The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Islanders G Jaroslav Halak

Plaguez

6 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

That's very surprising. Possibly brought in another goalie in a trade?

Doubt it, Islanders have been carrying 3 goalies all year.

Just goes to show you what the trade market is like for goalies with money on their deal though.

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Doubt it, Islanders have been carrying 3 goalies all year.

Just goes to show you what the trade market is like for goalies with money on their deal though.

So Halak has been worse than Greiss and Berube? I know he hasn't been playing well, but didn't think it was that bad.

A month and a half left before Quick's back and they've lasted this long, not sure they claim him. They'd have to hope someone would claim him again when they put him back on waivers once Quick returns, otherwise they'd be stuck with ~$3.5M in cap hit in the minors and they'd be forced into a deal that they couldn't make without seriously hurting themselves. So I doubt they claim him.

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

So Halak has been worse than Greiss and Berube? I know he hasn't been playing well, but didn't think it was that bad.

Haven't really watched how the Islander goalies have performed this year.  My guess is it's a performance and money thing.

17 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

They have a lot of room because of Quick & Toffolli injuries.  In the time it takes to get Quick back the can make some moves to come in under cap.

1000% chance the Kings don't claim him.

Toffli's injury is minor and he'll be back right away, while Quick is back in about 2 months. $4.5M is a ridiculous amount for them to take on. If they didn't take on Pavelec, who is no better or worse than Halak at this point, and who is in the last year of his contract, they won't take on Halak. That's just stupid.

Archived