The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sell me on the 2016-2017 Canucks

Zhukini

I'm not saying sell me on them as a believer that they will make the playoffs, or on the fact that they'll get a high pick and hopefully have a much better next few years.

I'm asking what  your best reasons would be to invest three hours every other evening on this years Canucks. 

I've watched this team religiously since Matt Cooke scored with 2 seconds left versus the wild, and let me confirm that I'm not switching allegiances, but 

with grad school and so many other activities I want to do, I don't want to stare at a screen until 9:45 only to be frustrated with the entertainment value, and if I had to 

pick between watching the Blackhawks play the Penguins, or the Canucks play the Avalanche on a Saturday, it's going to be the first option, even if I don't care who wins. 

This years team is just so Vanilla, and it has nothing to do with wins or losses, or the defensive game that we play. Hell when Ronalds Kenins was going, he was a reason to tune in. 

This year though, watching Henrik Sedin pass the puck behind the net, down a goal with 2 seconds left, is enough for me not to watch the next game.

I still watch and attend the games and always will, the number of games is just decreasing from 80 to 70 to probably 60 this year, but I'm a hockey fan first,

and the first round of the playoffs is something I will MAKE time for, even when the Canucks aren't playing. 

I understand that a lot of you feel the need to watch simply because feel like you have to, and that is totally respectable, I'm just curious as to how you would sell me,

or anyone else on this years team. 

Lol hard to sell a team to someone when management sells a team to its fans under the premise that we will make the playoffs, or throwing away mad money at aging vets that cannot help.

In all seriousness though, you are either a fan, a bandwagoner, or not a fan. This year may not be the best year to start someone onto this team (unless they are familiar with rebuild processes through other teams/leagues).

Sounds like maybe the bandwagon might be a better option for you.  If you think things are bad now than next year or even more likely the next three years are going to make you want to poke your eyes out.  That's ok.  This cycle is going to make a new generation of fans that will eventually pine for the days when Horvat was winning Selkes.

20 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I'm not saying sell me on them as a believer that they will make the playoffs, or on the fact that they'll get a high pick and hopefully have a much better next few years.

I'm asking what  your best reasons would be to invest three hours every other evening on this years Canucks. 

I've watched this team religiously since Matt Cooke scored with 2 seconds left versus the wild, and let me confirm that I'm not switching allegiances, but 

with grad school and so many other activities I want to do, I don't want to stare at a screen until 9:45 only to be frustrated with the entertainment value, and if I had to 

pick between watching the Blackhawks play the Penguins, or the Canucks play the Avalanche on a Saturday, it's going to be the first option, even if I don't care who wins. 

This years team is just so Vanilla, and it has nothing to do with wins or losses, or the defensive game that we play. Hell when Ronalds Kenins was going, he was a reason to tune in. 

This year though, watching Henrik Sedin pass the puck behind the net, down a goal with 2 seconds left, is enough for me not to watch the next game.

I still watch and attend the games and always will, the number of games is just decreasing from 80 to 70 to probably 60 this year, but I'm a hockey fan first,

and the first round of the playoffs is something I will MAKE time for, even when the Canucks aren't playing. 

I understand that a lot of you feel the need to watch simply because feel like you have to, and that is totally respectable, I'm just curious as to how you would sell me,

You are not a true green and blue Canuck's fan.  Do you even live in Vancouver?  If you do, I bet you're from elsewhere.  

So much to see....

The kids....  - future NHL stars...

J Megma - 26 yr old

J Skille  - 29 yr old

Also our  Denny's Sr's discount crew 

D. Sedin  36 yr old

H. Sedin   36 yr old

A Burrows   35 yr old

L. E  -   31  yr old but plays like a   36 yr old

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

So much to see....

The kids....  - future NHL stars...

J Megma - 26 yr old

J Skille  - 29 yr old

Also our  Denny's Sr's discount crew 

D. Sedin  36 yr old

H. Sedin   36 yr old

A Burrows   35 yr old

L. E  -   31  yr old but plays like a   36 yr old

Good effort King, but even with the rosy picture you paint, this guy will never be convinced to be a true Canuck's fan.  :lol:

It's funny you talk about watching the Hawks and Pens over our Canucks, I have never before watched other teams much, I may have the game on in the background but never paid much attention,  but now I find myself watching the Oilers and Leafs, and I hate both of those teams, but I'm enjoying watching McDavid, Mathews, Marnier etc.

I really wish we had a couple skilled players like that to watch their skills grow. I know Horvat is good...but not in the same class.

