The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG...Top 100. Simmons picks someone other than Gretzky as their #1!

alt kilgore

2 hours ago, brownky said:

I'd say Top 5.

Cups, points, ageless wonder. I'd have him ahead of John Beleveau. Not by much mind you, but I'd have him there.

My top ten would be

1. The Great One

2. Orr

3. Mario

4. Howe

5. Beliveau

6. Jagr

7. Bossy

8. Bobby Hull

9. Harvey (Based on what my grandparents tell me about him)

10. Guy Lafleure

2 hours ago, Stamkos said:

Top 40 Players of all time in my opinion

1. Gretzky
  2. Orr
  3. Howe
  4. Lemieux
  5. M. Richard
  6. Messier(Ugh)
  7. Jagr
  8. Brodeur
  9. Harvey
  10. Lindsay
  11. Bourque
  12. P. Esposito
  13. Shore
  14. Vezina
  15. Roy
  16. Coffey
  17. Sawchuk
  18. Bossy
  19. Dionne
  20. Beliveau
  21. Hasek
  22. Trottier
  23. Lidstrom
  24. Harvey
  25. Lafleur
  26. Plante
  27. Bobby Hull
  28. Morenz
  29. Clarke
  30. Kelly
  31. Hall
  32. Mikita
  33. Dryden
  34. H. Richard
  35. Brett Hull
  36. F. Mahovlich
  37. Oates
  38. Chelios
  39. Durnan
  40. Salming

Errr... not good. Bealiveau at 20? Bobby Hull at 27? Lafleur at 25? Morenz at 28? Brodeur ahead of Hasek and Roy? Sidney "I'm about to sweep the Art Ross, Lindsay and Hart... AGAIN" Crosby not even on the list? Sakic? Potvin? Ovechkin???

I am absolutely shocked that Megna is not on the list!!! B)

For what it's worth, here is Simmons response when asked who would have been #101 on his list

steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve  13h13 hours ago

steve simmons Retweeted Tyler Wilson

Good question. Probably wrestling between Sedins, Belfour, Malkin and Gainey.

12 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

I'm pretty sure Simmons has some sort of mental disability..........

53. Steve Yzerman <------- I mean this alone should be enough to get you fired

88. Teemu Selanne

95. Ron Francis

97. Pavel Bure

10. Bob Beers

Given how many hockey players have been known to imbibe the odd bottle of brewed ale, Beers may have the ideal hockey “food name.” The former Bruins, Lightning, Oilers and Islanders defenseman was dealt twice in his 11-year pro career – meaning, yes, two different NHL GMs made a trade for Beers. Many people inside and outside the hockey world have made the same transaction.

9. Steven Rice

A former star for Canada at the 1991 IIHF World Junior Championship, Rice steamed NHL executives when he never blossomed in hockey’s best league after being drafted 20th overall in 1989. Rice’s minutes were limited in 329 career NHL games and he amassed 64 goals and 125 points before retiring at age 27.

8. Andre Champagne

After a junior career at Toronto’s storied St. Michael’s school, Champagne played only two games at the NHL level, both for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He’d go on to spend most of his decade-long playing career in the American League for Rochester. No telling if he became any more or less bubbly when he did.

7. Adam Oates

One of the most creative playmakers to grace the game, Oates amassed massive offensive numbers in 19 NHL seasons and has more points (1,420) than any U.S. collegiate player in history. Honey, nuts to those who say Oates shouldn’t have been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

6. Jim Korn

An American defenseman who played 11 years for five NHL teams, Korn was a bruiser (racking up 1,801 penalty minutes in 596 career regular season games). In many ways, it’s amazing he never acquired the nickname ‘Crack,’ but perhaps his teammates didn’t care.

5. Jari Kurri

A legend of both the NHL and his native Finland, Kurri was a key cog in the Edmonton Oilers dynasty who scored at least 50 goals in a season on four different occasions. He also had some spice in his game, as evidenced by the fact he had more than 100 penalty minutes six times.

