The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sell me on the 2016-2017 Canucks

Zhukini

We are a number 1 centre away from being a "good" team in the future. He have our top end 2nd line centre in Bo. Good right wing depth with Boeser and Jake. Our defence could be top 5 in the league in a few years with Juolevi,  Tryamkin, Stecher, Hutton, Sbisa , Gubranson. Demko is a great goalkeeper prospect. We need a number 1 centre and more depth on the farm from what I can see.

5 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

We are a number 1 centre away from being a "good" team in the future. He have our top end 2nd line centre in Bo. Good right wing depth with Boeser and Jake. Our defence could be top 5 in the league in a few years with Juolevi,  Tryamkin, Stecher, Hutton, Sbisa , Gubranson. Demko is a great goalkeeper prospect. We need a number 1 centre and more depth on the farm from what I can see.

Jake and Boeser are likey 3-4 years away from being first line players.   

What will be our top line in  2 years ? 

15 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Horvat, Erickson and Baer lol! 

We tanking the next 2 seasons bro.

Life after Hank and Danny will be tough for all of us Canuck fans.  We had it so good for 10 years.....

We really have no idea how fortunate we were to have a dynamic duo.

Ouch, we got some pain ahead of us being a club with not much first line talent for the next while......

I guess we will see a focus on rolling lines,  great D and goaltending. Lots of trap.  No run and gun for quite some time...

We can be the NJ devils of the west...

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Life after Hank and Danny will be tough for all of us Canuck fans.  We had it so good for 10 years.....

Ouch, we got some pain ahead of us being a club with not much first line talent for the next while......

I guess we will see a focus on rolling lines,  great D and goaltending. Lots of trap.  No run and gun for quite some time...

We can be the NJ devils of the west...

When the Sedins contract is up we'll have had several years building up young players and a prospect pool. We hit rock bottom at that time and get our elite picks. Sounds a lot like Chicago and Pittsburgh to me.

On 28/12/2016 at 4:15 PM, Zhukini said:

I'm not saying sell me on them as a believer that they will make the playoffs, or on the fact that they'll get a high pick and hopefully have a much better next few years.

I'm asking what  your best reasons would be to invest three hours every other evening on this years Canucks. 

I read to this point & stopped reading. Don't have a clue what U said after & don't care once I read this, but will answer this ridiculous question of yours.

I've been a fan of HOCKEY & THE CANUCKS since 1977. Since then to date, I have never NOT looked forward to listening on the radio (like we had to for many many games back in the good old days) or watching the Canucks on TV or live  Win or Lose & that is NOT ABOUT TO CHANGE anytime soon. 

This team & any other pro team (NHL, NBA, NFL, etc.) that one decides to cheer for has gone through this & the real fans stick with there team through the ups & downs. Kinda likes Bro's, thru thick & thin...

As a proud Canadian, Hockey is in my blood. No matter how my team is playing at the moment, I will always find time for the SPORT & especially the TEAM that I love.

I'm watching whether we are gong to the Cup (1982, 1994, 2011) or while we S#!T the bed for a few years...(Kinda like golf, U can shoot a 75 & want to play tomorrow or U can shoot a 89 & still want to play tomorrow.)   Or do u just pick your ball up & Quit...???

It's called TRUE LOVE FOR THE GAME & A TRUE LOYAL (non bandwagon'r) FAN...

U know we'll see U in a few years when we are back in contention & you'll act like u never left... 

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I guess we will see a focus on rolling lines,  great D and goaltending.

Nicely said & totally true.

Hopefully Bo keeps developing at the pace he's going at & Boeser, Virtanen, Gaudette, Lockwood, Zhukerov, etc. & Nolan or whoever we get next year's draft aren't as far off...

Our D & goal tending is looking good tho...

Reading through these pages makes me quite sad...

Firstly to the OP, nobody has to sell you anything....

You live in Vancouver, so it should be a foregone conclusion that you would be a supporter. You should be proud every time you see the team enter the ice representing your city. If that doesn't make you interested, trust me, you are not a supporter of this franchise.....

Interests in sports come and go, but you will know within yourself, once you are a true supporter....

You can't pass a newsstand on holidays without trying to find a paper with scores, or even better a small write up of the game.

You'll try to catch a glimpse of any game that is shown, when ever you can find the opportunity.

You may join forums to speak to other like minded 'sports fanatics'.

You'll follow kids through their development.

You'll argue you teams cause, cry about performances and moan about anything. You'll be happy and full of joy when you win, and down and unhappy, when you lose, but still look forward to the next game...

It becomes part of your life... 

We are many, whom are watching the games from abroad... We will often get up at 2-3am to watch a game, and alternatively we will watch the recordings of the game later... 

And then other people enjoy sport to a lesser extend... like it when they win, and lose interest when they lose. Nothing abnormal in that, its just the way it is....

5 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I'll settle for an elite winger. Basically you just need two elite players on your top line regardless of position. Bertuzzi/Morrison/Naslund - who were the two elite talents? Horvat could fit quite nicely on the top line with Boeser and another top winger. Assuming of course Boeser is the real deal.

On 28/12/2016 at 8:07 PM, Solinar said:

Long time Canucks fan, and I shall say that I don't know if I can come up with a ton of reasons to really invest yourself in this season.  I'm enjoying watching the Baertschi/Horvat/Burrows line, and Stecher and Tryamkin developing on D.  Markstrom and Miller have been better than adequate and most nights are the only reason we are even in the game, so, put a check beside goaltending.  Granlund has been a welcome surprise as well, and enjoy having gotten the better of the Flames in yet another trade.  Tanev is Tanev, and him coming back further illustrates just how much he means to the defense on this team.

