The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Dunce

AlamoCanuck

Last 2 games really highlighted our draft woes last 10 years..... how is it we have NOT had a scouting overhaul in this time.  Yes, some have left, but the core scouting staff still in place.  Is this Aquascum management or the front office refusal to admit the scouting staff sucks and has sucked badly for the last 10 years.  Add to the point that the last few coaches have NOT been what you call.... rookie/development friendly.   I mean Magna has received more ice time than Horvat did before injuries FORCED WD to play him more last year,but then again WD likes to play 3/4th lines with 3 mins left and own by one(whole different issue that leads me to drink)... or Magna on powerplay time*facepalm*.  

Anyhow.... has the scouting let us down or management when it comes to drafting/developing players?  I think scouting should shoulder most of the blame, but would be interested to hear all sides from the other fans

Terrible thread but I think we just got a bit unlucky. In hindsight, of the last 2 drafts we really needed a first line center, powerforward and top defenceman. We drafted McCann, Virtanen and Juolevi. That fills our needs, but we didn't take the best player available for the respective positions.

At each time, think about our "future core" and what we needed. When we drafted Horvat we had a sound foundational 2C core guy in place. Fantastic.

Next draft we take Virtanen with 6th overall, leaving a potential future 1st line center/Henrik-replacement in Nylander and a bunch of skilled wingers like Ehlers. To be honest I wouldn't have taken Ehlers at the time, would have much rather taken Nylander who is more NHL-ready, has proven he can play against men and brings elite-level skill and playmaking ability that we needed to replace the Sedins' talent with. Instead we take a powerforward. No problem, as long as we take a skilled playmaker later.

We take McCann later that draft, another likely 2C or 3C and very unlikely that he becomes a first line center. Funnily enough the wild-card Pastrnak goes the next pick and look where the two players are now. Regardless, McCann is traded away anyway.

Following draft there isn't much late in the 1st round, we take Brock Boeser who may easily be the best player of that late-round, but despite that he's almost a carbon-copy of Virtanen. Two-north-south players, Brock more a skilled goal scorer while Virtanen plays with more physicality, but neither of them are very good playmakers. So now we've got Horvat a two-way center with not much top-end elite playmaking skill, Virtanen who really just hits and scores, and Boeser who is mainly a scorer. No playmakers. Not much high end offensive vision or talent.

Take it into the latest draft and we finally take someone who isn't a north-south forward. I like the Juolevi pick, we clearly needed him on defence. Thank God we didn't take Tkachuk or we'd have yet another player of the same mould.

Regardless, we have 3 similar types of forwards in Horvat, Boeser and Virtanen, and one nice defenceman. Nylander to that mix would have really evened things out, as would Ehlers. This team still lacks that future top line skilled forward and it hurts to see guys like Ehlers dance around with Laine, and Nylander embarass defences with Matthews. We very easily could have had one of the best lines in the future NHL with Nylander/Ehlers - Horvat - Boeser. Instead we'll be hoping Virtanen can get his crap together in the AHL for another season.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Terrible thread but I think we just got a bit unlucky. In hindsight, of the last 2 drafts we really needed a first line center, powerforward and top defenceman. We drafted McCann, Virtanen and Juolevi. That fills our needs, but we didn't take the best player available for the respective positions.

At each time, think about our "future core" and what we needed. When we drafted Horvat we had a sound foundational 2C core guy in place. Fantastic.

Next draft we take Virtanen with 6th overall, leaving a potential future 1st line center/Henrik-replacement in Nylander and a bunch of skilled wingers like Ehlers. To be honest I wouldn't have taken Ehlers at the time, would have much rather taken Nylander who is more NHL-ready, has proven he can play against men and brings elite-level skill and playmaking ability that we needed to replace the Sedins' talent with. Instead we take a powerforward. No problem, as long as we take a skilled playmaker later.

We take McCann later that draft, another likely 2C or 3C and very unlikely that he becomes a first line center. Funnily enough the wild-card Pastrnak goes the next pick and look where the two players are now. Regardless, McCann is traded away anyway.

Following draft there isn't much late in the 1st round, we take Brock Boeser who may easily be the best player of that late-round, but despite that he's almost a carbon-copy of Virtanen. Two-north-south players, Brock more a skilled goal scorer while Virtanen plays with more physicality, but neither of them are very good playmakers. So now we've got Horvat a two-way center with not much top-end elite playmaking skill, Virtanen who really just hits and scores, and Boeser who is mainly a scorer. No playmakers. Not much high end offensive vision or talent.

Take it into the latest draft and we finally take someone who isn't a north-south forward. I like the Juolevi pick, we clearly needed him on defence. Thank God we didn't take Tkachuk or we'd have yet another player of the same mould.

Regardless, we have 3 similar types of forwards in Horvat, Boeser and Virtanen, and one nice defenceman. Nylander to that mix would have really evened things out, as would Ehlers. This team still lacks that future top line skilled forward and it hurts to see guys like Ehlers dance around with Laine, and Nylander embarass defences with Matthews. We very easily could have had one of the best lines in the future NHL with Nylander/Ehlers - Horvat - Boeser. Instead we'll be hoping Virtanen can get his crap together in the AHL for another season.

Way too much info for so little stupid 

11 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Good post. Could also add a huge factor, we haven't sucked for very long compared to some of these other teams. We SHOULD be further away in our rebuild. Luck plays a huge factor in it. Had we won 1st or 2nd in 2016, no one would be complaining about our future core. We were one lotto pick away from shutting up most detractors.

5 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Way too much info for so little stupid 

There was a fair bit of stupid, to be honest. I mean besides the obvious of Megna getting more icetime than Horvat (Horvat averaging over 17mins where Megna has just over 10mins per game - even Megna's season high of over 16mins was less than Horvat's 17+mins that same night - and Horvat's nearly 2mins of PP time dwarfs Megna's 30+secs), there's a lot of reactionary ranting going on without any real concrete substance.

4 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Good post. Could also add a huge factor, we haven't sucked for very long compared to some of these other teams. We SHOULD be further away in our rebuild. Luck plays a huge factor in it. Had we won 1st or 2nd in 2016, no one would be complaining about our future core. We were one lotto pick away from shutting up most detractors.

Show me the money 

is the big $64 dollar question ? It's not about the detractors or distraction. . Paying attention to the prize an aspiring to acquire it is the real artful adventure in this journey.

3 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

There was a fair bit of stupid, to be honest. I mean besides the obvious of Megna getting more icetime than Horvat (Horvat averaging over 17mins where Megna has just over 10mins per game - even Megna's season high of over 16mins was less than Horvat's 17+mins that same night - and Horvat's nearly 2mins of PP time dwarfs Megna's 30+secs), there's a lot of reactionary ranting going on without any real concrete substance.

Does it really matter in a game like tonight weather Megna is 1/4 of the player of a Horvat?

You haven't paid attention to Jim Benning's drafts it seems. Thatcher Demko at 36th. Nikita Tryamkin at 66th, Gustav Forsling at 126th, Gaudette at 149th, and Boeser at 23rd. All of those picks look to be steals at the moment. I'd say our scouting is fine.

13 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

You haven't paid attention to Jim Benning's drafts it seems. Thatcher Demko at 36th. Nikita Tryamkin at 66th, Gustav Forsling at 126th, Gaudette at 149th, and Boeser at 23rd. All of those picks look to be steals at the moment. I'd say our scouting is fine.

Forsling doesn't really count because they gave up on him for Clendenning. Actually, maybe it's our pro scouts who suck.

Archived