The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts proving why he is a top coach?

JV77

4 hours ago, elvis15 said:

All Torts is doing is whipping the young talent on CBJ into shape. When he was here he overplayed the Sedins, ragged on Hansen (look at how he's doing under Desjardins) and generally lost his $*!% way more often than he needed to. There was a reason why he was on the outs in New York as well, when Vigneault took them right back into contention.

CBJ's bubble will burst a little bit here and they'll come back to Earth. They could still do well if their young players stay on form, but Torts does not deserve all the credit here.

Werenski having a Calder year as well and Wennberg at nearly a point a game. This is more about a team built to succeed by Davidson and Kekalainen.

Yeah but you can say that about any coach then.  So and so are having great years....

What really makes a good coach then?

Torts has to have the right environment and team to achieve success. He doesn't adapt his strategy to his team, he expects the team to adapt to it. Sometimes it works great, sometimes its like trying to hit a square peg into a round hole. It was painful watching the Rangers when he was their coach. They had arguably the best goalie in the league at the time, so his strategy was to have the team collapse in front of him to block as many shots as possible, then when they're exhausted, potentially injured, and have finished blocking their goaltenders view, use what little gas they have left to try and get the puck up ice into the attacking zone. 

i'm not a big supporter of torts as a coach

he has too much keenan in him

to much ego .. too little class (the calgary incident, benching luongo at the outdoor game)

never understood why he was hired

a bad fit that should have been recognized from the outset

and to then fire him after 1 year when he signed a long term contract

just shows the disarray the organization was in at that time

one thing i do like about linden is that i believe he will not tolerate that level of disarray under his watch

7 hours ago, JV77 said:

Yeah but you can say that about any coach then.  So and so are having great years....

What really makes a good coach then?

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve some credit for getting the kids in line, but if they weren't scoring as well as they are this thread wouldn't be here. We saw pretty clearly how he too heavily relied on his top vets here (and had been doing so in New York) and the other mistakes he made so I wouldn't rush to give him all the credit in Columbus and call him a top coach. Clearly it's a good fit, but how much of that is Torts, how much is the young players and how much is just right place at the right time?

I think Columbus, if anything, proves that a coach doesn't dictate how well his team does. If this was the case, they would have played well before this season, Vancouver would have played well the year Torts was here, etc.

Yet, everyone focuses on the coach because they need someone to praise/blame. Go figure....

Torts won't be able to do much with our team. His style doesn't fit well with our roster.

Besides, CBJ has players that are young and well conditioned; the type of players that can play grinding and tenacious game that Torts adopts. And, they have high profile, very talented defence core:

Ryan Murray: 2nd overall

Jack Johnson: 3rd overall

Seth Jones: 4th overall

Werenski: 8th overall

17 hours ago, The Lock said:

I think Columbus, if anything, proves that a coach doesn't dictate how well his team does. If this was the case, they would have played well before this season, Vancouver would have played well the year Torts was here, etc.

Yet, everyone focuses on the coach because they need someone to praise/blame. Go figure....

Columbus is playing a much different game under Tortorella than they did under Todd Richards. They were improving last season despite injuries and this season with a healthy lineup, Columbus is embarrassing other top teams like Pittsburgh and Montreal. 

The reason why Torts didn't work out in Vancouver is the same reason why it isn't working for Willie... the vets in Vancouver don't want to sacrifice to win, end of story. Plus they know they are safe as management tells them they won't ask them to waive their NTCs.

I really like Hansen's game though. .too bad he's out again. If only the other guys were as hungry as him...

19 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Columbus is playing a much different game under Tortorella than they did under Todd Richards. They were improving last season despite injuries and this season with a healthy lineup, Columbus is embarrassing other top teams like Pittsburgh and Montreal. 

The reason why Torts didn't work out in Vancouver is the same reason why it isn't working for Willie... the vets in Vancouver don't want to sacrifice to win, end of story. Plus they know they are safe as management tells them they won't ask them to waive their NTCs.

I really like Hansen's game though. .too bad he's out again. If only the other guys were as hungry as him...

See, I'm not really buying that. I think the team in front of Torts is just better in general. Perhaps Richards was also just a bad coach.

Coaches tend to be hit or miss and I haven't really noticed a lot of consistency among the league with coaches compared with winning teams aside from a couple of exceptions (like Trotz, etc). I'm not saying they don't make an impact at all. I'm just saying people focus so much on the coach because it's the easy way to think of things rather than thinking the team might actually be good.

Torts is a good coach but was in a bad situation here. After 2011, this team has never found it's way. It's cost good men their jobs and will  continue to do so until the ship rights (sooner than later I hope).

Torts is in a good spot right now. A young, hungry team with an elite goaltender playing to his potential. A few of his players are exceeding their expectations but they are all buying in.

We will see how long it lasts. Some adversity always provides the test. Torts is no Quenville or Bowman but he is a good coach in the right situation. Probably like Willie would or could be. 

I said it when Torts was hired in Vancouver: his shtick doesn't play with veteran players. Public dressings down of players like Hansen and Edler...criticizing your team in the media...you don't instill fear in players who have been around for a long time, they just tune you out.

Now Torts has a group of younger players and his style is more suited to his roster. I also think that he's learned a bit from the debacle in Vancouver and has toned it down a bit.

I perceive Torts as a very high risk, high reward kind of guy. His teams are either wildly successful, or they have terrible seasons. The Lightning in the earlier years were dominant, but when they began to falter, they faltered hard. The Rangers started off terrible, but then he clicked with them and they had great success. He obviously didn't click in Vancouver with the Canucks of 2013-14 nor did he with the 2015-16 Blue Jackets, but has obviously clicked with the team this year.

On 23/12/2016 at 0:44 AM, Bob.Loblaw said:

Don't get ahead of yourself.  He had an extremely poor reputation going into this season and they were garbage at the start (opposite of us).  Wait this out and see if they make the playoffs.

Don't forget that when Alain Vigneault moved to the Rangers he turned them into cup finalists and President's Trophy winners.  He made the team better than under Tortorella.  He did poorly in Vancouver and he did VERY poorly for the US national team.  This is career revival/redemption or whatever you want to call it.  But do not deny that he had some rough years.

Absolutely correct..Torts has a history of polarizing stars and key players on his teams..He gets results usually at the expense of overall team morale and it catches up to him.   His world Cup roster was a joke so that isn't completely on him.  Give it a year or maybe two and whatever is working now will stop ....At least that is what history tells us.  Keenan and Torts have a lot in common and we all know how that ended.

On 2016-12-23 at 9:37 AM, Stelar said:

Let's not all start turning Torts into some kind of saviour here.  He was a disaster as a coach here. Bottom line.  

Do you know why that was? 

Only Kesler really wanted to play for an American coach in a Canadian market. Not even the Sedins. Pretty hard to coach a team when you can't even gain the respect of the room.

^ this isn't speculation I heard this from a current player.

Archived