4. Paul Coffey

The legendary defenseman earned most of his Hall of Fame numbers with Edmonton and Pittsburgh before bouncing around the league at the end of his 21-year NHL career. In his final season, he had a cup of, er, hot java with Boston, playing 18 games in 2000-01 before retiring as the No. 2 defenseman all-time in goals (396), assists (1,135) and points (1,531).

3. Frederick ‘Bun’ Cook

His given name was Frederick, but everyone knew the left winger as ‘Bun’ when he skated for the Rangers and Bruins from 1926-37. Part of the ‘Bread Line’ with his brother Bill Cook and Frank Boucher, ‘Bun’ won two Stanley Cups with the Blueshirts, went on to coach more American League teams to championships (seven) than anyone else in that league’s history and was inducted into the HHOF in 1995.

2. Milan Chalupa

Hockey is the last place you’d expect to find a surname such as Chalupa, but for 14 games in 1984-85, it appeared on the back of a Detroit Red Wings jersey on a defenseman who would never play another game in North America after that. The best part? Chalupa is a Czech!

1.Per Djoos

The standard by which all other hockey/food names are measured, both Djoos’ surname (pronounced “juice”) and given name (pronounced “pear”) are foodstuffs. The Swedish defenseman played only 82 NHL games over three seasons in the early ‘90s, but his name leaves a legacy bigger and more fruitful than anything he did on the ice.

Nicely done, one of the most creative response I've seen in a long time.

Maybe one day Jake Bean will make this list and of course, the Canucks did once have their own Butcher.

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Another tax recipient from back east. 

Ironically, this dork from Degrassi is talking about sports? His credibility? Acting. 

I didn't read any of his crap. 

I think Phil Kessel said it best:

"Simmons was referenced in a spoof letter supposedly written by Phil Kessel after Kessel had won the Stanley Cup with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2016. The post script of the letter reads thusly: "How did the country that produced literary giants like Margaret Atwood and Alice Munro also crap out Steve Simmons?".[13]"

Old people always vote for thier idles they grew up watching.  All I can think of watching that Bobby Orr clip is not how good Orr was but how bad everyone else on the ice was at the time.  Same with all the 80's stars: Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, etc.  Watching them shoot at a 5'8 goalie with stick thin pads and it's pretty easy to see thier totals.  Seems like if you grew up playing street hockey you already had the skills to play in the NHL all the way upto the late 80's.

The reality with alltime lists no matter the sport is the newer generation is just better.  They perform at an allstar level with greater parity than thier predecessors.  Problem is old people just want to relive thier glory days of "I saw shoeless Joe Smith box 45 irounds with a Russian Polar Bear for a nickel and he still had a haircut you could set your watch to".

That being said, this game is won on goals.  The fact that Bossey isn't in the top ten is the most disgusting part of his lst imo.

15 hours ago, Devon Jade said:

It's just a freakin' list.

Here's my list:

1.Eggs

2. Milk

3. Bread

4. Tea

5. Coffee

6. Cheese

7. Lettuce

8. Chicken

9. Oranges

10. Chocolate

This list is laughable.  You have Chicken at eight and Tea at number four?  What the #$%& is qrong with you man?!?

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Old people always vote for thier idles they grew up watching.  All I can think of watching that Bobby Orr clip is not how good Orr was but how bad everyone else on the ice was at the time.  Same with all the 80's stars: Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, etc.  Watching them shoot at a 5'8 goalie with stick thin pads and it's pretty easy to see thier totals.  Seems like if you grew up playing street hockey you already had the skills to play in the NHL all the way upto the late 80's.

The reality with alltime lists no matter the sport is the newer generation is just better.  They perform at an allstar level with greater parity than thier predecessors.  Problem is old people just want to relive thier glory days of "I saw shoeless Joe Smith box 45 irounds with a Russian Polar Bear for a nickel and he still had a haircut you could set your watch to".

The old six team league was hockey at its best.  Now, with 30 teams, there are guys who should be in the AHL on teams.  Just look at the friggin Canucks for example!  There are maybe 3 or 4 guys who would make a team if there were only six teams.  

Archived