19 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Hmmm ... I am the exact opposite.  I have no desire to see the Hawks play the Penguins (unless in a playoff game) 'cos I have no skin in the game.

I am fully invested in the Canucks, even this year's version.  I'll watch, and I will take pleasure in the littlest of things even in an 8 - 6 loss ....

• the way Stech is waiting with his stick in the air on the PP point, for the one-timer - how we prayed for that last year with Hutton, but no, collect the pass, settle the puck, look around, shuffle a yard left or right, then shoot. (not to pick on Hutton - every pointman was the same)
  • Bo's development as a center.  His newfound speed and acceleration, and the anticipation I now have when he begins one of his rushes
  • Sven's battle level, and the way Burr has been showing him how it is done .. I enjoy his board battles now, protecting the puck, or coming away with it after a tussle
  • Luca's emergence as our most dependable defenseman after 2 seasons of vilification
  • Loui's compete level - such a refreshing change from Vrby's in the latter half of last year, doing the little things even if not scoring
  • the once-a-period exhibition of Sedinery ... sure, its not every shift, but its absence for the most part doesn't stop me from enjoying it when it does happen

The glass is either half full or half empty.  Our enjoyment is coloured by how we view it.

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Watching the canucks lately  is like watching  your dog after it ate something bad in the park....

It looks kinda  ill / sick.  You watch it out of love though and you hope for the best....

You're channeling your inner @LaBamba :lol:

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Hmmm ... I am the exact opposite.  I have no desire to see the Hawks play the Penguins (unless in a playoff game) 'cos I have no skin in the game.

I am fully invested in the Canucks, even this year's version.  I'll watch, and I will take pleasure in the littlest of things even in an 8 - 6 loss ....

• the way Stech is waiting with his stick in the air on the PP point, for the one-timer - how we prayed for that last year with Hutton, but no, collect the pass, settle the puck, look around, shuffle a yard left or right, then shoot. (not to pick on Hutton - every pointman was the same)
  • Bo's development as a center.  His newfound speed and acceleration, and the anticipation I now have when he begins one of his rushes
  • Sven's battle level, and the way Burr has been showing him how it is done .. I enjoy his board battles now, protecting the puck, or coming away with it after a tussle
  • Luca's emergence as our most dependable defenseman after 2 seasons of vilification
  • Loui's compete level - such a refreshing change from Vrby's in the latter half of last year, doing the little things even if not scoring
  • the once-a-period exhibition of Sedinery ... sure, its not every shift, but its absence for the most part doesn't stop me from enjoying it when it does happen

The glass is either half full or half empty.  Our enjoyment is coloured by how we view it.

Our glass is 1/8th full, if you want to look at it that way.:lol:

Long time Canucks fan, and I shall say that I don't know if I can come up with a ton of reasons to really invest yourself in this season.  I'm enjoying watching the Baertschi/Horvat/Burrows line, and Stecher and Tryamkin developing on D.  Markstrom and Miller have been better than adequate and most nights are the only reason we are even in the game, so, put a check beside goaltending.  Granlund has been a welcome surprise as well, and enjoy having gotten the better of the Flames in yet another trade.  Tanev is Tanev, and him coming back further illustrates just how much he means to the defense on this team.

Would say that the best thing to watch this season though, is the fans.  Everyone wants us to lose, but want to fire the coach because we're losing.  They may say, "but its the way we're losing....", but its still losing which gets us further to the next thing to watch.  Why won't the team just tell us they're rebuilding.  Surprise, we suck.  We lack high quality scoring forwards, and elite playmaking centers.  Pretty sure the issue will take care of itself.  Then the fans will complain about not selling off all of our vets.  Kind of like using the logic of selling my trusty ol' civic to buy lotto tickets, because then I'm sure I'll be able to afford that BMW I've always wanted, because of it.  Then they'll complain we're too old, as we're obviously getting younger, then complain that we aren't winning because we have a whole bunch of kids, then complain that we aren't using the right kids, or using the kids the right way.  Benning is awful at signing contracts and trades our picks away, but he's awesome at drafting, but fire him because he hasn't gotten more lotto tickets to draft with.  If only we had traded all of our vets away 2 seasons ago, we'd surely be on our way to planning a parade.  

And there is the bragging rights of being there during the worst of it, which makes when we're winning that much sweeter.  I'm a masochist and survived the Keenan years, why I watch every game.  I'd rather watch Baertschi then Muckalt. :)

And on that note, game is on in a couple of hours, time to get appy's going and have my friends over so we can do the above, ad nauseum till next years draft heheh

Archived