The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Partially Responsible for Canuck Team (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Boeser, Juolevi, and Demko  are three guys that have not played a game in the NHL

All 3 may never even make the NHL.

Over Hyping Canucks prospects seems to be game on here ..

bruh go find a different team, Over negativity about the Canucks seems to be game on here lmao

If you don't think Boeser , Juolevi, and Demko will atleast be NHLers I doubt you ever have seen them play. I never said they would be superstar franchise players, just that its a good foundation to build a team on

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

I can't believe the idea that Benning messed up at the TDL last year still has legs. No GM could have done anything different with these 2 guys under the same circumstances. 

1.   I agree nobody could have gotten value from Vrbata at the trade deadline.

But I didn't think that was the time to move him.  I was always of the opinion that the time to consider moving him was September, 2015, when he expressed concern about not knowing who he'd be playing with, after his center from the latter part of 2014-15, had been traded in the off-season.    Further, the time it became important to move him right away was when he was moved off Horvat's line and put with McCann and made no bones about being unhappy about it.

Remember, he'd come to Vancouver expecting to play with the twins.  He did for a while, then was moved to play with Bonino to spread the scoring.  Then Bonino was traded, Vrbata put with Horvat, then when they started slowly together he was put with McCann.  He was not a happy camper.

I thought it imperative the Canucks move him in the fall of 2015.  They didn't.  By the trade deadline he had no trade value at all.

2.  Hamhuis-about a week and a half before the trade deadline Hamhuis, when questioned, said the team management hadn't talked to him about waiving his no-trade clause.

A very short time later he was then asked, thought a while, and was restrictive about what teams he could move to.

I thought Hamhuis had value and could have been moved.  Benning in interviews later said Dallas in discussions was talking about giving about the same as they did for Russell, but then before the Canucks accepted, they got the deal for Russell and offered less for Hamhuis.

Two things there:  (a)  If the Canucks had moved quicker, they had approximately what Dallas paid for Russell on the table.  They didn't take it.

(b)  If the Canucks had decided earlier (even a couple of weeks earlier, as soon as it became apparent he was successfully returning from his injury and playing well) to ask Hamhuis to waive, there would have been more time to get offers, more time for Hamhuis to consider expanding his list. 

It might not have come to anything.  It might have.  I don't agree that we can say nobody could have done anything with Hamhuis.  Moving sooner would have improved the chances.

22 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Heh Dan, wanna go to Dallas to play ?

<insert Hamhuis talking to his family about it for a day>

Dan , Yupp.

Canucks - OK done deal.

You see S'all - not all that hard......

:picard:

Thats what happened. But Dan took a day to think about it, and in the meantime Dallas went with Russel!

You post about this like JB had the entire thing under his control. There were 2 other parties to the situation. 

5 minutes ago, logic said:

bruh go find a different team, Over negativity about the Canucks seems to be game on here lmao

If you don't think Boeser , Juolevi, and Demko will atleast be NHLers I doubt you ever have seen them play. I never said they would be superstar franchise players, just that its a good foundation to build a team on

In the op Paul (janisahockeynut) referred to people on here having rose-coloured glasses.

The fact is that Boeser, Juolevi and Demko could turn out to be a good start towards a foundation (together with a few players already on the Canucks, notably including Horvat and Stecher..  It is also possible it won't be.  It is like old days when posters were hyping Hodgson, then later Jensen, Shinkaruk, Virtanen and McCann.  Boeser, Juolevi and Demko are prospects, with nothing proven yet.  I too hope they'll turn out well, but none of us can predict with certainty that they will, any more than the posters of a year or more ago were predicting a time in the not-so-distant future when none of Jensen, Shinkaruk, Virtanen or McCann was a Canuck and only one remained in the system.

9 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

:picard:

Thats what happened. But Dan took a day to think about it, and in the meantime Dallas went with Russel!

You post about this like JB had the entire thing under his control. There were 2 other parties to the situation. 

I wouldn't expect KingofSurrey to have any logical or coherent thoughts.

He's made up his own story about Benning and is sticking to it.

10 minutes ago, tyhee said:

In the op Paul (janisahockeynut) referred to people on here having rose-coloured glasses.

The fact is that Boeser, Juolevi and Demko could turn out to be a good start towards a foundation (together with a few players already on the Canucks, notably including Horvat and Stecher..  It is also possible it won't be.  It is like old days when posters were hyping Hodgson, then later Jensen, Shinkaruk, Virtanen and McCann.  Boeser, Juolevi and Demko are prospects, with nothing proven yet.  I too hope they'll turn out well, but none of us can predict with certainty that they will, any more than the posters of a year or more ago were predicting a time in the not-so-distant future when none of Jensen, Shinkaruk, Virtanen or McCann was a Canuck and only one remained in the system.

