The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bieksa, and D-men who have been traded (Discussion)

Googlie

As we get ready for another KB visit,  I got to wondering how many defensemen have we traded who went on to outperform after the trade as compared to their Canucks record.

The only ones I can think of are Adrian Aucoin (all-star selection after trade) and Bret Hedican (Stanley Cup)

Some big names we traded were past prime, but still had decent post-Canuck seasons (such as Ohlund or Jovo) but I don't think we got burned by any like we did when trading forwards such as Neely, or, to a lesser extent, Grabner.

Current ones out there who might come back to haunt us, after Bieksa, include Weber and Clendenning, Bartowski and maybe Sanguinetti.

I just hope we don't trade Edler, Tanev or Sbisa - they do have the potential to haunt us in the future.

Who in your opinion is the best defenseman we let get away (excluding draft picks we should, in retrospect, have made)?

I'm not going to even begin to profess knowledge of all the Dmen traded from the 'Nucks, but a recent one that we let go (free agency) that likely would have made a BIG impact on the team, especially in the '11 run, was Willie Mitchell. His presence could have really stabilized the back end, even more likely that Rome wouldn't have needed to make that big hit that seemed to wake up the Bruins, and in all likelihood was a fairly large factor in us not getting the Cup that year. Instead, he goes to LA, helped to stabilize their back end, and two Cups later, we're left to ponder the "woulda, shoulda, coulda" of letting Willie M go.

18 minutes ago, Googlie said:

As we get ready for another KB visit,  I got to wondering how many defensemen have we traded who went on to outperform after the trade as compared to their Canucks record.

The only ones I can think of are Adrian Aucoin (all-star selection after trade) and Bret Hedican (Stanley Cup)

Some big names we traded were past prime, but still had decent post-Canuck seasons (such as Ohlund or Jovo) but I don't think we got burned by any like we did when trading forwards such as Neely, or, to a lesser extent, Grabner.

Current ones out there who might come back to haunt us, after Bieksa, include Weber and Clendenning, Bartowski and maybe Sanguinetti.

I just hope we don't trade Edler, Tanev or Sbisa - they do have the potential to haunt us in the future.

Who in your opinion is the best defenseman we let get away (excluding draft picks we should, in retrospect, have made)?

Mitchell was a loss for sure

Don't forget with Mitchell - he missed a huge chunk of games with the Kings his first season (that season where we went to the Finals) because of that injury from the sack of manure Malkin (bullcrap no suspension hit - crosschecked him headfirst into the boards).  It wasn't until the following season where the concussion issues subsided enough for him to play most of the season.  With that serious an injury - you not only didn't know when he would be able to return but IF he would be able to return to 'full capacity'.

Dale Tallon & Bob Dailey are two that come to mind (yeah I was hardly old enough to know that much about them - I just mentioned them so I'd look like a long-time Canuckfan :P)

Not sure the Bieksa deal hurts as he played his best games while in a Canucks uniform and it's not as if they gave him to Anaheim for nothing.  Yeah, he's had a bit of resurgence there, but that shouldn't be the cause of regret.

I wouldn't say the Aucoin deal hurt either as Cloutier was a valuable piece coming back (plus he did produce some good seasons in Vancouver).  Trading away Hedican as a piece in a big deal isn't the cause of nightmares either.

The Willie Mitchell saga is the biggest case of hindsight being 20/20 ever.  The Canucks were on the cusp of being serious contenders for the cup and needed reliably healthy defencemen.  That offseason, Mitchell's career was in serious doubt due to concussion issues and the Canucks couldn't afford the cap space the Kings offered on a player that had a high chance of not being there when it mattered most.

But yeah, it's a stretch to think of any Neely type trades on defence.  Go back in history all the way to Bob Dailey?  Or maybe Dale Tallon or Jocelyn Guevremont?

18 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Ahhhh, the old 'one that got away' debate on CDC.  

Nothing like discussing players in a 'vacuum' as if nothing else plays a part in their departure such as contracts,  injuries,  desire to gtfo,  ect....

How about Glen Wesley. 

Dale Tallon was definitely a loss, but we got Gary Smith and "King Kong" Korab for him. Looking at the career stats of these players...well, losing Korab may well have been worse that Tallon. Gary Smith gave us 3 years (his best in his entire career) and backstopped us to the first winning record in team history. Tallon did...ok...but didn 't blow anyone's doors off, no All-Star appearances (Smith got one in the 74-74 season). Korab wasn't good in his brief history here, but he went on to some pretty good years with Buffalo after. Hmm...

18 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Don't forget with Mitchell - he missed a huge chunk of games with the Kings his first season (that season where we went to the Finals) because of that injury from the sack of manure Malkin (bullcrap no suspension hit - crosschecked him headfirst into the boards).  It wasn't until the following season where the concussion issues subsided enough for him to play most of the season.  With that serious an injury - you not only didn't know when he would be able to return but IF he would be able to return to 'full capacity'.

Dale Tallon & Bob Dailey are two that come to mind (yeah I was hardly old enough to know that much about them - I just mentioned them so I'd look like a long-time Canuckfan :P)

This post would have been more effective if your  name was not NewbieCanuckFan.

Mitchell was not a trade we never re-signed him.

Garrison for me is the most questionable.  Only because of the return and how quickly Benning fired him out of the door and org as he's been nothing less than an incredibly solid top 4 in Tampa.

Sopel...well Sopel went on to win a cup but after throwing his back out picking up a cracker cannot blame them for not re-signing him.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

If you don't make a trade then you can be looking at losing one in the expansion draft. Most people figured that we would risk Sbisa and it would be no loss but now he may be worth protecting or turning into a future asset.

It would be wise to move one of Guddy, Tanev or Sbisa.  Then see to it that Biega gets enough games.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Mitchell was recovered and started the season with the Kings, the concussion was past history.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Edler hurts us now.

No big loss if he went, unfortunately he's very comfortable in Vancouver

12 minutes ago, appleboy said:

It would be wise to move one of Guddy, Tanev or Sbisa.  Then see to it that Biega gets enough games.

I'd rather move Edler  (hope he would be willing to go to a contender).

Biega only needs 9 games no worries there 

I can think of many times where we didn't draft someone who went on to be a good Dman but of course drafting has so much uncertainty to it and I don't know what the scouting report was for those players but still.  For example in 2009 we drafted Schroeder over Sami Vatanen, Dimitry Orlov and Tyson Barrie.  But then again Datsyuk was drafted in the 6th round so my argument isn't really that good.

3 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

For example in 2009 we drafted Schroeder over Sami Vatanen, Dimitry Orlov and Tyson Barrie.  But then again Datsyuk was drafted in the 6th round so my argument isn't really that good.

That's definitely a rabbit hole that many a dead horse has fallen into here on CDC.

My hope is that within a few years we'll be replacing the perennial 'one that got away' threads with the 'man, we really got an overlooked talent in that round' threads. 

Archived