Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 cup fresh lime juice

1/2 cup black beans, drained

2 cups water

1 cups Jasmine rice

1 handful chopped cilantro

Instructions:
Mix together two cups of water, 1 tablespoon olive oil and one cup of jasmine rice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover allowing the rice to cook for about 20 minutes. 

Once the rice has cooked for almost 10 to 15 minutes and the water has evaporated stir in the lime juice, the black beans and cilantro.

Finish cooking until the rice is completely cooked and the beans are warm, about 5 minutes more. Serve. 

Caramelized Butternut Squash

Ingredients:
2 medium butternut squash (4 to 5 pounds total)

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Cinnamon (it's a Shift-4 thing)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off and discard the ends of each butternut squash. Peel the squash, cut them in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into 1 1/4 to 1 1/2-inch cubes and place them on a baking sheet. Add the melted butter, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. With clean hands, toss all the ingredients together and spread in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 45 to 55 minutes, until the squash is tender and the glaze begins to caramelize. While roasting, turn the squash a few times with a spatula, to be sure it browns evenly. Taste for seasonings and serve hot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Black bean jasmine rice

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 cup fresh lime juice

1/2 cup black beans, drained

2 cups water

1 cups Jasmine rice

1 handful chopped cilantro

Instructions:
Mix together two cups of water, 1 tablespoon olive oil and one cup of jasmine rice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover allowing the rice to cook for about 20 minutes. 

Once the rice has cooked for almost 10 to 15 minutes and the water has evaporated stir in the lime juice, the black beans and cilantro.

Finish cooking until the rice is completely cooked and the beans are warm, about 5 minutes more. Serve. 

Caramelized Butternut Squash

Ingredients:
2 medium butternut squash (4 to 5 pounds total)

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Cinnamon (it's a Shift-4 thing)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off and discard the ends of each butternut squash. Peel the squash, cut them in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into 1 1/4 to 1 1/2-inch cubes and place them on a baking sheet. Add the melted butter, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. With clean hands, toss all the ingredients together and spread in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 45 to 55 minutes, until the squash is tender and the glaze begins to caramelize. While roasting, turn the squash a few times with a spatula, to be sure it browns evenly. Taste for seasonings and serve hot. 

Going to make this weekend. Anything with cilantro is automatically a 10.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Smoked a pork shoulder on the ole' Webber Kettle Grill.  Made the rub myself.  Salt, brown sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.  Left it on for about an hour before I threw it on the grill at approximately 275°F (sorry, us yanks use Farenheit lol.)  Smoked for about 9 hours in applewood.  Made perfect for pulled pork.  Hommade coleslaw to throw on top.  Homemade fries with malt vinegar on the side.  10 out of 10.  Sorry for the paper plate.  I was cooking for a crowd. 

20181231_203030.jpg

20181231_202225.jpg

20181231_203719.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
22 hours ago, Bocivus said:

Smoked a pork shoulder on the ole' Webber Kettle Grill.  Made the rub myself.  Salt, brown sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.  Left it on for about an hour before I threw it on the grill at approximately 275°F (sorry, us yanks use Farenheit lol.)  Smoked for about 9 hours in applewood.  Made perfect for pulled pork.  Hommade coleslaw to throw on top.  Homemade fries with malt vinegar on the side.  10 out of 10.  Sorry for the paper plate.  I was cooking for a crowd. 

It's okay most recipes here use only °F, my oven is only in °F. :)

• Upvote 1
On 12/31/2018 at 6:00 PM, Bocivus said:

20181231_203030.jpg

20181231_202225.jpg

20181231_203719.jpg

Looks deadly. Your dry rub sounds pretty similar to mine, except I add a tsp of cumin and black pepper, however brown sugar and sea salt account for about 80% it.

Served with a sweet BBQ sauce, or did you go smokey?

13 hours ago, luckylager said:

Looks deadly. Your dry rub sounds pretty similar to mine, except I add a tsp of cumin and black pepper, however brown sugar and sea salt account for about 80% it.

Served with a sweet BBQ sauce, or did you go smokey?

I just kept it smoky.  With that slaw on top it was perfect.  I added some Carolina type bbq sauce when I had leftovers though.   I usually go for the more vinegary type bbq sauces but I do like a sweeter one from time to time as well.

Oh, and I did add black pepper to the rub.  I just forgot to list it. 

Never thought about adding cumin.  Might try that next time.  

• Cheers 1

I made some country style pork ribs last night. Slow cooked in the oven in a roasting pan. Comes out delicious every time. The wife is always meh with fattier cuts of meat and tries to throw away meat that is hiding in the fat but I stop this act of treason before she is able to make it to the garbage.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
On 1/7/2019 at 7:38 PM, Monty said:

So, here are mine :lol: 

8452E23D-6D99-4317-82DC-E28D06572EF5.jpeg

Don’t look nearly as good. But they taste great.

Just going to add to this.

1. I used Cake Flour, as Pao Flour wasn’t available in my area. Apparently that helps a little, but mostly the colouring. But if you don’t have Pao Flour, apparently Cake Flour is the best alternative.

2. The recipe I used yields 12 Bao’s. Now, I don’t eat a lot of Chinese food, because MB doesn’t have terrific restaurants in my area, only one in Winnipeg that serves traditional Chinese food, rather than the “take out” garbage we’re accustomed to. However, my understanding is that Bao’s are traditionally a morning/lunch food, with tea. I ate one this morning, along with my coffee, and it was enough to fill me with energy for the morning. Better as a breakfast food by itself than with dinner.

3. Keeps well in the fridge. Been two days, and I’m still eating them. 25 seconds in the microwave and they taste very similar to when freshly steamed. Great leftovers.

All in all, they take about 2 hours(ish) to make, as you need about an hour for the dough. So they do take time. And if you have a family, you likely won’t want to make these right after work for dinner. However, make them on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon to have in the fridge for the next week is really smart. 

10/10. Will make again.

• Cheers 1

Made Lasagna for the 3rd time ever, finally tasted great but the lasagna sheets were a little too firm(needed a knife).  First time I got my cheeses mixed up and put blue cheese in it instead of Ricotta, it was so awful I avoided Italian for years, no lie.  Second time was a month ago, got the cheeses right this time but used too much Italian sausage.  This time I used spinach pesto and marinara sauce and just extra lean ground beef, no sausage, tasted great!  Probably my second favorite meal of all time, first being prime rib. 

Not very cost friendly:

$14 for 2x extra lean ground beef

$6 shredded cheese pack

$3 Ricotta cheese

$8 for 2x lasagna sheets

$3 Spinach Pesto

$3 Marinara

$3 Disposable baking pan

Mind you some of this stuff got reused, going to make it again for Superbowl Sunday and see if anyone else enjoys it as much as I do. Probably could save some coin buying the dry sheets and boiling them myself. 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

First time I got my cheeses mixed up and put blue cheese in it instead of Ricotta

:lol: 

I love Blue Cheese, but damn! That’ll definitely ruin lasagna for me :lol: 

11 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

This time I used spinach pesto and marinara sauce and just extra lean ground beef,

There you go! Lasagna was my favourite dinner growing up. My mom always made it for my birthday (I always requested it).

Today, I don’t have it too often (once or twice a year). But I will flat out refuse to eat it if there is no spinach in it. Actually did last summer when I saw my in-laws. They were fine, though, as it was a huge pot-lock, so it’s not as if I didn’t eat anything. But I wasn’t going to eat a bastardized version :lol: 

• Haha 1