Would say that the best thing to watch this season though, is the fans.  Everyone wants us to lose, but want to fire the coach because we're losing.  They may say, "but its the way we're losing....", but its still losing which gets us further to the next thing to watch.  Why won't the team just tell us they're rebuilding.  Surprise, we suck.  We lack high quality scoring forwards, and elite playmaking centers.  Pretty sure the issue will take care of itself.  Then the fans will complain about not selling off all of our vets.  Kind of like using the logic of selling my trusty ol' civic to buy lotto tickets, because then I'm sure I'll be able to afford that BMW I've always wanted, because of it.  Then they'll complain we're too old, as we're obviously getting younger, then complain that we aren't winning because we have a whole bunch of kids, then complain that we aren't using the right kids, or using the kids the right way.  Benning is awful at signing contracts and trades our picks away, but he's awesome at drafting, but fire him because he hasn't gotten more lotto tickets to draft with.  If only we had traded all of our vets away 2 seasons ago, we'd surely be on our way to planning a parade.  

And there is the bragging rights of being there during the worst of it, which makes when we're winning that much sweeter.  I'm a masochist and survived the Keenan years, why I watch every game.  I'd rather watch Baertschi then Muckalt. :)

And on that note, game is on in a couple of hours, time to get appy's going and have my friends over so we can do the above, ad nauseum till next years draft heheh

Nailed it with the Muckalt comment.  Nice to see a fan express such wisdom on this site.  Keenan and Messier days were like getting kickes hard in the groin just after you got up from been...Well kicked in the groin.  This cycle is more like fondly enjoying a new puppy or kitten that hasn't found its bearings yet...Rock bottom is a lot lower than this..

On December 30, 2016 at 1:51 AM, hearditall said:

I read to this point & stopped reading. Don't have a clue what U said after & don't care once I read this, but will answer this ridiculous question of yours.

I've been a fan of HOCKEY & THE CANUCKS since 1977. Since then to date, I have never NOT looked forward to listening on the radio (like we had to for many many games back in the good old days) or watching the Canucks on TV or live  Win or Lose & that is NOT ABOUT TO CHANGE anytime soon. 

This team & any other pro team (NHL, NBA, NFL, etc.) that one decides to cheer for has gone through this & the real fans stick with there team through the ups & downs. Kinda likes Bro's, thru thick & thin...

As a proud Canadian, Hockey is in my blood. No matter how my team is playing at the moment, I will always find time for the SPORT & especially the TEAM that I love.

I'm watching whether we are gong to the Cup (1982, 1994, 2011) or while we S#!T the bed for a few years...(Kinda like golf, U can shoot a 75 & want to play tomorrow or U can shoot a 89 & still want to play tomorrow.)   Or do u just pick your ball up & Quit...???

It's called TRUE LOVE FOR THE GAME & A TRUE LOYAL (non bandwagon'r) FAN...

U know we'll see U in a few years when we are back in contention & you'll act like u never left... 

Very well thought it and agree 100%! I grew up a Maple Leafs fan watching Sittler and Lanny, Palmateer and Salming. My dad would take me to New West Bruins games... the day we drafted Stan Smyl i was Canucks only fan!! lol and luckily the Leafs got worse year after year! The whole thought of 'selling' someone on why to be a canucks fan is just laughable!

You're either a fan or you aren't. I still watch games when I can, especially if they are in EST / CST time or on the weekend. 

This year is better than last. There have been some awful games, but also some good ones. Seeing the young future core of Stecher, Tryamkin, Baertschi, and Horvat step up is exciting. 

Other than a few nasty stretches like the 0-8-1 record after our 4 win start and the recent 1-4 eastern road trip the team has been alright. 

Take those two out and our record sits at 15-6-2. Heck just take out that 9 game losing streak out of the picture and we are 16-10-2. 

If we simply managed .500 hockey, 4-4-1, over those 9 games the team record would be 20-14-3 . Tied with St. Louis for 6th. 

Another way to look at it - since our 4-8-1 start, the Canucks have played 12-10-2 hockey. 

If you want to cheer for the Canucks , you have to be able to handle the PAIN  of the curse....

We have been spoiled the last 10 years with one of the top clubs in the NHL.

Now we are back to our past...    Joy mixed with lots of pain.

Its what we are   - Canuck fans. 

Since Edler and Tanev have been in the lineup we're something unreal like 7-3-1 with a very low GAA against some Cup contending teams, even on the road.

The next couple of games are against bottom feeders at home on losing streaks. Can't look past them but there's an easy 4 points.

Jamie Benn is hurt, Dallas will struggle without him.

Dallas, LA and Nashville (all teams ahead of us) are facing San Jose and Montreal next, very lose-able games.

The Canucks are currently only 2 points out of a wild card spot.

We play the Flames back to back to close out the first half of the season at home and away. 

If the Canucks take care of business in the next 2 games against the Avs and Coyotes, they'll be in the last wild-card spot. Win against the Flames and we'll bump them down too and take the 1st wild card spot.

If the Canucks play the same way with the same structure and same systems and most importantly, have Edler and Tanev healthy, they will easily make the playoffs.

On 12/29/2016 at 3:09 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

What if it's like watching prison sex? 

This team is always on the losing end of the battle. I want to watch, but not to see them get pushed around. There is no team ID here. It's something that makes it tough to watch. So before you lecture, super fan, consider who you're preaching to. We're not all kids or fans of Sedin hockey. 

Listen. The OP wants someone to "sell" him on the Canucks, If you can't read between the lines of my comment and come to the conclusion that this is a struggling team this year and the hockey maybe boring or just plain bad at times, bad enough that the casual fan may not want to watch...and the only thing to sell is the growth of a NEW team out of an old one and seeing some of the players develop, then you totally missed the plot.  P.S the team is NOT ALWAYS on the losing end of the battle

Archived