push hard to get out of a top-5 draft pick unfortunately and not make the playoffs anyway.

At the end of the day, we have to try and draft in the top-4. Patrick is overated IMO but Liljegren may be a future Karlsson, Vilardi looks decent but my pick for this Canucks team would be Hirschier. Talented playmaker with good defence and may have Swiss chemistry with Baertschi to boot. He's the exact center we need and we can turn him into a star. As a 17 year old he's already leading the QMJHL in points per game amongst 20 year olds, or close to anyway.

Hopefully Patrick goes 1st with all the hype, Liljegren will most likely go 2nd (or the two could swap), and fingers crossed Los Vegas don't take Hirschier. After those 3 it's anyone's guess, hopefully Vilardi's size makes him a more tempting pick to other teams but we already have our solid physical two way center, now we need skill and offence and that comes from Hirschier.

• 1 month later...

Archived