The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jagr 1 point away from passing Messier as 2nd alltime points scorer

I remember Jagr was 36 when he left the NHL to play in the KHL and when he made a comeback at 39 I thought it was pretty insane. Typically when players leave the NHL at 36 and play in a different league for three full seasons there is no chance in coming back.

I was impressed that he was still able to put up 54 points, but figured he must surely be done. We are now here FIVE YEARS LATER and he is sitting second on his team in points, coming off a 66 point season which tied him FOURTH AMONGST RIGHT WINGERS. 

Incredible. It seems like ages ago when the star players from my generation all retired, other than Jagr and of course Selanne who also stuck around forever: Naslund, Kariya, Lemieux, Yzerman, Nolan, Hull, Fedorov, Leetch, Modano, Roenick, Linden, Forsberg, Niedermayer, Lindros, Pronger etc. all long gone. 

The hyped prospects from when I joined the CDC message boards like Fedorov and Reid are now 35 years old! Heck even Sergei Shirokov is in his 30s now. Steve Kariya turned 39 yesterday. 

Bure and Linden were only 27 when we traded them away. Odjick 26. 

Through all of this, Jagr has continued to play in the NHL with no end in sight ::D I would love to see him make it to four different decades, he would be there if he started his career just one year earlier. 

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎22 at 9:41 AM, smokes said:

Just a random question: Does anyone think some players might take it easier on Jagr in terms of hits knowing he is so much older and his legend?

Absolutely they do.

There is zero ankle or hand slashes, just finishing your checks to try to get the puck, basically.

Ask a player.

Archived