The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Partially Responsible for Canuck Team (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are you happy with JV?  Ehlers went soon after, and plenty of people wanted his elite skill to replace the Twins.  Pastrnak went immediately after McCann.  We are rebuilding, and can't afford missing the better players.  What's Juiolevi doing against a really weak team like Denmark at the WJC?  What did he do yesterday?  The guy is a minus 4 in two friggin games!  Sure JB's picks will play in the NHL, but will the be elite or average?  If we want a Cup we need elite, don't we?

Some of your posts indicate that you're an old timer like me. But most of them make me believe you're a 13 yr old kid. No patience or common sense. Just panic.

partially responsible for our current team? When I recieve calls from management before the draft and trade deadline asking for my input I will gladly share some responsibility. Until then, the owners who have the rights to hire and fire whom they please can have 100%.

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

Wait, we're finished rebuilding now? What we have now is the new core and nothing more is coming? Having a team fully rebuild and a new core established after just two seasons is amazing!

I agree with you on the matter that a rebuild is fluid.  We are headed for top five picks for a while, so we will see what those players are like.  Hopefully, we get a couple elite guys to add to our current mix.  

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

Some of your posts indicate that you're an old timer like me. But most of them make me believe you're a 13 yr old kid. No patience or common sense. Just panic.

If only we could go back to 13, but know what we do now.  ::D

17 hours ago, coastal.view said:

how old is jv?

isn't he finally getting the seasoning and development he so clearly needs in the ahl

he is a power forward

they, like most dmen, take just a little bit longer to develop

people like to compare jv to bert.. well bert took a number of years and a trade to finally hit his stride

if jv can develop into bert... with some time and patience. then yes.. i can ne very happy with JV

but let's live in the real world alf.. you are no rookie.. show some patience man

there are so many youngsters on here wanting immediate results

fine wine requires seasoning. .so do quality hockey players.. even 1st round picks. you should know that

and you wish to write off juiolevi after one game?  man you have issues .. he has a very high hockey iq.. could be a very special player

how old is he alf??

how old are you?

what were you doing at age 18?  performing under pressure in public to achieve world class standards? i doubt it

you might need a cup soon given your age

but quality takes time to develop and an elite team takes years to build

we had stanley cup finalists in 82, 94, 2011.. so what does that tell you? another quality team in the 2020s is what it tells me

you can stew in the meantime or just enjoy the process

JV vs Tkachuk?...how do you explain that?

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

JV vs Tkachuk?...how do you explain that?

I wonder if Tkachuk benefited from growing up in a professional hockey environment?  No doubt he was exposed from a young age to the rigors of being a pro, likely that gave him a better understanding of the work it takes to be successful at a high level and that nothing is gifted to anyone, it takes a lot of hard work to make it and stay at the top level.  

cdc is just a chat room for fans and non fans to vent, share ideas, celebrate. I signed up on this when it first started, and also became a ticket holder.

the only message the owners will get is if you buy tickets or their merchandise. That's probably it.

At summer ticket holder meetings, you can rant all you want directly to the GM. But I doubt things get changed much. Although one fan did ask Linden recently about bringing back the skate jerseys, and he did make it happen for one game. The website cdc has no influence, but they do spread media gossips.

The only thing I think cdc does is provide a general voice of the fans.  I am willing to be that someone in some capacity reads it.

But the real sign and louder voice is whether fans buy products and tickets.  They are the customer, and a business needs customers.

As for the team direction and current state, I like what Benning has done overall.  While he has certainly made mistakes, but he has also shored up weak areas and created a pretty decent complimentary team. 

But thats the problem.  He's created a decent roster, minus the top line.  Without a dynamic top scoring threat, he can do everything right and still not create a team that can compete for the cup.  And without the high draft picks or appropriate talent in the system, that last part looks miles away.

10 minutes ago, kloubek said:

The only thing I think cdc does is provide a general voice of the fans.  I am willing to be that someone in some capacity reads it.

But the real sign and louder voice is whether fans buy products and tickets.  They are the customer, and a business needs customers.

As for the team direction and current state, I like what Benning has done overall.  While he has certainly made mistakes, but he has also shored up weak areas and created a pretty decent complimentary team. 

But thats the problem.  He's created a decent roster, minus the top line.  Without a dynamic top scoring threat, he can do everything right and still not create a team that can compete for the cup.  And without the high draft picks or appropriate talent in the system, that last part looks miles away.

Agree with everything except the last bit. At this point in time Dmen seem to be worth more than forwards, as recent trades indicate; a good Dman has a value comparable to that of an excellent forward. And JB has managed to accumulate what appears to be pretty good depth in D.

A surplus of Dmen combined with a shortage of forwards is something that should be quite feasible to address through the trade market. With the expansion draft coming up I think JB will almost be forced to trade some quality D for some quality young forward(s).

On 12/28/2016 at 8:54 AM, Alflives said:

If only we could go back to 13, but know what we do now.  ::D

My God I wouldn't want to be 13 again. Perhaps 20 and know what I know now. But those awkward early teen years, no thanks. Although on the other hand, school years (and summers off) were much simpler than working and paying bills.....

21 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Agree with everything except the last bit. At this point in time Dmen seem to be worth more than forwards, as recent trades indicate; a good Dman has a value comparable to that of an excellent forward. And JB has managed to accumulate what appears to be pretty good depth in D.

A surplus of Dmen combined with a shortage of forwards is something that should be quite feasible to address through the trade market. With the expansion draft coming up I think JB will almost be forced to trade some quality D for some quality young forward(s).

I do agree that we have the defensive depth that could very well HELP acquire forward help in exchange.  But as good as Hutton and Stecher have been at times, it is still hard to know exactly what we have in them.  What Juolevi will become is anyones guess.  Next to that, only Tanev has high trade value and while he is included in most trade proposals, I think he is the kind of defensive defenseman every team needs - including our own.

Besides the unknown future value of defensemen in our system, we are also faced with needing THREE players for the line.  There is a chance Horvat might be able to eventually fill that top center role, but he really does look to me to have a 2nd line ceiling.  Then Virtanen, who cant even crack the existing lineup and probably will prove to be a 2nd liner at best himself.  

The one part I'm leaving out is the possibility of signing a high profile ufa, which rarely becomes available in the required caliber, but you never know.  

So I see your point, and perhaps my claim of "miles away" is needlessly negative, but I maintain its a difficult challenge Henning is going to have to overcome.

On 12/27/2016 at 0:33 PM, Xur said:

I'm sorry you are so miserable. I know the holidays can be tough for some people. You obviously seem like a passionate person. I hope you can take all this energy you have and apply it to something worthwhile like all the atrocities our federal, provincial and municipal governments commit. 

Misery aside, everything I said was spot on. 

Archived