The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Rebuild 101

fanfor42

I hate creating threads. You put yourself in harms way to make a point. However, sometimes it is important to do so. Been a fan since the beginning. Sometimes you have to stand up and be accountable. I'm a season ticket holder. I am a big fan. I care about the team and its future. I have a excellent record of making good comments and getting positive reputation points.

There is a ton of negativity on these boards. Lots of blame. Lots of questions.

So what do the Canucks do?  I am going to offer the following. Simple. A list of who to keep over the next two years and who to get rid of:

Get rid of:

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Hansen, Gaunce, Granlund, Megna, Skille, Chaput, Edler, Biega, Miller.

Keep:

Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi, Rodin, Eriksson, Sutter, Virtanen, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Hutton, Stecher, Gudbranson, Tanev, Markstrom. Demko,.

Add first round 2017 pick and first round pick 2018 pick to the mix. That becomes a total of  17 guys out of a roster of 23.

From the guys that are being jettisoned there is a good chance to fill out the roster with intriguing picks and prospects.

Decent start by September 2018.

To clarify. I'm not advocating wholesale changes today. I'm just saying that by September 2018 the vets contracts will have expired and I'd like to see us move on and not resign them. By September 2018 I'd like to see Horvat as captain of  the team with some new prospects and picks in place.  

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

I hate creating threads. You put yourself in harms way to make a point. However, sometimes it is important to do so. Been a fan since the beginning. Sometimes you have to stand up and be accountable. I'm a season ticket holder. I am a big fan. I care about the team and its future. I have a excellent record of making good comments and getting positive reputation points.

There is a ton of negativity on these boards. Lots of blame. Lots of questions.

So what do the Canucks do?  I am going to offer the following. Simple. A list of who to keep over the next two years and who to get rid of:

Get rid of:

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Hansen, Gaunce, Granlund, Megna, Skille, Chaput, Edler, Biega, Miller.

Keep:

Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi, Rodin, Eriksson, Sutter, Virtanen, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Hutton, Stecher, Gudbranson, Tanev, Markstrom. Demko,.

Add first round 2017 pick and first round pick 2018 pick to the mix. That becomes a total of  17 guys out of a roster of 23.

From the guys that are being jettisoned there is a good chance to fill out the roster with intriguing picks and prospects.

Decent start by September 2018.

Thanks for FINALLY posting your plan Mr. Benning.

Now the question to be answered is: where do those guys you listed as keepers (and the two top picks in 2017 + 2018) get us to in the standings?  Are we going to get to the middle or higher?  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thanks for FINALLY posting your plan Mr. Benning.

Now the question to be answered is: where do those guys you listed as keepers (and the two top picks in 2017 + 2018) get us to in the standings?  Are we going to get to the middle or higher?  

This. It's all well and fine to identify players who could be contributors moving forward... But that team is garbage. You haven't presented any opinion on what you think the quality of the team will be.... "decent start" isn't "foundations of a cup winning team"... And if you said that, then I'd shred you for saying it... Because you'd be so far off the mark... The goal needs to be building a team that is capable of winning a cup, it's people like you who make posts like this that get the vitriol going on these boards... You either have no ability to evaluate talent, no ambition for the team, or are just a pure homer. Perhaps some combination of these... People on these boards have already forgotten just how good the 2011 Canucks were, they don't understand how good you have to be to lose in the Cup finals... Forget win... We are so far away.

10 minutes ago, Aircool said:

This. It's all well and fine to identify players who could be contributors moving forward... But that team is garbage. You haven't presented any opinion on what you think the quality of the team will be.... "decent start" isn't "foundations of a cup winning team"... And if you said that, then I'd shred you for saying it... Because you'd be so far off the mark... The goal needs to be building a team that is capable of winning a cup, it's people like you who make posts like this that get the vitriol going on these boards... You either have no ability to evaluate talent, no ambition for the team, or are just a pure homer. Perhaps some combination of these... People on these boards have already forgotten just how good the 2011 Canucks were, they don't understand how good you have to be to lose in the Cup finals... Forget win... We are so far away.

Sorry you failed reading comprehension. Try again. It's there for you. Maybe sound out the long words.  

10 minutes ago, Aircool said:

Gee thanks.  You hurt Alf's feelings.  You big meanie. :P

Brutal. 

Thats just not how you do it.  

You basically just said 'hey, let's do it like the Oilers did!'

you don't bring kids up in a situation like that.   

You need mentors to teach these kids how to be pros.  

Loser teams have kids like Hall and Kadri as the guy for rookies to look up to.  

11 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Brutal. 

Thats just not how you do it.  

You basically just said 'hey, let's do it like the Oilers did!'

you don't bring kids up in a situation like that.   

You need mentors to teach these kids how to be pros.  

Loser teams have kids like Hall and Kadri as the guy for rookies to look up to.  

They are doing the mentor thing now. I'm saying 2 years from now who should be here September 2018.  Please read with comprehension. 

I'd keep the Twins, Burr, Hansen and Tanev.. Even though I'm just angry across the board today.

No problem ditching the rest of those mentioned, but leadership is essential to development. Just look at how the lack of leadership worked out for TO and Edmonton.... almost a full generation of suck. That's a whole lot of suck.

Hall and RNH would be much better players had they not been rushed and unmentored, for example. IMHO, of course

I say we keep players like Burrows, Hansen, and the Sedins. They don't have to be 1st or 2nd line players, but all of these guys know how to win and they know what it takes to make it to the finals. A team like Edmonton has veterans on there team now, which is a big reason to why they are playing so well. In the past, they had no veteran leadership which was why they were stuck at the bottom of the league. (Yes, a once in a life-time player helps the out as well A LOT as well) Now they have Milan Lucic, and Andrew Ference, both were Stanley Cup Champions. Then to add to that they got Matt Hendricks, Mark Letestu, Patrick Maroon, and Benoit Pouliot. Oh! and Kassian (Just Kidding ;)) Young teams need that veteran leadership. I also think we should keep Granlund, he plays great especially with his aggressive fore-check, and he has a sniper of a shot. Yes, we need younger players, higher picks but trading away almost all our veterans isn't going to help. I understand where your coming from, I have no idea myself where this team is going.... but oh well. I'm in it for the long run.

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I'd keep the Twins, Burr, Hansen and Tanev.. Even though I'm just angry across the board today.

No problem ditching the rest of those mentioned, but leadership is essential to development. Just look at how the lack of leadership worked out for TO and Edmonton.... almost a full generation of suck. That's a whole lot of suck.

Hall and RNH would be much better players had they not been rushed and unmentored, for example. IMHO, of course

The problem is the Sedins and how until they move on the team will never turn the corner on or off the ice.

Burrows on a cheap contract and Hansen are the type of leaders you want your kids to learn from. All around players who contribute at both ends of the ice and work their asses off to earn what they get. 

The Sedins are offense only. And if they are being their predictable, pass only to each other selves they are easily rendered non factors 5 on 5 and on the PP. Until we start letting the kids have the opportunity to take more of the offensive reigns we will be doomed to repeat the last several years of no offensive creativity, no urgency to shoot the puck, and no heart to gut out tough times.

Note it is not all the Sedins. It is our management and coaches still believing that it's a good idea to build around the Sedins and hope they catch lightning in a bottle and regain their glory years.

Archived