The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sell me on the 2016-2017 Canucks

Zhukini

The hockey they've played has been extremely entertaining and exciting to watch. Most games have all been close... If you're in grad school, you should be smart enough to realize that. They've been the most entertaining team on home ice. Countless come back wins... 

Aside from the nights they've been shutout, "entertainment" has been plenty. 

17 minutes ago, luckylager said:

This is good advice.

In 2002-03 I travelled in SE Asia for 6months. I left in October, by January I was just jonesing for the Canucks, I felt like I was actually missing a piece of my soul.

I went into a sketchy bakery in Vientiane, Laos, ordered the first sandwich I'd seen in over three months, went up some stairs to sit down and eat. The TV had CNN on, in English! Just as I finished the worst sandwich I'd ever fully eaten the sports highlights came on.... Bertuzzi had scored against the Rangers in OT on a beauty pass from Naslund. I cried. Actually cried.

Tears ran down my face like they would if we ever win the cup, I still get a bit misty thinking about it.

OP- if you need to be sold - GTFO

+10 kip

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We have a Kesler's in Bo, but where are our Twins in the prospects?  

Patience is a virtue.

We have a guy by the name of Brock Boeser who could be a first line player. We will have a high draft pick this year and next. There might be a D man moved for front line help but trades like that are getting harder to make.

The help you seek is probably in the draft.

Gaudette and Lockwood are also showing promise. I still think that if they find the right wingers for Horvat he could be a number one center.

We're rebuilding. It's going to be a tough few years. We were going to be a middling/bubble team atbest this year if we stayed healthy and things went well.

I tune in to watch guys like Horvat, Stetcher, Tryamkin etc grow as players and hopefully see the team put in a solid effort. I honestly don't pay much attention to the score and simply hope to see a few good games and wins as a reminder of what's to come. 

Biggest downer for me has been seeing arguably or best forward this year, Hansen, have so much injury trouble. The guy brings it. 

3 hours ago, Zhukini said:

I'm not saying sell me on them as a believer that they will make the playoffs, or on the fact that they'll get a high pick and hopefully have a much better next few years.

I'm asking what  your best reasons would be to invest three hours every other evening on this years Canucks. 

I've watched this team religiously since Matt Cooke scored with 2 seconds left versus the wild, and let me confirm that I'm not switching allegiances, but 

with grad school and so many other activities I want to do, I don't want to stare at a screen until 9:45 only to be frustrated with the entertainment value, and if I had to 

pick between watching the Blackhawks play the Penguins, or the Canucks play the Avalanche on a Saturday, it's going to be the first option, even if I don't care who wins. 

This years team is just so Vanilla, and it has nothing to do with wins or losses, or the defensive game that we play. Hell when Ronalds Kenins was going, he was a reason to tune in. 

This year though, watching Henrik Sedin pass the puck behind the net, down a goal with 2 seconds left, is enough for me not to watch the next game.

I still watch and attend the games and always will, the number of games is just decreasing from 80 to 70 to probably 60 this year, but I'm a hockey fan first,

and the first round of the playoffs is something I will MAKE time for, even when the Canucks aren't playing. 

I understand that a lot of you feel the need to watch simply because feel like you have to, and that is totally respectable, I'm just curious as to how you would sell me,

or anyone else on this years team. 

My initial reaction to this guy's post was...who really cares about this guy^^^^^ and what he needs to be sold on?  My lasting reaction to this guy is...who really cares about this guy^^^^and what he needs to be sold on?

Like lager says, the Canucks are either part of your soul or they aren't.  Obviously, the Canucks aren't part of this guy's^^^^soul.  

Grad school.  I'm guessing buddy is going to try to get a masters degree in philosophy or some form of soft arts.

59 minutes ago, luckylager said:

This is good advice.

In 2002-03 I travelled in SE Asia for 6months. I left in October, by January I was just jonesing for the Canucks, I felt like I was actually missing a piece of my soul.

I went into a sketchy bakery in Vientiane, Laos, ordered the first sandwich I'd seen in over three months, went up some stairs to sit down and eat. The TV had CNN on, in English! Just as I finished the worst sandwich I'd ever fully eaten the sports highlights came on.... Bertuzzi had scored against the Rangers in OT on a beauty pass from Naslund. I cried. Actually cried.

Tears ran down my face like they would if we ever win the cup, I still get a bit misty thinking about it.

OP- if you need to be sold - GTFO

Killer post.

3 hours ago, Zhukini said:

I'm asking what  your best reasons would be to invest three hours every other evening on this years Canucks. 

Sometimes its fun to watch a train wreck.

Personally I involve other interests with watching the game (booze, gambling and s3x)

Game nights a good reason to go out and by beer then I have a standing bet with my wife, if the Canucks lose I get sympathy s3x.

4 hours ago, Zhukini said:

I'm not saying sell me on them as a believer that they will make the playoffs, or on the fact that they'll get a high pick and hopefully have a much better next few years.

