The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Partially Responsible for Canuck Team (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

1 hour ago, Xur said:

I'm having alot of fun this season. I'm entertained and I am enjoying watch our youth step up. I am a canucks fan through good or bad and I am more then willing to be patient as the team transitions to a new squad. I have tickets for the Colorado game and I'm looking at buying a Horvat jersey on boxing day. Is that rose coloured glasses? I just think I bleed green and blue. 

Sportchek has all their NHL jerseys 50% off right now, meaning you could grab Bo's jersey for $80-90. Hurry up.

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Reading the last 3 PGT's, has made me feel more upset with CDC than the Canucks.........

First Off, we as a group of fans do have a voice in the Canuck's decisions, I don't know exactly how many of us there are, but when an owner or manager of a company has a large group of their customers echoing the same message, it does send a message, and it will make a difference, in how decisions are made.

Unfortunately, CDC can not get their collective voices together, there are way too many rose colored glasses people on here, that confuse wishes, with fact. Too many people that compare our players only the current players of our own team, instead of looking up and looking at the teams around the league as a comparison.

Stepping back several years, and suggesting that the Sedin's were on a downward trend, there were far too many people that expected that these 2 great players, could easily play well into their 40's, or at the least their very late 30's at the same speed. Unfortunately, the Sedin's game, was never based on speed, but on puck control, and as they started out of their prime, you could see how opposing wingers were catching them before they got down ice, and defencemen were able to follow the cycle better, as coaching adjusted to their singular playing style. As they slowed down, it just became easier and easier to defend.

What bothered me about this, was not the Sedin's declining, but CDC's total blind spot, and absolute refusal to consider that this was happening.

Now, this fact, just didn't stop with the Sedin's, but with other aging veterans too........Hamhuis, Burrows, Vrbata, Edler, etc., were all over 30, and declining, yet CDC's love for the Sedin's made it almost impossible to see that a proper strip down rebuild needed to be done.

Further more, our love for Trevor (A rookie Exec.) was thought to be a magic man and squeeze water from stone, and whether Aqualini or Benning interfered with the rebuild or not, the direction, was not a committed one, nor was it singular in that direction. Again, we (CDC) ran around saying Trevor will be able to right the ship, as JOE says, "In Benning we trust!"), Benning is supposed to be a reflection of Trevor, so again, our Rose Glasses are on, as the acknowledgement to the decline, just could not been seen, by Linden and Benning, and again, CDC's voice was disjointed, and not singular.

If the Ownership had heard a fan base, and that is what CDC is part of clearly, their decisions may have been different, they may have accepted the continuance of selling off aging assets, and bad contracts, as they started to do with Garrison. 

So, looking back at the last 3 years and including this season, does any CDCer besides Debbie, actually think we are a rising team, loaded with potential? The news from CDC, is that we may, but the rest of the world doesn't...........as I have repeatedly said, " Don't bet against Vegas", 

Our asset management has been atrocious, letting many vets walk, or not moving them while they have value, or simply giving it away (the picks), But again, CDC did not have a  singular voice, or anything like it.

The funny thing is, we are slowly seeing parts of CDC jumping off the bandwagon, and moving over to the "rebuild" not "retool" side. I find it funny, that many on CDC called the "rebuild" side "tankers", are now complaining that we stemmed the tide and attempted to stay competitive, instead of allowing us to move assets and fall to the absolute bottom, where we are for the most part anyways, and not having a chance at McDavid or Matthews. There was no certainty in that, but the consolation prizes would have been much better, now we are at the mercy of a little white ball and Bettman ( who I personally don't trust).

Finally, to illustrate how divided, we we are on here, when Benning singed Erikkson, some looked at Erikkson as a way to prop up the Sedin's, instead of acknowledging that Erikkson, was declining also, and that collectively our aging core would not improve with his addition. (Please admit to your selves that secretly you thought Erikkson would help the Sedin's on the powerplay, and we would be competitive, and in the playoff race for the 16th spot)

This is a time to have a collective voice, it will be said that it is too late, and I somewhat agree, but still we all need to get onboard with our message to who ever is going to take over for Linden and Benning

Merry Fickin Christmas!

I hate you for not saying this earlier, Jan. You screwed it all up!

30 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

CDC and TSN 1040 have a symbiotic relationship. They each come up with talking points and topics to hash, re-hash and discuss ad nauseam, and they share and cherry pick ideas from one another. If your saying that every idiot with the internet and those radio dummies have a say in what happens to the team, this team is doomed to failure. Fortunately they don't, and CDC has zero effect on management and coaching decisions.

