The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's on tonight's menu?

Rate this topic

riffraff

16 minutes ago, brilac said:

Thanks, I have a set of them.  That sounds great with the scallops, steak, and caesar salad! Hope you take a picture and post it in here. 

was afk, i already ate it lol next time though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I was today years old when I learned that the original Caesar salad was made with Grana Padano and not Parmigiano-Reggiano!

Why didn’t I know this before?

Anyway, my wedge of Parmigiano was getting down to the rind, so used the newly bought wedge of Grana Padano instead and it was very good in tonight’s salad. 

I might just keep making Caesar salad this way.

I do use Grana Padano a lot, for all types of other dishes (including salads), just have always put Parmigiano-Reggiano in my Caesar salad, and didn’t realize it wasn’t actually the “authentic” way (well, at least “authentic” for a salad that’s a Mexican invention with a “Roman” name that uses Italian cheese).

Anyway, I’m sure this is pretty boring, and probably a lot of you already knew this. Just not me, until today.

But I can’t feel too bad, since I was raised on this stuff:

DFA615E9-701D-4A43-9C1C-B9795100E82B.thumb.jpeg.8ddda1490d505f43cf258e7ae22e4d43.jpeg

At least I’m breaking the cycle of culinary abuse, and feeding my kids real cheeses, even if I’m not always using them as “correctly” as I thought. ;) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2

Also, does anyone else think that red kidney beans are kind of overrated?

Made chilli tonight and used the white kidney (cannellini) beans, and also threw in some black beans, instead of using the standard red kidney beans. Tasted so much better!

I’ve made white chilli before, like with a light sauce and chicken, have made vegan mixed bean chilli (with several types of beans), and I make a good black bean chilli. But always put those red beans in standard beef chilli (unless I’m making it Texas style, of course). 

Tonight, just realized none of us really like those red kidney beans (at least when they’re in chilli). Something about the skins and texture just hit different, especially compared to the white cannellini beans. Wife and kids agreed that tonight’s chilli was really good, especially because of the beans, and compared to the last batch using the usual red kidney beans.

Of course, appearance wise, white and black beans in a red meat sauce doesn’t have that same deep monochromatic colour, like you get with a traditional chilli, but I can live with that. 

(I’m sure there are people in Texas reaching for their shotguns, just with all this bean talk around chilli.)

Anyway, looks like from now on, at our house, it’s gonna be Grana Padano in our Caesar salads and white kidney/cannellini beans in our chilli.

I guess I’ll save those red kidney beans for when I make red beans and rice.

Is there anything else red kidney beans are good for? I have a bunch (canned and dry) in the pantry that I’m gonna have to use up eventually.

• Thanks 1

Tonight was pizza delivery. DoorDash sent us a 50% off coupon, so figured “why not?”

Put in the order, and keep getting notifications that they’re busy, delivery is delayed.

Fine, it’s Saturday night, and hockey’s on. Makes sense they’re busy.

Then, notifications start saying that they can’t match a delivery person. 

I still figure they’re just busy. Gave a good tip, so I doubt their drivers are refusing the order (they apparently will refuse, sometimes, if their cut doesn’t make it worthwhile, but I always tip well, so it’s never happened).

But it’s taking too long and the kids are starting to gnaw on the furniture.

So finally, go on Twitter and see that people all over North America are having same problem!

DoorDash is having issues, continent-wide.

Try to cancel order. But can’t even open the app now. Can’t open in browser either.

Seems that the DoorDash system has completely crashed.

Call the restaurant, and they’re like, “yeah, your food has been ready for a while but nobody picked it up.”

So, I ask if I can just come get it. Which they agree to. It’s paid for anyway.

Kids are pretty much insane because they’re an hour past dinner time and have been waiting (and it’s pizza so they were extra excited and now they’re extra crazy).

But I finally get back with the food, get mobbed at the door, feed the raging beasts, and finally there’s peace.

DoorDash is still crashed. Can’t get a refund (yet).

I’ll deal with them tomorrow.

EDIT: Good news, after fifth login attempt, system opened and they’ve issued a full refund on that order.

So free pizza tonight. Just a little cold (actually not too bad because the restaurant kept it warm for us).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

Having nachos consisting of purple tortilla chips, cheese, purple potatoes, and sprinkled with pepper with a glass of champagne.  I didn’t realize it was purple with purple (potatoes and tortilla chips) until I was finished making it.

BCACCC6C-74DA-4DA2-8968-C504B6DF049A.thumb.jpeg.97619151d729237204534feb2826f0fd.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

As a guy with type II diabetes, I really hope you work out a lot. You seem to eat a lot of dessert. 

I've been walking.  I weighed myself yesterday and I lost a pound this week. I love dessert and champagne.  I was thinking the other day while walking that I'm just naturally skinny, but I lost weight during this past year from not eating at the restaurants and not drinking many glasses of wine or champagne at the restaurants. 

Edited by brilac
  • Cheers 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Having a glass of cranberry sparkling wine.  I thought it was cranberry wine when I looked at the bottle on Saturday at the grocery store.  I passed on it, but since then, I was really thinking about the cranberry wine.  So today during the Habs game, after TBL scored, I turned off the TV and went to the grocery store, and there it was, so I picked up a bottle.  When I got home, I noticed it was cranberry sparkling wine, like champagne, so I really like it. :wub: So it's a nice way to brighten up the evening considering the game... :mad:

On another note, did you know that I still get asked for ID to purchase alcohol?!  I'm older than most people think. 

Edited by brilac
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 8:53 PM, brilac said:

Having a glass of cranberry sparkling wine.  I thought it was cranberry wine when I looked at the bottle on Saturday at the grocery store.  I passed on it, but since then, I was really thinking about the cranberry wine.  So today during the Habs game, after TBL scored, I turned off the TV and went to the grocery store, and there it was, so I picked up a bottle.  When I got home, I noticed it was cranberry sparkling wine, like champagne, so I really like it. :wub: So it's a nice way to brighten up the evening considering the game... :mad:

On another note, did you know that I still get asked for ID to purchase alcohol?!  I'm older than most people think. 

I have a blueberry/cranberry farm just up the road from me....they make fantastic wine (I've just discovered).  We have some of the best berries going here...I am so happy that we have a local farm/winery to support.  I knew they sold blueberry wine...just found out they also have cranberry.

Speaking of local berries...this morning's breakfast on the go:  blueberries, banana, strawberries, nonfat plain yogurt, walnuts, organic maple syrup.  So damn good...feels more like dessert than breakfast.

image.png

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Getting in on some cookie butter action and coffee of course!  

George looks like she enjoyed her meal. And the rug folded in the background, I spilled coffee… The handle is broken off the mug and it was extremely hot when trying to carry it from the kitchen to the living room.

10D615C0-36EA-416D-A4C9-2EDD59182206.thumb.jpeg.1ba29d7e5effc7c89c4ecf8f7df471f6.jpeg