The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Partially Responsible for Canuck Team (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Reading the last 3 PGT's, has made me feel more upset with CDC than the Canucks.........

First Off, we as a group of fans do have a voice in the Canuck's decisions, I don't know exactly how many of us there are, but when an owner or manager of a company has a large group of their customers echoing the same message, it does send a message, and it will make a difference, in how decisions are made.

Unfortunately, CDC can not get their collective voices together, there are way too many rose colored glasses people on here, that confuse wishes, with fact. Too many people that compare our players only the current players of our own team, instead of looking up and looking at the teams around the league as a comparison.

Stepping back several years, and suggesting that the Sedin's were on a downward trend, there were far too many people that expected that these 2 great players, could easily play well into their 40's, or at the least their very late 30's at the same speed. Unfortunately, the Sedin's game, was never based on speed, but on puck control, and as they started out of their prime, you could see how opposing wingers were catching them before they got down ice, and defencemen were able to follow the cycle better, as coaching adjusted to their singular playing style. As they slowed down, it just became easier and easier to defend.

What bothered me about this, was not the Sedin's declining, but CDC's total blind spot, and absolute refusal to consider that this was happening.

Now, this fact, just didn't stop with the Sedin's, but with other aging veterans too........Hamhuis, Burrows, Vrbata, Edler, etc., were all over 30, and declining, yet CDC's love for the Sedin's made it almost impossible to see that a proper strip down rebuild needed to be done.

Further more, our love for Trevor (A rookie Exec.) was thought to be a magic man and squeeze water from stone, and whether Aqualini or Benning interfered with the rebuild or not, the direction, was not a committed one, nor was it singular in that direction. Again, we (CDC) ran around saying Trevor will be able to right the ship, as JOE says, "In Benning we trust!"), Benning is supposed to be a reflection of Trevor, so again, our Rose Glasses are on, as the acknowledgement to the decline, just could not been seen, by Linden and Benning, and again, CDC's voice was disjointed, and not singular.

If the Ownership had heard a fan base, and that is what CDC is part of clearly, their decisions may have been different, they may have accepted the continuance of selling off aging assets, and bad contracts, as they started to do with Garrison. 

So, looking back at the last 3 years and including this season, does any CDCer besides Debbie, actually think we are a rising team, loaded with potential? The news from CDC, is that we may, but the rest of the world doesn't...........as I have repeatedly said, " Don't bet against Vegas", 

Our asset management has been atrocious, letting many vets walk, or not moving them while they have value, or simply giving it away (the picks), But again, CDC did not have a  singular voice, or anything like it.

The funny thing is, we are slowly seeing parts of CDC jumping off the bandwagon, and moving over to the "rebuild" not "retool" side. I find it funny, that many on CDC called the "rebuild" side "tankers", are now complaining that we stemmed the tide and attempted to stay competitive, instead of allowing us to move assets and fall to the absolute bottom, where we are for the most part anyways, and not having a chance at McDavid or Matthews. There was no certainty in that, but the consolation prizes would have been much better, now we are at the mercy of a little white ball and Bettman ( who I personally don't trust).

Finally, to illustrate how divided, we we are on here, when Benning singed Erikkson, some looked at Erikkson as a way to prop up the Sedin's, instead of acknowledging that Erikkson, was declining also, and that collectively our aging core would not improve with his addition. (Please admit to your selves that secretly you thought Erikkson would help the Sedin's on the powerplay, and we would be competitive, and in the playoff race for the 16th spot)

This is a time to have a collective voice, it will be said that it is too late, and I somewhat agree, but still we all need to get onboard with our message to who ever is going to take over for Linden and Benning

Merry Fickin Christmas!

I'm having alot of fun this season. I'm entertained and I am enjoying watch our youth step up. I am a canucks fan through good or bad and I am more then willing to be patient as the team transitions to a new squad. I have tickets for the Colorado game and I'm looking at buying a Horvat jersey on boxing day. Is that rose coloured glasses? I just think I bleed green and blue. 

7 minutes ago, ILL BILL NECRO said:

Lets just call a spade a spade and admit it is 100% Janisisahockeynuts fault.

Totally. If Janisahockeynut could have made a more convincing argument a few years ago, we'd have landed McDavid and Laine.

Thanks for nothing, Jan. 

3 minutes ago, Xur said:

I'm having alot of fun this season. I'm entertained and I am enjoying watch our youth step up. I am a canucks fan through good or bad and I am more then willing to be patient as the team transitions to a new squad. I have tickets for the Colorado game and I'm looking at buying a Horvat jersey on boxing day. Is that rose coloured glasses? I just think I bleed green and blue. 

I'm not the OP, but no that isn't an example of rose coloured glasses... There were LITERALLY people who thought this team was a playoff contender and expected us to win a round at least... It's hilarious how stupid some people on these boards are.

You know, this whole letting free agents walk for nothing thing is getting tired.  If we were going to go off of the thought that you should never let anyone go or else you're wasting assets, almost every gm in the league would be fired.  UFA's hit the market every year.  It happens, get over it.  People didn't want to buy high off of Hamhuis or Vrbata.  Hamhuis has been scratched how many times in Dallas this season?

As for drafting, we're setting up at a pretty good rate considering we had nothing to really show for the Gillis years.  Be patient, and wait it out.  This season is about developing and giving the team a goal.  The goal should NEVER be to fail.  You should always believe that you're out there to accomplish something, not start a tire fire. 

And, look at the Edmonton model.  We at least have identified players to mentor the ones coming in and are doing that.  

1 minute ago, Solinar said:

You know, this whole letting free agents walk for nothing thing is getting tired.  If we were going to go off of the thought that you should never let anyone go or else you're wasting assets, almost every gm in the league would be fired.  UFA's hit the market every year.  It happens, get over it.  People didn't want to buy high off of Hamhuis or Vrbata.  Hamhuis has been scratched how many times in Dallas this season?

You've completely missed the mark here... How many players with tangible value don't get traded at the deadline when they are on a losing team and on an expiring contract. Of courses players hit UFA, these players who aren't moved to contenders were already on contenders in the vast majority of cases... ofc there are exceptions, but this is definitely the rule. It's just the case that the price for deadline rentals has been steadily declining and Jim Benning refused to pull the trigger because he didn't understand this.

1 minute ago, Solinar said:

As for drafting, we're setting up at a pretty good rate considering we had nothing to really show for the Gillis years.  Be patient, and wait it out.  This season is about developing and giving the team a goal.  The goal should NEVER be to fail.  You should always believe that you're out there to accomplish something, not start a tire fire. 

And, look at the Edmonton model.  We at least have identified players to mentor the ones coming in and are doing that.  

I automatically assume that anyone who cites Edmonton is stupid. You clearly have no objectivity.

Archived