The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I want to learn CODING

JV77

Make sure it's the "right" school if you go to one. Employers here are hesitant of certain job candidates just because of their educational background. 

AWS is a big thing too. Look into that eventually. And if you decide to go this route, keep in mind for down the road: know how to work through and trouble shoot coding problems, and thinking in groups, like a programming team. The programmer interviews at the company I'm at I hear all the time that they get many strong coders but when it comes to throwing them curve balls, flaws in code and such, or trying to find a work around, candidates often stumble and don't make the grade. 

On 2016-12-21 at 3:56 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Make sure it's the "right" school if you go to one. Employers here are hesitant of certain job candidates just because of their educational background. 

AWS is a big thing too. Look into that eventually. And if you decide to go this route, keep in mind for down the road: know how to work through and trouble shoot coding problems, and thinking in groups, like a programming team. The programmer interviews at the company I'm at I hear all the time that they get many strong coders but when it comes to throwing them curve balls, flaws in code and such, or trying to find a work around, candidates often stumble and don't make the grade

I hear that too. I often wonder how many of them are from code bootcamps as opposed to CS degree universities. Saw this recent article http://www.infoworld.com/article/3150804/it-careers/coding-boot-camp-grads-write-better-code.html#tk.twt_ifw

Archived