The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Dunce

AlamoCanuck

16 minutes ago, Beeekz37 said:

I did... I felt dumber after reading it as it is the same dead horse that has been beaten a million times over on this site.

The kid (Virtanen) will be fine in a couple years (not  an impact player right away) and after he starts to feel a little more comfortable in the big leagues, his game will change and we may see Bert 2.0. He will never end up being the Neely we traded away so many years ago, and hey, he may never be Bert 2.0 but I truly believe it is way too early to give up on him. Giving him a roster spot right away was a mistake, and it may have hindered development, but he will bounce back.

Part of it is the no-mans land that 18 and 19 year olds can land in, that are too good for the WHL but too young for the AHL. They should change it to at least match getting kids drafted from Europe. I think there should be some exemptions for 18 years olds that are 1st round picks. 

For all the people debating Virtanen vs Nylander, the first thing I think of when I think of Virtanen is a western conference two way physical player. First thing I think of with Nylander is a smaller skilled eastern conference player who jumped out of the way to avoid a point shot. No contest here.

18 hours ago, AlamoCanuck said:

Last 2 games really highlighted our draft woes last 10 years..... how is it we have NOT had a scouting overhaul in this time.  Yes, some have left, but the core scouting staff still in place.  Is this Aquascum management or the front office refusal to admit the scouting staff sucks and has sucked badly for the last 10 years.  Add to the point that the last few coaches have NOT been what you call.... rookie/development friendly.   I mean Magna has received more ice time than Horvat did before injuries FORCED WD to play him more last year,but then again WD likes to play 3/4th lines with 3 mins left and own by one(whole different issue that leads me to drink)... or Magna on powerplay time*facepalm*.  

Anyhow.... has the scouting let us down or management when it comes to drafting/developing players?  I think scouting should shoulder most of the blame, but would be interested to hear all sides from the other fans

You make me laugh

54 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Part of it is the no-mans land that 18 and 19 year olds can land in, that are too good for the WHL but too young for the AHL. They should change it to at least match getting kids drafted from Europe. I think there should be some exemptions for 18 years olds that are 1st round picks. 

I have often wondered how good for development it truly is to send them back to Jr for one more year. Going straight to the AHL would give them better experience on how to play against men at an almost nhl level (if the age limit was lowered for AHL). Once they can hone in on what it takes to be successful in that league, they should be able to break into the NHL.

I have seen TONS of kids ruined completely by given full time roster spots right out of the gate and become nothing but mediocre players. Some even full time 4th liners for some clubs. On the flip side, look at Marc-Andre Fleury. The guy was shell shocked after his first couple seasons with Pittsburgh. He has been an okay goalie (at times spectacular) but never developed into the elite goalie he should have been. My thoughts anyway lol

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

Why are so many people whining? We are tanking for the next 2 years and then we will be on the upswing again. It's not rocket science. If it bothers you so much take a 2 year hiatus from the team like all the other band wagoners.

We can't event tank properly...

We sign washed up vets like Loui  E  / Miller in some sad attempt to limit our tank to 25th overall......

A first overall would look pretty good right now to most Canuck fans...

15 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am one who believes that most of that isn't necessarily who we have picked but how we are developing them.

For many years our drafting was so horrendous that even perfect development would not likely have produced much. Unfortunately our development of young players, particularly skill players, was also horrendous. That gets far less play than the actual drafting does.

Those players from recent drafts have one thing going for them. NHL teams and a coach who are willing to trust them with the kind of role that they were drafted to fill. Our development focus seems to be to turn every player into a defense first player before ever giving them a role that uses their talents properly. It is fine in theory but in practice I believe that has been the biggest contributing factor to our lack of developed prospects other than middle 6 or bottom 4 dmen.

First you need to pick the right players. But more importantly whoever you pick you have to develop effectively. And unlike what the Canucks seem to believe, that has less to do with time served "earning it" and more to do with putting players in the right positions to earn it faster.

