The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bieksa, and D-men who have been traded (Discussion)

Googlie

35 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Mitchell was recovered and started the season with the Kings, the concussion was past history.

You never know with that kind of injury (major concussion) if (or when) a person will be fully recovered (I'm talking with respect to the offseason after the 2009-10 season).  He still missed just over 30 percent of his 1st season with the Kings due to various injuries (I don't remember if any of which was concussion related).  

On a side note, I *think* that was one of the reasons for his retirement a number of years later (he suffered concussion as Panther).  Same reason I *think* Ballard & Alberts (though the later was a result of a concussion from a REAL sack of manure cheapshot - no big surprise in that I think that Flames player got no suspension) had their careers cut short - concussions.

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

That's definitely a rabbit hole that many a dead horse has fallen into here on CDC.

My hope is that within a few years we'll be replacing the perennial 'one that got away' threads with the 'man, we really got an overlooked talent in that round' threads. 

Word!

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Not sure the Bieksa deal hurts as he played his best games while in a Canucks uniform and it's not as if they gave him to Anaheim for nothing.  Yeah, he's had a bit of resurgence there, but that shouldn't be the cause of regret.

I wouldn't say the Aucoin deal hurt either as Cloutier was a valuable piece coming back (plus he did produce some good seasons in Vancouver).  Trading away Hedican as a piece in a big deal isn't the cause of nightmares either.

The Willie Mitchell saga is the biggest case of hindsight being 20/20 ever.  The Canucks were on the cusp of being serious contenders for the cup and needed reliably healthy defencemen.  That offseason, Mitchell's career was in serious doubt due to concussion issues and the Canucks couldn't afford the cap space the Kings offered on a player that had a high chance of not being there when it mattered most.

But yeah, it's a stretch to think of any Neely type trades on defence.  Go back in history all the way to Bob Dailey?  Or maybe Dale Tallon or Jocelyn Guevremont?

Adrian Aucoin went on to rack up points and minutes while being an absolute stud for the Islanders.  That is one is one the worst trades in Canucks history. 

Out of all the Dmen we have traded/let go over the years, Bieksa and Mitchell are by far the most recent ones that bugged me the most. Aside from his overpaid salary, Bieksa was all heart. I'm sure the team misses this and his toughness (the remaining core that played with KB3 for years). Not to mention his humor/jokes. Mitchell was another guy like that for me, and I can understand being apprehensive due to concussion history, but with all the players that teams have taken chances on, he should have been given an extra shot in Vancouver. Even at a reduced salary. Another hometown boy sold on the team/city just to be shipped away or had a back turned to them.

There are many many others as well, but we could go on for days at that point.

Bieksa is really not doing that well on the Ducks. He's washed up, and the fans are realizing that. As much as I love Juice, we traded him at the right time. 

Mitchell was one that definitely got away. Though to be fair to management, we had no idea if he'd ever play again, or that Ballard would be a colossal bust. Forsling is going to be one that got away, though nobody knew that Clendenning would bust so hard. Really, the Canucks have been pretty good at shipping D out at the right time, or for the right pieces, such as McCabe for a Sedin. Even getting rid of Garrison was a pretty decent move, because he's a fringe top 6 getting paid as a top 4. 

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

As we get ready for another KB visit,  I got to wondering how many defensemen have we traded who went on to outperform after the trade as compared to their Canucks record.

The only ones I can think of are Adrian Aucoin (all-star selection after trade) and Bret Hedican (Stanley Cup)

Some big names we traded were past prime, but still had decent post-Canuck seasons (such as Ohlund or Jovo) but I don't think we got burned by any like we did when trading forwards such as Neely, or, to a lesser extent, Grabner.

Current ones out there who might come back to haunt us, after Bieksa, include Weber and Clendenning, Bartowski and maybe Sanguinetti.

I just hope we don't trade Edler, Tanev or Sbisa - they do have the potential to haunt us in the future.

Who in your opinion is the best defenseman we let get away (excluding draft picks we should, in retrospect, have made)?

Depends on what you mean by "outperform". Two out of three of Hedicans most productive seasons were as a Canuck. A Stanley Cup is a team accomplishment not individual. Bernier won a Cup, but was a fourth line player on that team. Did he outperform his time as a Canuck? Not in my mind.

2 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

I'm not going to even begin to profess knowledge of all the Dmen traded from the 'Nucks, but a recent one that we let go (free agency) that likely would have made a BIG impact on the team, especially in the '11 run, was Willie Mitchell. His presence could have really stabilized the back end, even more likely that Rome wouldn't have needed to make that big hit that seemed to wake up the Bruins, and in all likelihood was a fairly large factor in us not getting the Cup that year. Instead, he goes to LA, helped to stabilize their back end, and two Cups later, we're left to ponder the "woulda, shoulda, coulda" of letting Willie M go.

