The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Jets @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

28 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Would really make that Gudbranson trade look terrible

Would really make the Kesler trade look great.

I don't think this team will be exposing Gudbranson.   He's just the whipping flavour of the week among the usual  suspects.

I really can't understand how much the opinion sways around here. Sbisa has looked better than ever this season and that is great. To start talking about protecting him over Edler or wanting to lose Granlund or Baertschi instead of him is crazy.

Sbisa performing well is really positive for the Canucks in terms of the expansion draft. The Canucks have depth at defense and have a lack of quality forwards both in the short-term and the long-term. Both Granlund and Baertschi have been great at different times this season but are both much more valuable to the Canucks future than Sbisa is. Sbisas contract is perfect for Vegas because they will have to find ways to reach the cap floor and Sbisa is slightly overpaid. Sbisa has always had a disproportionate level of criticism towards him and there are still some that says he sucks, even though he's been one of the best players on the ice in some games this season. I couldn't be happier to see him do well because I've felt he's always just been disproportionately hated. 

Don't go full wacko and suggest the Canucks should protect Sbisa though. He is our sacrifice to Vegas to keep them away from getting one of our younger forwards. His "break out" couldn't have come at a better time. Sbisas contract isn't exactly the worst thing in the world but it's quite a lot for a guy who has been on the bottom pairing and when considering the depth the Canucks have at his position. 

The time to trade Hansen is this trade deadline so the Canucks can fully capitalize on his value. It would also help out with the strategy for the expansion draft. 

Protected 7F, 3D, 1G:

Henrik Sedin

Daniel Sedin

Loui Eriksson

Brendan Sutter

Bo Horvat

Sven Baertschi

Markus Granlund

Chris Tanev

Alex Edler

Erik Gudbranson

Jacob Markström

Exempt:

Jake Virtanen 

Ben Hutton 

Troy Stecher 

Nikita Tryamkin 

Risk of losing: Luca Sbisa, Derek Dorsett, Brendan Gaunce, Anton Rodin, Andrey Pedan, Alex Biega (?), Richard Bachman, Michael Chaput

Out of that group the Canucks are most likely losing Luca Sbisa or Brendan Gaunce. Two players that I firmly believe are less important for the team moving forward than Baer or Granlund. Dorsetts injury would keep Vegas away, I would presume. If Hansen isn't traded, the Canucks risk losing Granlund. I still believe Sbisa is the more attractive pick if Granlund is exposed, but I'd rather not risk losing him. 

3 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

The Canucks' most attractive exposed players will probably be Sbisa and Granlund (I think Hansen and Baertschi are kept).

Sbisa is outplaying Edler so far, has a better contract and is 5-6 years younger. If this trend continues to the TDL, Edler could be on the block and waive his NTC vs being exposed for the expansion draft. Biega will get his games in that will have the Canucks offer up one defender with a min amount of NHL experience. 

Sbisa is making a case to be protected, good on him.  It will make things interesting this year at the TDL.  

3 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

So it's Gudbranson against Sbisa. That's a tough one. Sbisa is cheaper...

Sbisa vs Edler vs Tanev vs Guddy

In all reality no top 4 guy should be exposed in Vancouver this year, one should be moved. 

Tanev would get the highest return, Edler would also fetch a nice package, Guddy with his injury is not well positioned for a trade we would get a lower return. Sbisa is in the same category due to his erratic past play. More games need to be played to see if Sbisa can maintain this quality.  

Provided that Sbisa maintains his current play, if I was the GM, I would move Edler. Gotta think a top contender would want Edler to load up for a run at the hardware this year. If he was on the block, it could be a bidding war.  

He will waive his NTC if he was being exposed to Vegas. Don't see Edler as a guy liking the desert. 

EW

Save an amazing deal, the Canucks won't be giving up Tanev... can we please just put this to bed already? It's. Not. Going. To. Happen. At least not in the near future.
He's an established top pairing D for us, bar an amazing return, there's literally no incentive for the Canucks to give him up for maybes.

Great to see Hansen back and producing, he's in his prime and definitely one of our better producers and will help the young guns for sure.

7 hours ago, mll said:

20 games since Burrows joined the Baer-Horvat line.

16pts for Horvat

14pts for Burrows

and 15pts in 17 games for Baertschi.  

Great spot.

Burr is definitely the glue to make that line tick. His work rate and instinctive plays are off the scale this season.

7 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Yes but we were missing players who are now back. We don't yet have a deep enough pool to continue winning when we are injured.

I don't care who we have out there when it is 5-2 with 20 left to play against Carolina.  You have to get a point at least and take a shot at winning the crap shoot that is OT and SO  

For 2 periods the Canucks played the type of game that will make them successful going forward. Competing amd checking teams hard and maintaining the overall mindset of playing tight defensively and just making smart & positive plays in our  zone and in transition up the ice. 

As long as everyone is on the same page and pushing the envelope ,pressuring defensively and crashing the net and shooting offensively, as well as taking time and space away from the other team then we have a good chance to win on more nights.

Can we maintain that style of play moving forward? Remains to be seen. 

Archived