The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Getting the future 1st line centre

Canucks need a future number one centre and I like Tyson jost for a couple reasons...

A) plays with boeser 

B ) he's flashy and talented 

C) strong nhl teams have a defensive centre and offensive centre in their top six. (Ex. Jost and horvat) 

D) we are gonna finish the year in that very awkward place in between playoffs and top 5 pick so we should get a left winger. (Ex eeli tolvanen, maxime comtois, or top centre available and convert them to wing) 

PROPOSAL: 

To Avs 

Hutton 

Gaunce 

2nd 

To canucks 

Jost 

Future top 6 lineup: 

(2017 pick) Jost boeser 

Baertschi horvat virtanen 

Juolevi stecher 

Tryamkin subban/Gudbranson 

Merry Christmas tomorrow btw

Boesers expectations are so high, there is basically no way he can surpass them.

People thought eriksson would come in and score 30 goals, people thought larsen would be our pp saviour, people thought rodin would spark canucks offense, people thought virtanen could make the jump to a second line winger.

People keep complaining about disappointment, caused by their own unrealistic expectations

33 minutes ago, Pears said:

Would you trade Nikita Scherbak or Mikhail Sergachev for Johnson? Didn't think so.

Top-4 RH shots have a lot of value. The Canucks traded McCann and a 2nd for Gudbranson alone and the Oil swapped a former 1st overall pick in Hall for a guy like Larsson, who is similar to Johnson and yet somehow Johnson and a 2nd don't get any of those unproven players? And Scherbak is not even in the same tier as Sergachev, he is very much in line with a guy like McCann who the Canucks had to ADD to in order to get a fringe top-4 guy. The Sergachev move won't happen because the Habs already have Weber and Petry and they need a guy like Serg in the future to replace an aging Markov.

14 minutes ago, drsofthands said:

Boesers expectations are so high, there is basically no way he can surpass them.

People thought eriksson would come in and score 30 goals, people thought larsen would be our pp saviour, people thought rodin would spark canucks offense, people thought virtanen could make the jump to a second line winger.

People keep complaining about disappointment, caused by their own unrealistic expectations

Yeah...

Boeser is different. He'll make it.

Window is closed...we missed it. We don't have a 1st line C now so what makes you think we can wait?

Sad reality is...we'll have to...or something huge needs to be done.

This is the biggest hole we have in our organization right now...the 2 first line slots taken by the 2 second line Sedins. We have BoHo who is a legit 2nd line C and a 2B candidate in Baer for 2nd line LW. Problem is we also have 14mil in salaries that can fill that position as well. So we have our 2nd line well covered (Sedins, BoHo, Baer, Eriksson, Hansen, Burrows, Virt, Boesser etc etc). We need a first line...NOW. But we're cap strapped for the next 1-1/2 years. If only a deal could be made to bring in legit 1st liners now (ie/ I heard somewhere that Landy and Duch are available? JK...that topic has been beat to death). Until we burn off that 14mil we're stuck.

BoHo's line is legitimately one of the top 2nd lines in the NHL (I'd put them somewhere around 4th to 7th best overall) and I'm glad to see that line step up and assume the 1st line duties...but the reality is...they are in over their head. They are good, but as 1st liners they are facing the league's top shutdown C-men, D-men or opposite some of the most dynamic 1st liners (which keeps them back on their heels). On a contender (with a legit 1st line) they would form an incredible back half of a one-two punch...but as stated above...we only have a two-two punch right now.

A deal for a Jost type player is a pretty good idea...problem is he's a ways off from being a legit 1st liner and therefore wouldn't be a huge asset increase over Henrik (for the next season and a half anyways). I still feel our best move is to somehow trade the Sedins for the immediate help, but we all know the problems associated with that (again it has been beaten to death on here...management loyalty, NMC's, 14mil, age, speed, other assets would need to be added, etc etc etc).

Bottom line is...we're in a bit of a pickle...and I think we'll have to ride out the storm as we lack both the cap space and the trade-able assets to secure some help now and in the future (again we have a valuable 1st round pick next June...but we lack the cap space to turn that into something now)...it's gonna be a rough year and a half...but unless something is done to cure the problem 18 months from now, we could be rebuilding for the next 5 years.

The idea is in the right mindset (pickup our future 1C while still on an ELC) but who would trade us that now? Possibly a team right on the cusp of contention (but they won't want our 2017 1st...they would want a roster player to contribute now...which could set our own rebuild backwards)...possibly a team that is rebuilding and is deep at C (BUF, COL)? It's a tough spot to be in for sure.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB won't trade for Jost.  He could have drafted him, and would have if he thought the guy had number one centre talents.  

For sure...my heart sank when PLD was drafted ahead of us. But then again Logan Brown? Maybe JB sees something in BoHo that we haven't seen yet and he's the plan?

1 hour ago, ABNuck said:

For sure...my heart sank when PLD was drafted ahead of us. But then again Logan Brown? Maybe JB sees something in BoHo that we haven't seen yet and he's the plan?

Bo is a really good player, but is he a number one centre?  I could see him as like a one A, providing we had a one B to go with him.  Sam Reinhart?

40 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Its awful for us why would we want to give up Boeser.

It's not really the willingness to give up on a prospect rather than just a critique on the value. Johnson is a 28 year old RH shot that has averaged 34 points a season while playing in all situations. Based on that and the market for RH shots, Johnson would easily fetch a prospect like Boeser any day of the week. That's all I'm saying.

Archived