The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Rebuild 101

fanfor42

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem is the Sedins and how until they move on the team will never turn the corner on or off the ice.

Burrows on a cheap contract and Hansen are the type of leaders you want your kids to learn from. All around players who contribute at both ends of the ice and work their asses off to earn what they get. 

The Sedins are offense only. And if they are being their predictable, pass only to each other selves they are easily rendered non factors 5 on 5 and on the PP. Until we start letting the kids have the opportunity to take more of the offensive reigns we will be doomed to repeat the last several years of no offensive creativity, no urgency to shoot the puck, and no heart to gut out tough times.

Note it is not all the Sedins. It is our management and coaches still believing that it's a good idea to build around the Sedins and hope they catch lightning in a bottle and regain their glory years.

Truth

I just have a hard time promoting "trade the twins"

Yes, their play is tired and predictable. Yes, they drag their butts to the bench on a change. Yes, I'd be fine if they were traded to a contender and sent great youngin's and picks our way.

But I'm not going to bang that drum, because I still love them and believe they're important. Even though they are either not trying as hard as they have in the past, or are just old and not playing as well as I'd expected.

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Truth

I just have a hard time promoting "trade the twins"

Yes, their play is tired and predictable. Yes, they drag their butts to the bench on a change. Yes, I'd be fine if they were traded to a contender and sent great youngin's and picks our way.

But I'm not going to bang that drum, because I still love them and believe they're important. Even though they are either not trying as hard as they have in the past, or are just old and not playing as well as I'd expected.

Thank you for your opinion. You have arrived at the crux of the issue. Trading the twins is crucial to change this team. They have been great but it's over and we need to see a new leadership group. 

September 2018 needs to be the start of a new team. The young guys like horvat need to create their own team after September 2018.

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Thank you for your opinion. You have arrived at the crux of the issue. Trading the twins is crucial to change this team. They have been great but it's over and we need to see a new leadership group. 

September 2018 needs to be the start of a new team. The young guys like horvat need to create their own team after September 2018.

Well, what do we have for succession, really?

I, for one, bo-lieve we have a future Selke calibre, 1A centerman...... but that's it.

Boeser, though promising is totally and completely unproven. Baer - love the strides he's taken, but no. Virtanen? We can all hope, sorry, we all hope. Eriksson? Maybe he can have a resurgence by 2018, but I doubt it.

And that's where we're at. Nobody to eat the minutes and score the points.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Well, what do we have for succession, really?

I, for one, bo-lieve we have a future Selke calibre, 1A centerman...... but that's it.

Boeser, though promising is totally and completely unproven. Baer - love the strides he's taken, but no. Virtanen? We can all hope, sorry, we all hope. Eriksson? Maybe he can have a resurgence by 2018, but I doubt it.

And that's where we're at. Nobody to eat the minutes and score the points.

Thank you. Re read my original post. 

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Thank you. Re read my original post. 

"A good chance". I get it, and I'm not fully opposed, I just have a hard time wrapping my head around a couple of things if the twins were to depart.

Like- if you think we suck now....? Gulp. We could actually be worse.

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

"A good chance". I get it, and I'm not fully opposed, I just have a hard time wrapping my head around a couple of things if the twins were to depart.

Like- if you think we suck now....? Gulp. We could actually be worse.

Yup. Might be. However by September 2018 we need to launch the new leadership and new core. Can't have 40 year olds  running the show. Will be exciting to see where we go with the new guys in charge.  Won't be the same. That's good. 

On 12/26/2016 at 7:36 PM, fanfor42 said:

Sorry you failed reading comprehension. Try again. It's there for you. Maybe sound out the long words.  

Haha... You are such a joke. People have disagreed with you, because your ideas aren't very good, and you attribute it to reading comprehension. Now it's one thing if people incorrectly disagree with you, but to blame it on reading comprehension, when you make ZERO points... LOL.... What a joke! Your entire post can be summarized in one sentence. Trade old guys, magically get 10x better, win cup. Gotcha!

Just now, fanfor42 said:

Yup. Might be. However by September 2018 we need to launch the new leadership and new core. Can't have 40 year olds  running the show. Will be exciting to see where we go with the new guys in charge.  Won't be the same. That's good. 

I often find myself reluctant to change, but always excited and invigorated once it's initiated. So yes, it would be good, but I really hate losing and that's all it is.

Sure, we suck really badly, most games are almost unwatchable. Would losing the twins really make that much of a difference? Probably. 

Fine JB. Pull the trigger.

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I often find myself reluctant to change, but always excited and invigorated once it's initiated. So yes, it would be good, but I really hate losing and that's all it is.

Sure, we suck really badly, most games are almost unwatchable. Would losing the twins really make that much of a difference? Probably. 

