The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] David Legwand announces retirement

The first player ever drafted by the Nashville Predators has called it a day.

David Legwand, who was selected second overall by the Predators in 1998, announced his retirement from professional hockey Thursday after 16 seasons.

Legwand appeared in a franchise-high 956 games with the Predators, and also holds team records in goals (210), assists (356), and total points (566).

In 2014, he was traded to the Detroit Red Wings, before signing a contract with the Ottawa Senators as a free agent that summer. Legwand was subsequently traded to the Buffalo Sabres - with whom he played his final NHL season in 2015-16 - after one year in Ottawa,

"What a great ride this was," Legwand said, "especially having the chance to play nearly 1,000 games for my drafting club in Nashville and seeing the growth of the game there; to fulfilling a dream of playing for my hometown Red Wings; to experiencing the positive vibe of playing in Canada’s capital of Ottawa; and to end with the talented players of the Buffalo Sabres in my final season."

Altogether, Legwand appeared in 1,136 NHL games, with 228 goals, 390 assists, and 618 points to his name.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1190465

Just now, on the cycle said:

Isn't he the first drafted and longest serving predator? Wonder if the preds will retire his jersey?

Yes, the first player ever drafted by the Predators. I think most would agree that he deserves to have his jersey retired, after his contributions to the Predators community.

I always wondered if he'd be the first Predator to have his number retired. He certainly played for them for a long time and had some strong seasons in Nashville. Not sure it's worth a retired jersey number though.

I've seen this guy play a lot, a pretty dedicated player.  I remember one time he made a breakaway but got tripped and was awarded a penalty shot and needed a pep talk from the coach on how to score against Dominik Hasek and he did.

Archived