The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I hope the management see this post

Nucks4Live

15 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I think that Jim Benning and company know they can't compete with the likes of Connor McDavid and company skill wise

I think what they are doing is trying to assemble a team of highly responsible defensive forwards and roll 4 strong lines. Call them 2a and 2 b    3a and 3b. 

A team capable of shutting down a high powered offense.  You see pretty much every guy no matter who he is being preached defense first. Take Lou Erikson for eg.   Big  upgrade from vrbata is that he can also play d. 

Notice how strong our future is in goal. How he has changed the chemistry on defense in two years.  

He's building this team (or trying to)to keep the puck out of his own net because he knows he will not outscore the competition 

This will be the new Jersey Devils vs oilers 

I read the ops post in its entirety and read it for what it was. And not some kind of homework assignment that needs to be graded.this op is one of us that just has an opinion. As to this post about about building a team of two way forwards is a fair coment but how is it we can give up 6 goals in the third period. Coaching is the problem. Start with no timeout being called.and to not coach this team to play with some grit and actually take the body instead of just stick checking and chasing the puck.we will always be vulnerable to these combacks if we continue to be a soft team.and this is on the coach period.

24 minutes ago, niknuk85 said:

I read the ops post in its entirety and read it for what it was. And not some kind of homework assignment that needs to be graded.this op is one of us that just has an opinion. As to this post about about building a team of two way forwards is a fair coment but how is it we can give up 6 goals in the third period. Coaching is the problem. Start with no timeout being called.and to not coach this team to play with some grit and actually take the body instead of just stick checking and chasing the puck.we will always be vulnerable to these combacks if we continue to be a soft team.and this is on the coach period.

oh really

but for the coach (and his failure to call a time out) this team would be playoff bound?

interesting assessment

not many on here would agree with you

even if they are not wd supporters

the problem is ... aging players,.. lack of talented and nhl ready replacement players

the team is in a retool / rebuild

it is not likely to make the playoffs

whether wd is the coach or someone else is the coach

13 hours ago, DSVII said:

If management ever took notes from a fan message board, then they deserve to get fired. 

I know I'd be taking notes.

- possibility of harming self/others?

- pat down this poster before allowing him to get within 50 meters of the President

- Ponyboy says he's coming to tonight's game (order extra Shocktop)

- It's Apollo. Might crush have crushing handshakes. (also, probable hugger)_

etc.

Hahaha you must be delusional if you think management will see your post. We are all Canucks fans here but if your telling management what to do they'll most likely not follow it. They will tend to carry on with the plan that they have in place. We are going nowhere this season and next season is probably the season we will start making strides with Benning picks starting to come in. We had one of the worst prospects pool when he took over and ever since he's been here, he has done nothing but add more talented prospects into our pool to make it look respectable again. We will probably start being competitive within a couple years. Patience is key as fans and something all fans of any team have to endure at some point. 

6 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not my words (hence the quotes....) but something a poster said on another board that speculates what Benning might say:

Hey man, where did your Benning quote come from?  A full link to the article or discussion would be a good add to this thread...

I would think Management would read this site..

To figure who the a.  kissers are in their organization. You know the kind of employee that nods and agrees to everything the boss says....

You see them posting on here as well  saying who wonderful JB is .... What a great job JB is doing...   How wonderful Willy is behind the bench... 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

there is no link surfer - it's bullcrap

Actually I didn't make it all up (but I'm flattered that you think I'm creative enough to have done that).

I figured it was against the rules to link another board - hence why I didn't link it (it's on the Hfboards under the Canucks management thread discussion; be fair warned though - there's TONS of posters there that have a unfairly high anti-current management bias to the point it makes alot of discussions there kind of pointless - not that I'm a paragon of objectivity myself LOL).  That, and a fair bit of snobbery from them regarding THIS site.

5 hours ago, niknuk85 said:

I said what they are trying to do not what they have done. 

