The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal-Miller to Pitts

14 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Murrays will be on LTIR, and miller would be pro rated for half a season that's how!

LTIR doesn't work that way.

When a player has an injury of which they are expected to miss 10 games and 24 days, the team can place them on long term injured reserve (LTIR) to receive cap relief.

When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit technically remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did. It also does not provide the club with additional cap-space savings that can be banked for future use while the team operates below the salary cap. Instead, LTIR provides relief if the club's averaged club salary, or payroll, begins to exceed the upper limit. The amount of relief that the club receives is calculated on the day the player is placed on LTIR. There are two formulas that are used to determine the LTIR relief, the first formula, the basic formula, can be used during the season and during the off-season. The second formula, the training-camp formula, can be used during the off-season.

Basic Formula
This formula is used throughout the season and during the off-season
Amount team can exceed the cap = Cap hit of LTIR player - Amount of cap space available

So they can't fit Miller under the cap and what would they do with him when Murray returns?

We can't trade Miller unless we are taking a capable backup back for Markstom to split starts with. Calling up Demko would be a huge mistake. Pitts doesn't have one. As another poster mentioned They can't stuff Miller under the cap. I don't mean to beat up on you but If your making a thread at least put some thought in like what pieces might be involved and how it would affect each team.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How about Miller straight across for MAF?  

Why? MAF has a NMC so why would he waive to come to Vancouver? Vancouver can only protect one goalie in the expansion draft so we would have to protect MAF due to his NMC. So, we trade Miller for MAF and lose Markstrom in the expansion draft.....why do you want to do that?

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Why? MAF has a NMC so why would he waive to come to Vancouver? Vancouver can only protect one goalie in the expansion draft so we would have to protect MAF due to his NMC. So, we trade Miller for MAF and lose Markstrom in the expansion draft.....why do you want to do that?

MAF is (was) a great goalie.  Maybe he can find his greatness again here?  We could trade Markstrom too?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

MAF is (was) a great goalie.  Maybe he can find his greatness again here?  We could trade Markstrom too?

MAF was a very good goalie but his best days are gone. You are ignoring the question as to why would he waive his contact to come to a re-building team like Vancouver as opposed to staying in Pittsburgh. His NMC means that he can stay in Pittsburgh if he so desires and force Pittsburgh to trade Murray instead. Vancouver is also going to need Miller's cap space going forward.

Wall of text, bare with me...

Cannot see this happening. Cap space (regardless of what we take back or retain), lack of proper back up for Markstrom (Pitt has nothing to return in that aspect) and we do not want to rush Demko in, let the kid make it on his own terms as he is going to be fun to watch one day. Fleury was rushed into the league, shell shocked over his first couple seasons and didn't seem to regain that confidence for a few years. Don't get me wrong, he was still a good goalie for a couple years, and is still a decent starting goalie, but he is a shell of his former junior self and will never live up to the potential he once had.

I would rather see Miller go to a team where the return would be at its highest.... Somewhere that has a decent prospect and/or a capable back up to step in until Demko is ready.

Miller's money coming off the books at the end of the year (as well as Burrows and Larsen) would equal $11 million in freed up cap space. This money could be used to lure a decent RFA to mix into our rebuild, or it could become a golden carrot to dangle in front of Tavares (c'mon JB, make it so). We would also have UFA's Megna and Skille's $1.3 million combined (assuming we didn't offer them extensions, Megna might get one) to add to that to make $12.3 million (roughly). RFA's coming off the books would be Rodin, Gaunce, Horvat, Chaput, Pedan, Tryamkin and Gudbranson. I'm sure Guddy, BoHo and Tryamkin (possible Chaput) will get raises and extensions, not so sure about Rodin or Pedan.

Lets assume that the Canucks will spend a combined $11 million on Guddy ($4m), BoHo ($4m) & Tryamkin ($3m). These numbers are purely guesses. That leaves us with $1.3m cap space to spend on others.... not a ton to spend on a guy like Tavares.... we would need to make other moves (this is where trading someone like Edler @ $5m would help us) to free up cap space so we can dangle the bigger carrot on our team that should take 2-3 years to get back into playoff shape. I know a lot of players want to "win now" and will sign with the team that gives them the best opportunity to do so, but I can't help but hope they would take a serious look at our team, what we have done, what we want to do and buy into it. Our team really isn't that bad. With addition and subtraction of some players, we should be able to look like a decent team again in that time frame.

If my last 2 paragraphs seem out to lunch, please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm just quickly looking and adding the numbers from the "Cap Hit" column from the following link:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Archived