The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Jets @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

who said anything about picks in this years draft, you do realize either of them could be traded for other assets and not just picks in this years draft, right?

Yes yes, I know that. I just think if we don't pull off a steal in the deal for those two players I think they stay. I wasn't a big fan of Hanson until the broken rib fight, that just means too much to a team . Same for Tanev until he returned. After the Hall for Larson trade, I just think Tanev has very high value. Much more than than the Tanev for Drouin talk that was on CDC boards. My thinking would have been Tanev for Drouin and their 1st because our asset is proven verses two unproven assets, not to mention I think Tampa is a better team than their record indicates and should improve in the standings as their injury situation improves and their first pick would be late.

8 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

IMHO I think most here need to relax a bit with the expansion draft.  We are going to lose 1 player, just like every other team.  The important thing is really the quality of that player.  My hope is that JB is mitigating the loss by exposing the positional player that works best for us to be the more attractive player to Las Vegas. 

Right now our fwd exposure appears to be Baer or Granlund quality.  Our D appears to be Sbisa quality.   The smart thing to do (in our position of NOT be in the playoffs) would be to maximize our assets by a) realizing that dmen are simply more valuable B) letting Biega get enough games in to qualify for expansion c) trade a D man by the TDL.This would seem counter productive because we'd be more likely to then lost an exposed fwd (Baer/Granny).  But fwds of that caliber are simpley more accessible/extendible. 

We are in a position this year to take advantage of where other teams stand with regards to the expansion draft.  In the grand scheme of things we are simply NOT going to lose a valuable player relative to who other teams lose.  JB has a great opportunity now to take advantage of that.

well said +1

1 minute ago, Oldmanpower said:

Yes yes, I know that. I just think if we don't pull off a steal in the deal for those two players I think they stay. I wasn't a big fan of Hanson until the broken rib fight, that just means too much to a team . Same for Tanev until he returned. After the Hall for Larson trade, I just think Tanev has very high value. Much more than than the Tanev for Drouin talk that was on CDC boards. My thinking would have been Tanev for Drouin and their 1st because our asset is proven verses two unproven assets, not to mention I think Tampa is a better team than their record indicates and should improve in the standings as their injury situation improves and their first pick would be late.

Well, if they lost Bishop tonight for a long term injury TB is going to need to do something, unless Stamkos isn't coming back but it sounds like they expect him back in March.

Tanev would certainly go a long way to keeping Tampa in a playoff spot. Not that I want him gone, if he wasn't playing tonight it may have been a Laine goal show. My worry about Tanev though is his longevity, he takes so many hard hits I wonder if its better to trade him earlier than later particularly if TB would actually be willing to cough up something like Drouin and their 1st. Thats a heck of a lot to get in return. 

7 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Give him the C.  Tells it like it is and never lets up. 

Seems like he's always being interviewed in between periods too... The team must chose him or he just talks because he's so comfortable and composed? 

Hansen is all class! 

its fine to hold onto Tanev for now he is 27 and still in his prime there is still time to get high return for him. Hansen is 30 and the time to sell high is now, again I like Hansen and if this team were contending keeping him is a no brainer. But at his stage the right move is to trade Hansen, go ahead find someone who disagrees with me, besides you the Hansen band wagon fan. Good luck. Don't try to change the subject to make this an argument about trading Tanev either that was never mentioned and its a sad attempt on your part to deflect criticism.

Spoiler

I wouldn't normally add this but I think it will be needed. I'm going to bed now because I have to be up early for work in the morning. Don't mistake my lack of response for the rest of the night as you having won this little exchange. I'll gladly rebut tomorrow. I guess you have some time to figure out a good argument.

18 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

IMHO I think most here need to relax a bit with the expansion draft.  We are going to lose 1 player, just like every other team.  The important thing is really the quality of that player.  My hope is that JB is mitigating the loss by exposing the positional player that works best for us to be the more attractive player to Las Vegas. 

Right now our fwd exposure appears to be Baer or Granlund quality.  Our D appears to be Sbisa quality.   The smart thing to do (in our position of NOT being in the playoffs) would be to maximize our assets by a) realizing that dmen are simply more valuable b) letting Biega get enough games in to qualify for expansion c) trade a D man by the TDL.This would seem counter productive because we'd be more likely to then lose an exposed fwd (Baer/Granny).  But fwds of that caliber are simpley more accessible/extendible. 