The video game generation is confusing the real life NHL with GM mode in the EA sports version. You overestimate the power of CDC and misjudge its usefulness to the Canucks franchise. 

I'd be terrified if an NHL team ran their club on the opinions of their message boards. 

54 trades 

12 waiver pick ups

3 GM's

9 coaches 

11 scouting teams

11 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Neither do I, but when management starts off ignoring them and then suddenly reverses course when it suits their longevity that appears to be a little two faced to me.

I raised this "ignoring" of NTC/NMC's when Garrison was dealt as not gaining much respect throughout the league. Near the end of these deals if a player is approached prior to the TDL and told he will not be resigned the following year, I'm sure most players don't bury their heads in the sand and say no, they do need a little time though.

Like I posted before in the teams attempt to sell hope, if a team is a seller then it alerts even the most dense fan that they are no longer in the race for a playoff spot, so this management group waits until the very last minute to even start talking to the players and then misses the boat in the trade show.

I have no problem with players being asked to waive their ntc (Garrison). It happens often enough I don't see it as a big deal. Some give a list, some waive completely, and some refuse to waive. I don't think it typically has much, if any, effect on respect around the league. Unless of course a team signs a player and asks him to waive soon after. As some here are suggesting with Eriksson.

How much notice is enough? Really, players aren't stupid. If they're on an expiring contract and your team isn't in playoff contention the odds are extremely high you're moving. Here the press starts asking them about moving early on themselves. Hey Pat, I'd like to buy a clue. I'm guessing Hamhuis started thinking about the possibilty several weeks before the deadline. And I highly doubt it was the "very last minute" before Benning/Linden talked to him.

Btw, I've never heard any GM "alert the fans" they're no longer in the playoff race.

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I have no problem with players being asked to waive their ntc (Garrison). It happens often enough I don't see it as a big deal. Some give a list, some waive completely, and some refuse to waive. I don't think it typically has much, if any, effect on respect around the league. Unless of course a team signs a player and asks him to waive soon after. As some here are suggesting with Eriksson.

How much notice is enough? Really, players aren't stupid. If they're on an expiring contract and your team isn't in playoff contention the odds are extremely high you're moving. Here the press starts asking them about moving early on themselves. Hey Pat, I'd like to buy a clue. I'm guessing Hamhuis started thinking about the possibilty several weeks before the deadline. And I highly doubt it was the "very last minute" before Benning/Linden talked to him.

Btw, I've never heard any GM "alert the fans" they're no longer in the playoff race.

See Garrison, he is still on the home town discount he signed here.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I get what your saying Baggins, but I wonder if Benning should not have started earlier, and taken a fair value for Hamhuis, instead of waiting it out and getting squeezed out?

This is very true, start earlier, ask earlier, everything earlier than the last day!

Example Lou Lamoriellio last year

GM Lou Lamoriello had wisely beat the market by making five key trades in the weeks before the deadline, shipping out veterans Dion Phaneuf, Shawn Matthias, Roman Polak, Nick Spaling, James Reimer and Daniel Winnik for a nice haul of futures.

In exchange for six players not in their long-term plans, the Leafs landed four second-round picks, two fourth-round picks and two solid prospects in big Swedish winger Tobias Lindberg (a fourth-rounder in 2013) and defenceman Connor Carrick (a fifth-rounder in 2012).

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Good managers find win / win solutions

Crappy management makes EXCUSES  about why they can not be successful.  

What kind of management do you think we have right now with the Canucks ? 

dammit, i already used my minus today

"good" posters state real reasons for things 

"crappy" posters make excuses to fit their narrative 

If that's all you've got then its move on

5 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

This is very true, start earlier, ask earlier, everything earlier than the last day!

Example Lou Lamoriellio last year

GM Lou Lamoriello had wisely beat the market by making five key trades in the weeks before the deadline, shipping out veterans Dion Phaneuf, Shawn Matthias, Roman Polak, Nick Spaling, James Reimer and Daniel Winnik for a nice haul of futures.

In exchange for six players not in their long-term plans, the Leafs landed four second-round picks, two fourth-round picks and two solid prospects in big Swedish winger Tobias Lindberg (a fourth-rounder in 2013) and defenceman Connor Carrick (a fifth-rounder in 2012).

the big difference, and its the key factor, is all of those guys couldn't wait to leave TO. If Hammer and Vrbata had been that open a deal could have been done too. 

