The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's on tonight's menu?

Rate this topic

riffraff

After making pasta from scratch for over 2 months now, I’ve found out what works best for quality pasta.

First, I quickly found out the best measurements for the dough. This took no time at all (maybe 1 hour of YouTube videos). There’s a lot of people who have their own measurements, but I find that 300 grams of flour, 2 tsp of kosher salt, and then 5 eggs (2 whole, 3 yokes) and then add water to the eggs to add up to 185 grams makes the best pasta dough. Also, if you have a  food processor, that will save the time (10 minutes) of kneading by hand. Once you’ve combined ingredients in food processor, and you’ll need to add 1-2 tbsp of additional water to the mixing process, knead by hand for about a minute and then wrap in Saran Wrap for 30 minutes).

2. Depending on the pasta noodles you make (get a pasta machine - I do mine with a hand crank machine), you can immediately throw into the water after cutting (Spaghetti, Pappardelle, etc). However, if you are doing some with more shape (ie: bow tie pasta), the best noodle quality takes anywhere between 4 hours to 24 hours to get a better tasting noodle. They hold their shape better, are slightly chewier, and because they hold their shape better, they hold the sauce better.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Grocery delivery comes tomorrow, so we were down to odds and ends.

Found some whipping cream in the back of the fridge. Expired three weeks ago, but tasted fine. Had a jar of seasoned oil left over from some sundried tomatoes. A container of my home made soup stock. Frozen spinach. Found frozen prawns and scallops in the bottom of the freezer (quick thawed in some water). A few ends of green onions. A bit of Italian parsley that was mostly bad but picked through and found some green parts. Some shrivelled up cherry tomatoes. Dry rotini. Dry herbs. And of course, a wedge of proper parmigiano reggiano (we’re not savages).

Made this:

EB2C5361-F0D2-48F5-A961-BD2E984DA5E4.thumb.jpeg.d45d2d7c04ba0a4b38bacdbc07868e83.jpeg

I guess it’s prawn and scallop rotini in a spinach and tomato cream sauce.

Whatever it was, it was a hit with my family.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Been craving some good ol fashion fish n chips for over a month now and just this afternoon my neighbour dropped off a nice fillet of fresh ling cod..

So I took the plunge and made a beer battered fish n chip feast for my first time. 

I actually knocked that $&!# outta the park! Super stoked, even though it was a relatively easy cook, the timing was difficult because I could only deep fry two pieces at a time and did homefries in the oven. Pulled off a deadly homemade tartar sauce too.

One piece remains...

20200428_193337.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Whenever it’s Mother’s Day or birthday, always make it a weekend thing for my wife.

Yesterday I made the Yaki Udon noodles. Today for dinner she gets her favourite breakfast for dinner, Eggs Benedict. Tomorrow she gets my pasta from scratch.

Also spent time with my daughter arranging flowers and making a card for her. 

• Like 1

Wow, @Monty, you’re putting the rest of us husbands to shame!

I did all the cooking today too, but I’m usually the cook in our house. :lol:

For breakfast, it was letting my wife sleep in, and then greeted her with a coffee and biscotti when she got up.

Lunch was homemade burgers. No easy task, as they were gluten free (wife has celiac), so there’s a whole process for making that gluten free bun taste decent (pro tip: lightly steamed first and then pan toasted with some butter).

Dinner was roast chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, and lots of veggies.

And gluten free chocolate cake for dessert.

EDIT: Usually our Mother’s Day dinner is more exotic, as we send the kids off to grandparents in the afternoon on Sundays, but quarantine meant that two seven year olds were eating too, so the meals have been a little more family friendly today.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Tonight for the wife’s “actual” birthday (always make it a 3 day affair), will be making Pad Thai, and then heading to a friends house for a bonfire (assuming kid gets a nap in this afternoon). 

Maybe roast more weanies.

• Upvote 1

My son's been in lockdown since the beginning of March (has asthma and has had pneumonia twice in the recent past).  He and his wife order their groceries from SPUD, then create masterpieces and send pictures to me.  Usually after I've had cheese and crackers for dinner...it's torture.  Parental abuse.

This was yesterday's fire roasted tomato, parsley, feta, egg breakfast casserole.

image.png

• Like 2