We are in a position this year to take advantage of where other teams stand with regards to the expansion draft.  In the grand scheme of things we are simply NOT going to lose a valuable player relative to who other teams lose.  JB has a great opportunity now to take advantage of that.

Not sure about this. Which team? They need the cap space, and think Sbisa fills a need, plus there would probably have to be salary back our way. 

27 minutes ago, Oldmanpower said:

I'll have what he's having!

39 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Well, if they lost Bishop tonight for a long term injury TB is going to need to do something, unless Stamkos isn't coming back but it sounds like they expect him back in March.

Tanev would certainly go a long way to keeping Tampa in a playoff spot. Not that I want him gone, if he wasn't playing tonight it may have been a Laine goal show. My worry about Tanev though is his longevity, he takes so many hard hits I wonder if its better to trade him earlier than later particularly if TB would actually be willing to cough up something like Drouin and their 1st. Thats a heck of a lot to get in return. 

What are the differences in Tanev and Larson? Size, some years. Look at advanced stats. Hall is a 1st overall with proven NHL 1st line scoring ability. Drouin?unproven potential.No Deal. Drouin and a 1st deal. Tanev is a proven stats backed NHL right handed D-man. I'll continue to have what I'm havin thanks

It's funny - not long ago most people assumed that Sbisa was expansion bait at best and unlikely to be taken regardless.

Now even if he were, he'd be the player that enables this team to retain both Baertschi and Granlund (their whole forward group).

Regardless of how you look at it, his emergence is essentially preventing this team from taking a loss in the expansion draft - however it turns out, his considerable uptick is going to add a notch of depth to the franchise.

1 hour ago, Jayinblack said:

Right now our fwd exposure appears to be Baer or Granlund quality.  Our D appears to be Sbisa quality.   The smart thing to do (in our position of NOT being in the playoffs) would be to maximize our assets by a) realizing that dmen are simply more valuable b) letting Biega get enough games in to qualify for expansion c) trade a D man by the TDL.This would seem counter productive because we'd be more likely to then lose an exposed fwd (Baer/Granny).  But fwds of that caliber are simpley more accessible/extendible. 

I couldn't agree with you more there.   With the way Sbisa is playing, I would rather not to lose him if he is keeping this up for rest of the season.  Unless Sbisa regressed at the end of this season, I don't see why we couldn't even protect him.  Here is my solution:  We can still protect 7 D and 3 forward and tangle them to take one of our "B" type prospect that is exempted on the protected list in exchange for untouchable 4th D or trade Edler at the deadline so we could protect Sbisa.   Honestly, with the way Edler was playing before the injury, I hated the way he played on PP and our PP has looked better without Edler but is not wholly better due to Sedin's factor but I like the deployment on Baertschi and the way he is playing with Horvat has leaning to have him protected over Grandlund.   Honestly, I do not think Vegas would take Grundlund and there are other teams that is a better potential exposed forward players than Grandlund so they are more likely to look for one of our prospect with more than 3 yeas of pro hockey from AHL who is closer to be NHL ready or a defence taken if Sbisa is available.  

So in other word, if there are no trade for Edler, I'd expose Edler for two reasons, he is older than most of the defense core and is likely to regress in one or two years from now due to being prone to injury in last few years.   Though Edler has some trades value but If he refused to waive his NTC, then cut him loose through expansion draft even if he refused to waive his NTC on his last year of his contract then it's pointless to keep him if other defence is going to be better than Edler in 1-2 years from now and focus on our D prospects more.   I do not want Vegas to take Subban over Edler so expose Edler to dare Vegas to take him over our potential better defense than Edler, for a long-term health to our defense.   It'll be a win-win situation if Vegas doesn't take him and it'll be like we kept all 4 defense.   So it won't be a big loss in asset if Edler refuse to waive his NTC til his contract expires and keep our better asset than Edler in the future to further improve our team's prospect pool.  

2 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

So it's Gudbranson against Sbisa. That's a tough one. Sbisa is cheaper...

Would really make that Gudbranson trade look terrible if that were the case. Not sure what McCann is doing in FLA but that would be a waste. I like what I saw out of healthy Gudbranson so got to think he's gonna come back stronger.

Archived