6 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

See Garrison, he is still on the home town discount he signed here.

Good for him. He played two seasons here. Asking him to waive at that point isn't detrimental at all. You're trying to make something out of nothing.

8 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

dammit, i already used my minus today

"good" posters state real reasons for things 

"crappy" posters make excuses to fit their narrative 

If that's all you've got then its move on

He's King of Surrey. He thinks everybody just puts a gun to the persons head and says sign it. Problem solved Surrey style.

27 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

OK so what what would you have done? Its tiresome seeing people act like they could have done better, there was nothing to be done. Blame Gillis if you don't like Hammers NTC.

Hey Dan, wanna go to Washington? Nope Jim, I don't. OK then, thanks Dan.

Heh Dan, wanna go to Dallas to play ?

Dan , Yupp.

Canucks - OK done deal.

You see S'all - not all that hard......

4 minutes ago, Baggins said:

He's King of Surrey. He thinks everybody just puts a gun to the persons head and says sign it. Problem solved Surrey style.

Might as well as sent Hamhuis down to Utica to ride the bus....

Team could have said the season is over and we need to start assessing the kids....

I would have been happy with that. 

Would have helped us in the draft.

Baggins - you got to stop drinking so much Green and Blue Koolaid....

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Might as well as sent Hamhuis down to Utica to ride the bus....

Team could have said the season is over and we need to start assessing the kids....

I would have been happy with that. 

Would have helped us in the draft.

Baggins - you got to stop drinking so much Green and Blue Koolaid....

Intentionally losing is for losers. If you really want to chase fans out of the building lose intentionally.

4 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Intentionally losing is for losers. If you really want to chase fans out of the building lose intentionally.

It is not intentional losing.  If Hamhuis is not willing to payback the club that gave him 25 mil in salary, then he can go ride a bus in Utica. 

Spending 2 months on the road to  possibly win a cup is something anyone i know   would do in a heartbeat. It would be a adventure  / and a lifetime opportunity. 

You are on some good glue/crack if you think Benning/Linden give a fk / take into consideration about what people say on CDC lmao get real.

All these fake stories of people saying they cancelled their season tickets because they team has no 'direction' if you can't see that we are rebuilding you don't know much about hockey. After 5+ years of no playoffs lets see how many of you stick around, wont be many of you that's for sure.

Look at how many years of top 3 / 5 / 10 drafting the Islanders, Panthers, Bluejackets, Avalanche, Oilers, Sabres, Most of these teams have not even made it to the second round let alone win a Cup...

You cant just throw young talented players on your roster all at once and expect results, a team needs the right balance of veterans and young impact players to be successful.

PICKING THE PLAYERS IS ONLY 30 PERCENT OF THE EQUATION, DEVELOPMENT AND PROVIDING A SITUATION WHERE THE PLAYER CAN EXCEL AND PLAY TO THEIR STRENGTHS HAS MUCH MORE OF AN IMPACT.

Boeser, Juolevi, and Demko is a very, very, very good foundation to build a team on...

I bet we pickup the BPA centre this year(someone like Hischier) and suddenly our future looks pretty good

Baertschi - Hischier - Boeser

Virtanen ( Still a wildcard ) - Horvat

Juolevi

Stetcher

Hutton

Demko

5 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Sitting vets when you are losing ( 27th overall )  to assess rookies is good management.  What did playing Hamhuis 2nd last of last year give us ?

Just now, logic said:

Boeser, Juolevi, and Demko is a very, very, very good foundation to build a team on...

I bet we pickup the BPA centre this year(someone like Hischier) and suddenly our future looks pretty good

Boeser, Juolevi, and Demko  are three guys that have not played a game in the NHL

All 3 may never even make the NHL.

Over Hyping Canucks prospects seems to be game on here ..

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

It is not intentional losing.  If Hamhuis is not willing to payback the club that gave him 25 mil in salary, then he can go ride a bus in Utica. 

Spending 2 months on the road to  possibly win a cup is something anyone i know   would do in a heartbeat. It would be a adventure  / and a lifetime opportunity.

He had an NTC and used it. You talk about losing respect for trading Garrison after two seasons but sending Hamhuis to the minors for exorcising his contractual right after 6 seasons would gain respect? You are the KingofSurrey. lmao

Archived