Our top line or 2/3 rds of it aren't contributing enough in the capacity I'm speaking of  . Should a top line every be a negative?  Minus 17 between the twins.  Once players like the twins (whom I love) aren't scoring more than they are letting in then that works against everything I said.  We have a young defense and our two most experienced dmen have been out. Obviously the six goals against by carolina seems to contradict. But I believe there is still to much work to do on this team for what I am saying to be obvious. But I stand by my post in that jb and tl are trying to design a team that in 2 or 3 more years can counter an offensive powerhouse like Edmonton is going to be. They can't deal with them on a skill level. As good as boeser looks do you really think he can compete with the likes of McDavid?  Or anyone else in our system with there forward youth. No, but the Horvath type players just may be able to deal with them. If im jb I'm aiming at building a team that can deal with the Edmonton,  not the LA's  .

That's just what it looks like to me. And that's whether Willie is the right coach or not. If Willie doesn't last? Look for another strongly defensive minded coach to take over.  Also i would point to the signing of Doug Jarvis to add to my argument . 

9 hours ago, riffraff said:

I can see your point especially as I normally do not enjoy anything coconut related.

it must come down to individual recipe.  For example my moms were deadly and had very minimal coconut which would be overwhelmed by the extra chocolate topping.

one of my neighbours became aware of my penchant for this treat.  (Her daughter minds my kids at times).  Anyway, for the last two Christmas she has hooked me up with at least three dozen bars.  Her recipe, (with no input from me) involves minimal coconut as well.

part of the enjoyment for me is I usually ingest in two bites tops.

but I only really eat them at this time of year.  I maybe have one during the rest.

what is your favourite holiday baked good sans 'erb? 

I have a sentimental attachment to shortbread with jam and peanut brittle.

I'm partial to savory over sweet, not much for rich either. I'm so weird, I don't even really like cheesecake.

21 hours ago, riffraff said:

South Nanaimo is the Surrey of the island and the north is all traffic lights and a couple strip malls.

I despise that town, used to have relatives there and an ex-coworker so I went there a lot, sometimes went all the way up to Campbell River.

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hey man, where did your Benning quote come from?  A full link to the article or discussion would be a good add to this thread...

It was just an HFBoards poster having some fun with a Benning quote from last season (27 February 2016).

Here's the original, unedited quote:

“It looks like we’re not going to make the playoffs this year,” Vancouver Canucks general manager Jim Benning said during a break in trade discussions this week. “But in my heart, I really believe if we’d had Brandon Sutter the whole year and Alex Edler didn’t get hurt, we’d be right there. We’re four wins out from being in the playoffs.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/iain+macintyre+canucks+looking+reload+pulling+trigger/11747718/story.html

One HFBoards user posted the original quote, some snark followed, leading to HFBoards user "Cancuks" posting this:

Two months from today ...

Originally Posted by 
“It looks like we’re not going to make the playoffs this year,” Vancouver Canucks general manager Jim Benning said during a break in trade discussions this week. “But in my heart, I really believe if we’d had Derek Dorsett the whole year and Eric Gudbranson didn’t get hurt, we’d be right there. We’re fifteen wins out from being in the playoffs.”

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2163985&page=13

On 12/27/2016 at 6:10 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

To my eyes > we play hard eight out of ten games. In the pro ranks you'll have some stinkers with 3 games in 4 nights, the 3rd a back to back after traveling. As long as thats the case I'm not going to hang the coach.  Not that I think he's perfect.

We dump and chase with forwards like Gaunce, Megna, Burrows, Skille & we had Dorsett.  If you had these forwards that is what you would ask them to do as coach as well? I would! But they also then go in and bang defenders retrieving pucks. Get in on the fore-check. Hound the outlet. And steal pucks. Then go to the net. They play hard and battle. All things considered I'm happy. 