Blame Scotty Bowman. He was the coach that started the mantra "if you won't play a two game you won't play for me". He even threatened to move Yzerman if he didn't start playing a two way game. For some reason other coaches have adopted the same mantra. Silly fools copying the winningest coach in NHL history.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Blame Scotty Bowman. He was the coach that started the mantra "if you won't play a two game you won't play for me". He even threatened to move Yzerman if he didn't start playing a two way game. For some reason other coaches have adopted the same mantra. Silly fools copying the winningest coach in NHL history.

WELCOME TO 2016

Bowman certainly expected players to become two way players but not exclusively before they were actually used to their strengths. He recognized that it is in fact possible to let players play to their strengths and improve their weaknesses at the same time.

Desjardins is no Scotty Bowman and the comparison and insinuation makes me laugh. The obvious difference is Biwman got the most out of those players at both ends of the ice. Willie kills their play in one end to make them better in the other. That's the difference between a legendary coach and an average to below average one.

18 hours ago, smokes said:

Forsling doesn't really count because they gave up on him for Clendenning. Actually, maybe it's our pro scouts who suck.

Clendenning was part of Sutter, neither Dmen have cracked a roster full time yet..

Also, Stecher is easily better than both, so the pain is gone.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Yeah, everyone is now under that idiot's spell.

If only WD would free up Baertschi to be more creative instead of expecting him to play defense (so boring!) we may be able to enjoy many more of those easy ass tap ins like Giordano's last night, as superskillz Baer does the vacant skate by. 

I thoroughly enjoyed that play - was thrilled to see Sven's creativity thrive.

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

We can't event tank properly...

We sign washed up vets like Loui  E  / Miller in some sad attempt to limit our tank to 25th overall......

A first overall would look pretty good right now to most Canuck fans...

Ok I'll definitely give you Erickson, that was an awful signing. I knew that was a mistake and I was quite vocal about it. They had rocks in their heads for that one. I don't mind the Miller signing though. He's grown on me, he's played decent and has been a quiet leader on the team. The other thing that baffles me is this team is already tanking, why are the tankers complaining? Linden isn't retarded, he knows this team is god awful at the moment... 

4 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Ok I'll definitely give you Erickson, that was an awful signing. I knew that was a mistake and I was quite vocal about it. They had rocks in their heads for that one. I don't mind the Miller signing though. He's grown on me, he's played decent and has been a quiet leader on the team. The other thing that baffles me is this team is already tanking, why are the tankers complaining? Linden isn't retarded, he knows this team is god awful at the moment... 

Nothing against Miller. He has earned his contract.   Just not a fan of propping up a steaming pile of s...

Would rather hit rock bottom ... then build our way up.  

25th overall is not where i want to be. 

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Nothing against Miller. He has earned his contract.   Just not a fan of propping up a steaming pile of s...

Would rather hit rock bottom ... then build our way up.  

25th overall is not where i want to be. 

The season is only half over we still have more time to fall. The sedins aren't usually as good in the second half of the season. I think we will finish 3rd last and it will come to the fate of the lotto yet again. If we are doing an all out Toronto tank I think next season is the year to do so. We will be bringing more young guys in Boeser, Juolevi possibly and Virtanen.

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

The season is only half over we still have more time to fall. The sedins aren't usually as good in the second half of the season. I think we will finish 3rd last and it will come to the fate of the lotto yet again. If we are doing an all out Toronto tank I think next season is the year to do so. We will be bringing more young guys in Boeser, Juolevi possibly and Virtanen.

Have to agree with you.

When all  the teams start to play grittier playoff hockey... look for Hank and Danny to disappear....

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Have to agree with you.

When all  the teams start to play grittier playoff hockey... look for Hank and Danny to disappear....

I love the Sedins but the last couple seasons they have faded down the stretch. So it's highly possible you will get what you want. Erickson signing was inexcusable though. 

8 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I love the Sedins but the last couple seasons they have faded down the stretch. So it's highly possible you will get what you want. Erickson signing was inexcusable though. 

Not what i want.... just what will happen.

Hank and Danny are Canuck Legends. Carried this club the last 10 years.   Both deserve a cup. 

Archived