The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Merry Christmas!

swizzey

• 10 months later...

Hey CDC, I know it's early to start talking about Christmas, but it isn't too early for Christmas cards and I wanted to urge everyone to send a card to young Jacob Thompson:

https://www.snopes.com/2017/11/08/jacob-thompson-xmas-cards/

In October 2017, Michelle Simard, the mother of nine-year-old Jacob Thompson, started a GoFundMe campaign for the somber task of having to raise funeral expenses for her terminally ill son. Simard explained that Jacob was unlikely to live to see another Christmas due to a spreading form of cancer known as Neuroblastoma:

Although Simard’s initial message was intended to address the “sticker shock” of the costs associated with funeral planning, another campaign grew out of hwe fundraiser. According to WBZ-TV, Jacob was thrilled by a side effect of that fundraiser — his receiving a number of early Christmas cards:

The card campaign prompted initial skepticism in some readers, many of whom remembered one of the Internet’s earliest and most prolific bits of misinformation (and the unintended consequences) associated with an ailing child’s request for cards:

Nonetheless, Jacob Thompson is a real child whose story is sadly true. He was not expected to live more than a month as of October 2017, and a flood of cards and gifts have by all accounts brightened his necessary hospital stay.

Jacob Thompson

c/o Maine Medical Center

22 Bramhall St.

Portland, ME 04102

My card goes in the mail today. I hope yours does as well

Archived