Granlund Eriksson & Sutter? They will carry it in. Even do a decent job of possession.  So they dont lose that many shifts. Granlund just is not a slick enough guy at evading anyone attacking him when he has the puck.  And then distributing to wings who have proven elsewhere of being able to bury feeds by going to the slot & the front of the net.  In short, Granlund needs to get better to pivot a line that often gets the O'zone starts when the Sedin's are not available.  In his current development; I would be very excited if he was our 4th line center. I also think he will play another 3 or 4 years, maybe a full career in the NHL. He's made it. We may not lose shifts, but we don't score a ton either. Granlund playing where he is, well, that is a sign we're making do.

And how would we feel about that line taking the key draws against, say, Seguin & Benn?  Crosby?  Getzlaf & Perry?  Sutter, Loui as well are acceptable defensively. But there is not the size, nor the sheer tenacity in their game, ideally, to load them against the heaviest match up's. So the killer B's play double duty.  

Bo, Burrows and Baertschi? Burrows is showing them how to play tenacious. And still has enough skill to stop on a dime, and control plays with the puck.  Baer is under-rated, and makes a LOT of guys pressuring him miss.  He's our best possession guy.  And Bo is the best on our team at driving up ice on the break-out.  Driving to the net as well. Knocking guys off the puck in our end. They all back check. And give our (average skilled) D a reasonably easy outlet to start that break.  

And of course no one, can, or should try and control play like the Twins. Plus they're declining.  And that leads to questions as to when and how to deploy them.  Torts got fired trying to force managements hand.  He routinely threw them out in defensive assignments over their head. But what is left if they are also not dominant in the offensive end? As they were with AV...

So add that all up! The conclusion you should draw is that Willie appears not to have a plan.  But in reality, he has to have a very different plan for each line. I won't get in to it. But for each defensive pair as well.   

Willie is putting a lot together.  I don't blame him.  I agree with Linden that putting together a sense of structure amidst this suggests he is actually doing a good job.

Who do I blame?  Benning?  No.  Father time...

We're somewhere between 1/3rd and 2/3rd through a rebuild.  My expectations are simply where they should be.

As long as we're competitive & play hard 80% of the time; I'm happy.  It does not bother me whether we win or lose at the moment!

At the trade, Benning called Sutter a matchup centre and although he did not compare him directly to Bergeron or Toews - he was the guys he referenced when talking about the type of role Sutter would fill.  He talked of matching up against Getzlaf and Kopitar.  It's an interesting take as it would suggest that they might have revised their assessment. 

I actually thought it was more because WD wanted Horvat to concentrate on defence this season and not worry about points.  He says he sees Horvat as someone that can shutdown the top scoring lines in the league, so by default the Granlund/Sutter line takes the offensive role.

It does contradict a bit the scoring expectations set on Baertschi - he's more about creating a play in the o-zone and he hasn't been a PP regular.  Linden just listed his struggles to score as a reason for their poor standings - Eriksson's slow start and injuries were the other reasons.  

I had the feeling that they were starting to balance the defensive assignments a bit more equitably between the two lines compared to the start of the season where the Horvat line barely had offensive opportunities.   With Hansen injured again that might change.

Btw WD said that it was fortuitous that he tried Burrows with Baer-Horvat - he said it wasn't intuition and that he had tried 30 different combinations before that one (actually only Virtanen, Skille and Dorsett). 

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It was just an HFBoards poster having some fun with a Benning quote from last season (27 February 2016).

Here's the original, unedited quote:

“It looks like we’re not going to make the playoffs this year,” Vancouver Canucks general manager Jim Benning said during a break in trade discussions this week. “But in my heart, I really believe if we’d had Brandon Sutter the whole year and Alex Edler didn’t get hurt, we’d be right there. We’re four wins out from being in the playoffs.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/iain+macintyre+canucks+looking+reload+pulling+trigger/11747718/story.html

One HFBoards user posted the original quote, some snark followed, leading to HFBoards user "Cancuks" posting this:

Is JB drinking his own blue and green Koolaide?  My God we are terrible, and have NO ELITE TALENT. 

Archived