The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I want to learn CODING

JV77

Hi,

I think we all have heard of the tech sector is booming and how coding is becoming huge and the demand in Vancouver is growing.  But I need some help on where to start/and what exact courses and programs I can take.

I know nothing about it, how it works or anything.  But I would like to have a potential career in it.  Anyone have information guide me?

I have looked at the BCIT Applied Software Development Certificate.

Well, if you really think you're ready for coding and everything that's behind it, jump into this: 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rovoBm6lCiZ4fCEOMMJ-UHLxP0Fp_YxJ47vKpIkLosE/edit#gid=1015216084 
It's the closest to learning everything you learn in a bachelors.

If you want to start slow, start learning Python. I won't tell you what to do here to learn Python since google skills are essential in programming, but if you want a hint: "Learn Python" or "Python Tutorials" would be a good search.

If you're looking for the fastest way to a job, web development is your path. Learn HTML(yet again google skillz) then learn some CSS. HTML should be easy af, or else you're doing something wrong. CSS can be annoying at times, so try to bare that if you can. Then take off from there. You'll learn the other technologies and techniques you need after that.

2 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

Well, if you really think you're ready for coding and everything that's behind it, jump into this: 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rovoBm6lCiZ4fCEOMMJ-UHLxP0Fp_YxJ47vKpIkLosE/edit#gid=1015216084 
It's the closest to learning everything you learn in a bachelors.

If you want to start slow, start learning Python. I won't tell you what to do here to learn Python since google skills are essential in programming, but if you want a hint: "Learn Python" or "Python Tutorials" would be a good search.

If you're looking for the fastest way to a job, web development is your path. Learn HTML(yet again google skillz) then learn some CSS. HTML should be easy af, or else you're doing something wrong. CSS can be annoying at times, so try to bare that if you can. Then take off from there. You'll learn the other technologies and techniques you need after that.

So I guess it would be web development.  I would prefer to take courses at BCIT, but would that program I mentioned be the right start?  On their site they said it is for newcommers.

52 minutes ago, JV77 said:

So I guess it would be web development.  I would prefer to take courses at BCIT, but would that program I mentioned be the right start?  On their site they said it is for newcommers.

Go for it.

If you have confidence in your self-learning abilities I'd say it is not necessary, but if you want a more hands-on experience, great to start off at BCIT.

15 minutes ago, HowYaDrouin said:

I have been curious about code for a while as well. It seems this internet thing has really taken off and jobs will always be in demand.

On the other hand tho, there's been a huge increase in interest. But yeah, there should be a decent job market for a while.

43 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

Go for it.

If you have confidence in your self-learning abilities I'd say it is not necessary, but if you want a more hands-on experience, great to start off at BCIT.

On the other hand tho, there's been a huge increase in interest. But yeah, there should be a decent job market for a while.

Are you a coder or into the computer field?

5 hours ago, HowYaDrouin said:

I have been curious about code for a while as well. It seems this internet thing has really taken off and jobs will always be in demand.

Unless it gets outsourced which seems pretty easy in the tech sector.

Just now, Twilight Sparkle said:

there are plenty of security jobs open, that require you to walk around, with your arms behind your back, for 10 hours a day. no job is too small!

Robots,artificial intelligence,drones  will take care of that.

OP, if you're interested into web development, there's a couple of things to be wary about. First, there are a TON of web developers/java developers out there so you're in for some tough competition for sure and the jobs (especially entry level jobs) don't pay all that much. I suggest you become a full stack developer, meaning you study development from the front-end perspective (user interface  etc.), middleware and backend perspective (coding database commands etc.). Let's put it this way, most people find web development more fun/easy to do, but I would not go that route because like I said, they're a dime a dozen. Sorry if I offend any web developers out there.

If you are keen on that however, I suggest you try a couple of tutorials on code academy, it's free and they start you from scratch so you don't need any prior knowledge. Start with the HTML, css and javascript classes they have on there. They also have a text editor ready on the user interface and a browser compiler so you don't need to deal with all that crap right away.

If you want to make a good living off it, try getting into cloud technology, or pretty much any other field of computer science. It's easier to move up.

Also, LEARN SQL (Database data definition and manipulation language), regardless of what you choose to do. Code academy also has a good SQL class you can take that teaches you the basics.

9 hours ago, JV77 said:

Are you a coder or into the computer field?

Both?

The positions are a little more defined than that.

In Web Development you would have:

-Frontend developer(deals with how websites look)

-Backend developer (deals with how websites act and maintains a lot of stuff the user doesn't see)

-FullStack (both)

In programming you would have:

-QA Analyst

-Software developer 

-Software engineer

-Programmer

All the above programming jobs require the same strong foundation including math || analytical background. The last three terms are often synonymous with each other. Call yourself whatever you want. I prefer software developer. 

Web Development is for sure much easier. But like meh said, it's not something rare nowadays. But if you want the fastest path to a decent(maybe 40k) career, this would be it.

If you're willing to devote hours into the study of how you make desktop apps, mobile apps, databases etc...and all thats behind it, then your best bet is to go into programming. Sky is the limit for wages here.

Irregardless, if you have loads of free time after you learn some basics, I'd make some projects asap. It increases your portfolio for hiring managers to see and you might make a buck or two on the side as well.

13 hours ago, JV77 said:

Hi,

I think we all have heard of the tech sector is booming and how coding is becoming huge and the demand in Vancouver is growing.  But I need some help on where to start/and what exact courses and programs I can take.

I know nothing about it, how it works or anything.  But I would like to have a potential career in it.  Anyone have information guide me?

Here start by decoding this: "&$);$&@"!?575,...679(;:34'jugdd.:lol:

14 hours ago, JV77 said:

Hi,

Depends what you are looking for.  I wanted to make my own websites so I taught myself HTML, CSS and PHP using textbooks - it took me a couple months but I have a technical background (mechanical engineer) and took a coding course in university which helped me pick it up quickly.  You can make your own websites from scratch and really get the most out of Wordpress with this knowledge.

If you are looking to get a job, you need some sort of post secondary education.  BCIT is a good school to consider, but there's lots out there.   Generally programming monkeys don't make a lot of money since there are so many out there.  Probably $15 or $20 an hour.  If you want a solid career I would suggest the following:

1. Take some courses, get into the industry and make connections.  Figure out what you want to do and obtain the knowledge to do it - it could be a mix of course work, mentors, self teaching, etc.  Work for yourself - develop your own website, software, apps, etc.

2. If you are more inclined to the 9-5 job style and working for a Company I would get a four year degree in something specialized or focused. 1 or 2 year certificates and diplomas won't get you a high earning job.  You need to get a legit specialized degree IMO.

Archived