Fair enough but Hodgson Jensen Shinkaruk ect are a lot different than Juolevi, Demko and Boeser.

5 minutes ago, logic said:

Fair enough but Hodgson Jensen Shinkaruk ect are a lot different than Juolevi, Demko and Boeser.

Shinkaruk was our leading goal scoring for the Comets at the time he was traded.  He was tracking decently at the time.

Hodgson wasn't just hyped here, but in alot of places (eg., cover of The Hockey News, etc.,).  Heck, he looked like the real deal his first NHL season with us.

Gap isn't as wide as you might think.

16 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Shinkaruk was our leading goal scoring for the Comets at the time he was traded.  He was tracking decently at the time.

Hodgson wasn't just hyped here, but in alot of places (eg., cover of The Hockey News, etc.,).  Heck, he looked like the real deal his first NHL season with us.

Gap isn't as wide as you might think.

We never had Shinkaruk and Hodgson at the same time, my point is we have a potential #1 Goalie, potential #1-2D, and potential #1 Winger, we never had our quality prospects spread out so evenly between positions before.

Even when we had McCann, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Gaunce, Horvat ect as forward prospects we lacked talented D prospects and a future bluechip goalie. For the first time in awhile this franchise is building for the base up.

4 hours ago, Xur said:

I'm having alot of fun this season. I'm entertained and I am enjoying watch our youth step up. I am a canucks fan through good or bad and I am more then willing to be patient as the team transitions to a new squad. I have tickets for the Colorado game and I'm looking at buying a Horvat jersey on boxing day. Is that rose coloured glasses? I just think I bleed green and blue. 

No. that's even worse. You're flat out blind. 

"bleeding blue and green no matter what" is exactly the kind of fan that allows management to take EVEN LONGER to fix this mess, because they know you'll run out and blow an entire paycheque on tickets and merch - in essence blindly supporting a very broken team... when what we should ALL be doing is putting the pressure on management so they don't get so comfortable and end up taking 10 more years before putting together a team that's competitive.

Why do you think Toronto was so bad for so long? Because the very thing they pride themselves on (being "true fans" and "sticking through it no matter what") enabled their management to just float through time like nothing really mattered. As long as they're making money, who cares?

It's retarded and backasswards logic. 

You responsibility as a fan is not to go out and spend $500 or $1000 on tickets and jerseys when your team sucks. It's to stand up and say %$#@ you guys! Get your $#@ together and fix this mess or you're not seeing another dime from me!!

When your kid throws a tantrum over something stupid, do you reward him/her with a box of chocolates and unlimited Xbox time? 
That's what's going on here.

1 hour ago, logic said:

We never had Shinkaruk and Hodgson at the same time, my point is we have a potential #1 Goalie, potential #1-2D, and potential #1 Winger, we never had our quality prospects spread out so evenly between positions before.

We did in 2006:

Corey Schneider:  Goalie

Ryan Kesler:  Center

Michael Grabner:  Goal scoring winger

Alex Edler: Defenseman

Luc Bourdon:  Defenseman

21 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We did in 2006:

A lot of these players completely exceeded everyones expectations and were not that hyped to begin with, anyways lets look at how some of these players turned out.

Corey Schneider:  Goalie Top 10 goalie 

Ryan Kesler:  Center Allstar/ Selke Winner/ 40 goal scorer

Michael Grabner:  Goal scoring winger ( LOL if you're using Grabner as comparable for Boeser ) 

Alex Edler: Defenseman Legit #2-3 D on most teams in his prime

Luc Bourdon:  Defenseman RIP

I don't see you're making tho? Did we not build an amazing team with some of those guys at our core?

Just now, logic said:

I don't see you're making tho? Did we not build an amazing team with some of those guys at our core?

Just commenting that despite our bleak drafting history - there have been some pretty bright spots (not that far off in terms of "value" to what we have now).  It sometimes just get overshadowed by some really AWFUL drafting.

Course, sometimes, it's more than just "picking the right guy".  You need some *GOOD* luck (which as a Canuckfan all know too well - it's been mostly bad) & more importantly - player development (which has been equally, if not moreso, lacking).

2 hours ago, logic said:

Juolevi, Demko and Boeser could turn out be our next  Jordan Schroeder...

Too early to know what we have these prospects. So far none have played a game in the show.

NHL is a whole other level.  Time will tell. 

Thats why many of us want to increase our picks each year. We need more prospects as many simply will most likely not turn out.

Jordan Schroeder though was always a "boom or bust" prospect  (due to various issues like his size, etc.,) IMHO.

Given where he was selected though, I didn't have a problem with the pick (at that point in the draft, you often want to 'swing for the fences' in trying to get real offensive talent - course these guys often in the bottom half on the draft will have obvious holes in their game).

Archived