While the twins are still here it's still their team. Obviously any young guy walks in the dressing room and they are there it's still  their team.

September 2018. Gonna be a new team new leadership group.  Lots of positive vibes.  Looking forward to that. 

11 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Your assuming that Benning doesn't keep them and resigns them to a 5 year, 40 million dollar contract...lol

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Get rid of:

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Hansen, Gaunce, Granlund, Megna, Skille, Chaput, Edler, Biega, Miller.

Keep:

Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi, Rodin, Eriksson, Sutter, Virtanen, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Hutton, Stecher, Gudbranson, Tanev, Markstrom. Demko,.

Add first round 2017 pick and first round pick 2018 pick to the mix. That becomes a total of  17 guys out of a roster of 23.

From the guys that are being jettisoned there is a good chance to fill out the roster with intriguing picks and prospects.

Decent start by September 2018.

I gave you a plus, because I feel your pain, fanfor42

I understand that you want all gone, but some would not be here if we didn't have injuries, and you missed a couple.......

I get it....2018

So move the Sedin's either together or seperately..................a first and a prospect at the 2018 Trade Deadline, probably a 20 to 26 OA, and a A prospect......"IF" they pick up their socks a little, if they continue to decline .......zip, maybe a couple of 2nds.........this is in 14 months time "IF" it happens at all......I only wish!

Edler should be moved at this TDL, for a mid-late 1st, and a 3rd.....a big minute muncher, but not much for points.....maybe it's who he is playing with..........still has decent rep around the league

I'd keep Granlund and Burrows, both are decent 3rd liners, and Burrows can do alot a small things well, IMO......in 2 years, maybe not? But Granlund is serviceable

I'd move Hansen, if the return was good, otherwise I keep him as a mentor.........it is his drive that shows to me.........I think any contending team would love him.....but again the return would have to be very good for him....That is a subjective comment.....might have to package him to get a better return

I would move Miller for a 2nd or 3rd this year....if he can get that much?????? I sure would not resign him after this year

And the one I would hate to do, but think it is a smart move, because he gets injured so much.....is Tanev.........great value, and a big risk, but his return would be great, for just about any team looking to squeak into the playoffs to a contender........he just keeps getting injured, I think because of his size, but when he is healthy he is awesome. I just think if he keeps on getting hit the way he does, he may not last.......it scares me! His value is high this year

But in saying all this, maybe one or two moves happen......the rest just Pie in the sky..........and that's coming from the original "Mr. Pie in the Sky"

Oh yes, and you missed Sbisa and Dorsett, and puke...... Larsen

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I gave you a plus, because I feel your pain, fanfor42

I understand that you want all gone, but some would not be here if we didn't have injuries, and you missed a couple.......

I get it....2018

So move the Sedin's either together or seperately..................a first and a prospect at the 2018 Trade Deadline, probably a 20 to 26 OA, and a A prospect......"IF" they pick up their socks a little, if they continue to decline .......zip, maybe a couple of 2nds.........this is in 14 months time "IF" it happens at all......I only wish!

Edler should be moved at this TDL, for a mid-late 1st, and a 3rd.....a big minute muncher, but not much for points.....maybe it's who he is playing with..........still has decent rep around the league

I'd keep Granlund and Burrows, both are decent 3rd liners, and Burrows can do alot a small things well, IMO......in 2 years, maybe not? But Granlund is serviceable

I'd move Hansen, if the return was good, otherwise I keep him as a mentor.........it is his drive that shows to me.........I think any contending team would love him.....but again the return would have to be very good for him....That is a subjective comment.....might have to package him to get a better return

I would move Miller for a 2nd or 3rd this year....if he can get that much?????? I sure would not resign him after this year

And the one I would hate to do, but think it is a smart move, because he gets injured so much.....is Tanev.........great value, and a big risk, but his return would be great, for just about any team looking to squeak into the playoffs to a contender........he just keeps getting injured, I think because of his size, but when he is healthy he is awesome. I just think if he keeps on getting hit the way he does, he may not last.......it scares me! His value is high this year

But in saying all this, maybe one or two moves happen......the rest just Pie in the sky..........and that's coming from the original "Mr. Pie in the Sky"

Oh yes, and you missed Sbisa and Dorsett, and puke...... Larsen

Jan, you just have to get receiving much value for the expiring contracts out of your head, you'll enjoy the rebuild much more.  NMC and NTC's are just that, no trades or movement.  Unless any vet goes up to Benning and asks for a trade, it won't happen.  We're definitely not going to see an Garrison type scenarios anymore.  Slight possibility of a Bieksa-like scenario if a team comes sniffing around, but I wouldn't hold your breath, especially during the season.  These guys are on the Canucks until their contracts expire, for better and for worse.  (and it could be worse...much worse)

Archived