The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Jets @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I wonder if there is any possibility of us being able to protect 4 d-men with Gudbranson falling into the criteria below....

Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

It's not a career ending injury and hopefully he is not going to be missing that many games.

They can protect 4Ds but it means protecting only 4Fs (instead of 7) and 3 spots are taken by the Sedins and Eriksson because of their NMCs.

5 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I dont know how much stock you can put in those AHL numbers, I mean linden vey is leading that team in scoring.  I will believe it when I see it at the NHL level!

Sure, but first-year pro numbers as a d-man are pretty respectable (better than goldenboy Subban, not to mention NHL-sized).  He was one of the main guys a number of us had targeted to draft in the second round that year.  Vey is an AHL veteran, and a forward.

56 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"We played 40 good minutes and that was enough to get the win, but it wasn't good enough for us. We took a lot of bad penalties." - Hansen

I like that attitude, even in a 4-1 win. 60 minutes boys. 60 minutes

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Sure, but first-year pro numbers as a d-man are pretty respectable (better than goldenboy Subban, not to mention NHL-sized).  He was one of the main guys a number of us had targeted to draft in the second round that year.  Vey is an AHL veteran, and a forward.

I'd still take a guy on pace to put up anywhere between 40 - 50 points in the NHL this year and take my chances that the other guy won't turn out to make an equivalent impact albeit in a defensive role. He would probably have to turn out to be a number 4 d man to make the trade a saw off if Baer can keep up what he did latter part of last year and first part of this year.  Second rounders usually don't translate into good NHLers. 

Just now, Darius71 said:

I'd still take a guy on pace to put up anywhere between 40 - 50 points in the NHL this year and take my chances that the other guy won't turn out to make an equivalent impact albeit in a defensive role. He would probably have to turn out to be a number 4 d man to make the trade a saw off if Baer can keep up what he did latter part of last year and first part of this year.  Second rounders usually don't translate into good NHLers. 

Before the season I predicted a baseline of 40-45 points for Baertschi, which is second-line production.  For a second round pick?  Absolutely.

36 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

But it provides opportunity to do other things, whether moving him or another protected D-man and protecting him instead.

IMHO I think most here need to relax a bit with the expansion draft.  We are going to lose 1 player, just like every other team.  The important thing is really the quality of that player.  My hope is that JB is mitigating the loss by exposing the positional player that works best for us to be the more attractive player to Las Vegas. 

Right now our fwd exposure appears to be Baer or Granlund quality.  Our D appears to be Sbisa quality.   The smart thing to do (in our position of NOT being in the playoffs) would be to maximize our assets by a) realizing that dmen are simply more valuable b) letting Biega get enough games in to qualify for expansion c) trade a D man by the TDL.This would seem counter productive because we'd be more likely to then lose an exposed fwd (Baer/Granny).  But fwds of that caliber are simpley more accessible/extendible. 

We are in a position this year to take advantage of where other teams stand with regards to the expansion draft.  In the grand scheme of things we are simply NOT going to lose a valuable player relative to who other teams lose.  JB has a great opportunity now to take advantage of that.

With Gaunce scratched for a 2nd consecutive game, does that mean he gets sent down or will Willie put him back on the 4th line so JB can send Chaput back down to Utica so they got some depth..could really use his offence as they've been struggling a bit. Put Gaunce back in a position where he can work his way up the lineup similar to what Megna and Burr have done this year

I think my favourite moment was watching Byfuggle suck wind trying to catch Baer :lol:

Thursday's going to be pretty interesting. Miller is going to be pumped to get his win, and WPG didn't get too many chances to crush our guys. 

Archived