The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Canucks want Tommernes back after terminating contract last year

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Benning may want to give this kid a shot again. He might be the next Forsling that got away and heating up in the SEL.

@grantmccagg: Vancouver may want to try to get dman Tommernes back over next season if they still own his rights.  Tearing up the Swedish league.

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

He is turning 27 this summer, ufa.

KID for sure.

I watched the 2+2 game he had recently. All of his points came on the PP, and despite having a 4 point night he didn't really impress. Being spoon-fed minutes on the top PP unit of the best team in the SHL seems to have contributed to his success. I doubt NHL teams are lining up to sign him.

9 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Benning may want to give this kid a shot again. He might be the next Forsling that got away and heating up in the SEL.

@grantmccagg: Vancouver may want to try to get dman Tommernes back over next season if they still own his rights.  Tearing up the Swedish league.

I'm sure it's been said, but the Canucks haven't indicated anything about wanting him back. This is just a guy noting how well Tommernes is playing and thinking there's a parallel to Rodin's recent return. I've seen a couple tweets on him today, but nothing from anyone important on any kind of actual interest either from his end or an NHL team's end to bring him back.

8 hours ago, combover said:

Great job assessing  players  in the system. Just top notch. 

He wasn't ready when he was here, and didn't want to stick around to wait it out. He asked to go back while still in the middle of his contract.

This has nothing to do with our assessment of his abilities, although him being older and developing slower would have played a role in whether we kept him considering the 50 contract limit.

5 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

But people noticed his rise as a player in the KHL. Half the league was trying to sign him. A little different situation i would say.

How exactly is it a different situation?  People are noticing Tommernes rising. And he will start to get some interest from teams.

You said late blooming older players (as if 26 is old) won't become difference makers in the NHL.  I threw a name at you and proved it wrong now youre saying it doesn't count because the situations are different...

20 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

Just ask Subban how much Benning values defencemen that can score.

Yeah really,  what was JB doing talking to guys that can actually play in the NHL like Stecher and Train when he should be following Subban around:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

How exactly is it a different situation?  People are noticing Tommernes rising. And he will start to get some interest from teams.

You said late blooming older players (as if 26 is old) won't become difference makers in the NHL.  I threw a name at you and proved it wrong now youre saying it doesn't count because the situations are different...

Well Panarin was a great player under contract to the KHL and the other was struggling to make it in North America under a contract. You must not watch the World Juniors... Panarin was noticed a long time ago with the gold medal game he had.  Maybe Tommernes turns into such a player but i just don't see it. Panarin was rookie of the year, do you see Tommernes at that level?

On 2016-12-20 at 1:27 PM, chickenman92 said:

Waaaayyy too much skill to play on a Benning team. Just ask Subban how much Benning values defencemen that can score.

On 2016-12-20 at 1:30 PM, combover said:

Great job assessing  players  in the system. Just top notch. 

You guys make great points, considering that Tommernes is back in the NHL and rockin.  Oh, I mean you saw him play in Europe.  I mean, you heard someone say he was playing okay.....in Europe.  At 27.  Still, great comments.

13 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Hmmm.....let's see.....one was a bum in the ECHL at 26, and one was a star in the KHL at 23.

Panarin wasn't drafted because he's a small Russian.  The end.  Don't expect to see Tommernes any time soon.  But hey, we're all just groping in the dark right?

Archived