I've watched this team religiously since Matt Cooke scored with 2 seconds left versus the wild, and let me confirm that I'm not switching allegiances, but 

with grad school and so many other activities I want to do, I don't want to stare at a screen until 9:45 only to be frustrated with the entertainment value, and if I had to 

pick between watching the Blackhawks play the Penguins, or the Canucks play the Avalanche on a Saturday, it's going to be the first option, even if I don't care who wins. 

This years team is just so Vanilla, and it has nothing to do with wins or losses, or the defensive game that we play. Hell when Ronalds Kenins was going, he was a reason to tune in. 

This year though, watching Henrik Sedin pass the puck behind the net, down a goal with 2 seconds left, is enough for me not to watch the next game.

I still watch and attend the games and always will, the number of games is just decreasing from 80 to 70 to probably 60 this year, but I'm a hockey fan first,

and the first round of the playoffs is something I will MAKE time for, even when the Canucks aren't playing. 

I understand that a lot of you feel the need to watch simply because feel like you have to, and that is totally respectable, I'm just curious as to how you would sell me,

Because it's what we do I guess :)

4 hours ago, Zhukini said:

um... didn't matt cooke score with 2 seconds left against the flames and not the wilds in the playoff... hard to take you seriously when you can't even remember who'd they played against in one of your most memorable moment.. i apologize if Matt Cooke scored a more memorable goal against the wild with 2secs left that i don't recall

Before Kesler developed, after Moore ruined the WCE, we were HURTING for a second line. When he did develop, we almost won the cup.

Now we are short about 3 legit top 6 forwards... Plus the sedins need to be replaced in the next few years.

I really don't see that changing in the next 2 seasons OP, we're a couple key peices from contending... Personally I'm watching a lot less games then let's say 2011, but I still watch all highlights, check scores, and only cheer for the Canucks. 

That wasn't really me trying to convince you of anything OP,  make up your own mind. Don't come in here asking other people to convince you of what YOU want. Find your own reasons, or don't. Whatever.

This is really simple - the team is rebuilding. There will be ups and downs. Put on the big boy pants, take responsibility, and do what you want with your time. I still watch every game. Some are frustrating, others quite entertaining. But I do enjoy keeping an eye on the younger guys regardless.

9 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Good questions. I have been wondering if I should cut back my time commitment (to the Canucks and to CDC) until we get a new GM. I will definitely maintain interest in the team and CDC helps. Despite the various problems with CDC, it is often the best source of information about the team and of useful analysis. So CDC helps.

But the Canucks are losing fans. And, while winning is by far the best way of bringing in fans, it is also helpful to sell "hope" and "excitement" if the team focuses on bringing in good young players. (Not Eriksson, nor Vrbata, etc.)

And to answer your question about how to sell you on this year's team, I would try but I would worry about being prosecuted for violating "truth in advertising" laws.

9 hours ago, Zhukini said:

I don't see any point in trying to sell you on something to which you are opposed to doing in the first place. Watch or don't, chum.

regards,  G.

10 hours ago, Googlie said:

Hmmm ... I am the exact opposite.  I have no desire to see the Hawks play the Penguins (unless in a playoff game) 'cos I have no skin in the game.

I am fully invested in the Canucks, even this year's version.  I'll watch, and I will take pleasure in the littlest of things even in an 8 - 6 loss ....

• the way Stech is waiting with his stick in the air on the PP point, for the one-timer - how we prayed for that last year with Hutton, but no, collect the pass, settle the puck, look around, shuffle a yard left or right, then shoot. (not to pick on Hutton - every pointman was the same)
  • Bo's development as a center.  His newfound speed and acceleration, and the anticipation I now have when he begins one of his rushes
  • Sven's battle level, and the way Burr has been showing him how it is done .. I enjoy his board battles now, protecting the puck, or coming away with it after a tussle
  • Luca's emergence as our most dependable defenseman after 2 seasons of vilification
  • Loui's compete level - such a refreshing change from Vrby's in the latter half of last year, doing the little things even if not scoring
  • the once-a-period exhibition of Sedinery ... sure, its not every shift, but its absence for the most part doesn't stop me from enjoying it when it does happen

The glass is either half full or half empty.  Our enjoyment is coloured by how we view it.

Thank you.... Could not had said it any better myself.

This is what supporting a team is all about.

Come rain or shine, Canucks is all that matters. 

My dad and I have this debate every season. What we do now is PVR the games, and start watching at 8 PM (for 7 PM start). That way, skipping the commercials and intermissions (especially when Gary Valk is on) increases the amount of time you spend actually watching the game. Also, you can forward through parts of the game if you feel frustrated, such as the Canucks PP or other times when you feel like you want to move ahead.

Also, if that doesn't work, watch "Canucks Game in Five" on YouTube after the games. Great summary of the games. 

Archived