No wonder Willie D is cursed. They both have the name Willie. Therefore, based on Newton's law third law; for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Bieksa was not one who "got away", his play was not good and continues to be not good.  I liked juice's presence on the ice and he was probably the best interview in the NHL, but I don't miss his play at all.

Mitchell is the only one i regret seeing in another uni.

This expansion draft, we better not regret losing one good D to have a better career with other team, Sbisa, Gud, Tanev, and Edler.  We better pick right one without any regret.   My vote goes to Edler, his time is up.   Now is the time to debate the current D.  Whatever happened in the past stays in the past, we need to move on and make sure that this one wouldn't be filled with regret.  It sucks that the NHL rules only protect 3 D in that it's difficult to protect them all.   We need to cut the least player for us right now and that's Edler, imo.   Edler could rebound and have a better career but I doubt it due to his history of back injury and will not be the player he once was.   So that is my pick.   Unless Sbisa regressed hard from now to end of the season, Edler is the one.  

5 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

This expansion draft, we better not regret losing one good D to have a better career with other team, Sbisa, Gud, Tanev, and Edler.  We better pick right one without any regret.   My vote goes to Edler, his time is up.   Now is the time to debate the current D.  Whatever happened in the past stays in the past, we need to move on and make sure that this one wouldn't be filled with regret.  It sucks that the NHL rules only protect 3 D in that it's difficult to protect them all.   We need to cut the least player for us right now and that's Edler, imo.   Edler could rebound and have a better career but I doubt it due to his history of back injury and will not be the player he once was.   So that is my pick.   Unless Sbisa regressed hard from now to end of the season, Edler is the one.  

Elder is, absolutely, my pick.  Losing him for nothing would sting, but I'd rather protect sbisa than edler.  There's also a good chance that LV doesn't pick him as well.

9 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I am still not sold on Sbisa over the long hall and would be looking to move him at the trade deadline for picks or should I say pick. Sbisa and Guddy bring the same and I think that there is a lot of upside in Guddy and he is younger. If Lidster can help Sbisa then you have to think that he can do wonders with Guddy with a bit of time.

They should sell high on Sbisa.

How about the opposite...Best deals for a defenseman ever

I can remember Reinhart in his prime at 27 and Steve Bozak from Calgary for a third rounder.  He went on to score 57 points two seasons in a row was named an all- star but retires at twenty nine due to back issues.  Bozak was a serviceable plug.  Reinhart was also a Calder worthy candidate for the Atlanta Flames right behind Bourque ( who won it) in rookie scoring.  A brief career with us but the closest thing to a offensive defenseman this club ever had with apologies to Lumme and Jovo.  Lidster also Aucion came close one year each.  Anyone else remember a deal for a defenseman (good one) where we came out looking golden?

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Elder is, absolutely, my pick.  Losing him for nothing would sting, but I'd rather protect sbisa than edler.  There's also a good chance that LV doesn't pick him as well.

Not a bad strategy...Almost untradable.. Often injured ala Salo

And the salary added to already a good situation with Burrows Miller up this year and the Sedins the next... Benning will be flush with cap space to help with the rebuild.

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

Some big names we traded were past prime, but still had decent post-Canuck seasons (such as Ohlund or Jovo) but I don't think we got burned by any like we did when trading forwards such as Neely, or, to a lesser extent, Grabner.

Ohlund never really had a good season in Tampa Bay, unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I can remember Reinhart in his prime at 27 and Steve Bozak from Calgary for a third rounder.  He went on to score 57 points two seasons in a row was named an all- star but retires at twenty nine due to back issues.  Bozak was a serviceable plug.  Reinhart was also a Calder worthy candidate for the Atlanta Flames right behind Bourque ( who won it) in rookie scoring.  A brief career with us but the closest thing to a offensive defenseman this club ever had with apologies to Lumme and Jovo.  Lidster also Aucion came close one year each.  Anyone else remember a deal for a defenseman (good one) where we came out looking golden?

Even when we got him (when he gas tank was pretty much empty) - he was STILL effective enough to almost carry us for a season (was injured for much of the other time).  That trade almost came to bite the Flames in the butt as we almost upset them in the post-season (The season was actually the one where the Flames won the Cup).

PS:  we should've taken that series because Otto scored that OT series clinching goal when he clearly kicked it in!

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Reinhart and Babych are the two most talented D-men we've had by a decent margin.  But Reinhart's body was on the way out and Babych was on the back nine of his career when he got him (still a very good top-four D-man at the time).

Reinhart was like Tim Kerr...really had a shot at being one of the greats but his body couldn't hold up.

Archived