The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you want to see out of a New Management Team?

Hank Moody

What kind of Management team do we want to see?  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You do realize Shanahan was hired after Linden, and Lamarillo was hired after Benning.  

They wanted to let the team go for one year to see what they had. They started getting younger last year.

Anyway what is your point? The Leafs had more youthful players to start with even after they traded away some of the vets. They also had a farm team that was in much better shape.

If Linden had of traded away all of our vets you would have nothing at the nhl level right now. That kind of rebuild would be ten years of futility and how many good young prospects would get ruined along the way. Gillis left this organization in an absolute mess with very little up and coming talent. We now have 3 young D men and few good young forwards who are learning in a competitive environment. A few more will be added next year.

Everyone keeps saying that Toronto stripped the team down to nothing. They kept their 20 to 25 year old players. They also have several players who have been promoted from the AHL.

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You do realize Shanahan was hired after Linden, and Lamarillo was hired after Benning.  

Leafs have  a  very bright future ,  Shanahan and Lamirillo have turned that club around in a short time.  Kudos to them. 

I can't stand the leafs but i can appreciate effective management. 

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

They wanted to let the team go for one year to see what they had. They started getting younger last year.

Anyway what is your point? The Leafs had more youthful players to start with even after they traded away some of the vets. They also had a farm team that was in much better shape.

If Linden had of traded away all of our vets you would have nothing at the nhl level right now. That kind of rebuild would be ten years of futility and how many good young prospects would get ruined along the way. Gillis left this organization in an absolute mess with very little up and coming talent. We now have 3 young D men and few good young forwards who are learning in a competitive environment. A few more will be added next year.

Everyone keeps saying that Toronto stripped the team down to nothing. They kept their 20 to 25 year old players. They also have several players who have been promoted from the AHL.

The TO rebuild started after JB and TL arrived here.  I hate the Leafs, and think they suck socks.  They purposely tanked two seasons in a row to get the highest picks possible.    now both those picks are contributing to their team, and are their best players.  

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Leafs have  a  very bright future ,  Shanahan and Lamirillo have turned that club around in a short time.  Kudos to them. 

True enough.  Their management and coach came straight out and said "there will be pain".  They never lied to their fans, and their fans accepted and supported their plan.  

I see a lot of "Gillis left the team in a mess", however GIllis loaded up for a series of cup runs. Made the finals once, then got sacked before he was given a chance to do a rebuild/reload for the future. There is no way to know if he could have done that re tool/ build properly or not.

TLDR- Gillis loaded up, took a good run and was fired before being able to load up again.

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

The actions of JB don't say rebuild, they say retool.  We, as a fan base, have been all over this, but I defer to Bob Mckenzie, who when asked about us rebuilding said: "what rebuild".  

Alf, I always suspected you were a media stooge.

The Sedins Burr, Hansen and Edler are the only ones left from the previous regime. I know of few teams that rebuild by scrapping everyone on the roster in one or two seasons. As we have already discussed, only an idiot gets rid of players when there is no one left to replace them.

The trouble with people like MacKenzie is they shoulder no responsibility for their fantasy rantings.

Why should they when they have a flock of sheep (who apparently lack the intelligence to think logically for themselves) drinking their koolaid and believing it to be gospel.

You can't compare the fans in Toronto vs. the fans here. The Leafs sold out MLG when they had an owner like Harold Ballard. A guy who makes all of our current and past owners look great by comparison. Even when fans in Toronto were wearing paper bags, and throwing eggo's on the ice. they still sell out ACC. Fans in Toronto will support the Leafs no matter what is on the ice.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You can't compare the fans in Toronto vs. the fans here. The Leafs sold out MLG when they had an owner like Harold Ballard. A guy who makes all of our current and past owners look great by comparison. Even when fans in Toronto were wearing paper bags, and throwing eggo's on the ice. they still sell out ACC. Fans in Toronto will support the Leafs no matter what is on the ice.

They also have many times the population to feed from. 

41 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I'd say a good chunk of the work was done before then and their embarrasing tank got them Mathews.

12 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

The Sedins Burr, Hansen and Edler are the only ones left from the previous regime. I know of few teams that rebuild by scrapping everyone on the roster in one or two seasons. As we have already discussed, only an idiot gets rid of players when there is no one left to replace them.

The trouble with people like MacKenzie is they shoulder no responsibility for their fantasy rantings.

Why should they when they have a flock of sheep (who apparently lack the intelligence to think logically for themselves) drinking their koolaid and believing it to be gospel.

I accept your viewpoint, but disagree.  In my opinion, hockey people like Bob Mckenzie know a lot more about the game than us posters.  Ray Ferraro, who played in the NHL for 18 seasons, and lives in Vancouver, said he would like to see clear direction from our management.  Pretty much every professional hockey mind says our management strategy is wrong for a team that needs to rebuild.  

Of course I cheer for us to win every game, and I'm happy for our team when we do win, but I do have concern for our direction and future.  

I must say it's a little discouraging that this topic is getting as much traction that it is.  Benning is criticized both internally and externally for doing nothing but doing exactly what he has said he would do so far.  Bringing in Miller to replace our competent goaltending that left check.  Turning our league worst prospect pool around check.  Not ruining a boatload of cap space that is approaching ( yet) check.  Getting value for some of the old core in future picks check.  And most importantly sticking to his plan without caving into pressure.  Two to three years early for deciding whether or not we need a management change IMO.  Somebody else will just start the process all over again..And we need someone who can draft us out into contention and we could do much worse.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Let's see.....I assume you are counting Hutton as one of the up and coming defensemen?....Gillis pick

Stecher?  Banning should be so happy he happened to grow up in Richmond and chose to play near family and friends.  If JB was the "Drafting Genius" many think he is, why did he not choose Stecher in the draft?

2 minutes ago, hookshott said:

Let's see.....I assume you are counting Hutton as one of the up and coming defensemen?....Gillis pick

Stecher?  Banning should be so happy he happened to grow up in Richmond and chose to play near family and friends.  If JB was the "Drafting Genius" many think he is, why did he not choose Stecher in the draft?

Did I say that Benning drafted Hutton. I said they are developing in a competitive environment. The only player he has drafted and now playing is Tryamkin.

7 minutes ago, hookshott said:

What year was stetcher draft eligible? What year was Bennings first draft?

Let's fire everyone and make sure the Canucks lose their identity forever and never recover for decades. Perhaps the team moves out of town too. 

That should satisfy the haters of this team right?

To tanking fans and haters; next time you wish your team to tank, implode and start again, better be ready for the subsequent bad hockey that ensues and have the patience to endure the process.

On 2016-12-30 at 6:17 PM, billabong said:

The Canucks need a hard rebuild more than anything. 

wouldn't it be a fricken disaster if the Canucks hold true to their word and not trade anyone for assets at the deadline and let them walk and the Canucks finish like in 11th place. 

If it was young core that's a different story. 

Yes. Also, who remembers when Naslind, Jovo, Ohlund... Walked away? No compensation. 

Let's also not forget that TL was an epic PR move to appease the circus surrounding Tortz and the Gillis f-ups. If nostalgic appeal is all it takes to maintain the fan base, Aquaman deserves credit for employing it. JB has been okay to me only because he has brought in some character and toughness. I think he is being held back from putting together a Canadian-style hockey team. 

Rather than watching a young core develop, we get to watch a stale core expire.

This team should have been stripped as early as 2012 so that a retool could have been properly executed. Instead, a rebuild of a roster loaded with the Prez's buddies is 'mission impossible'. This is where any negativity towards to the team comes from - Many knew this team was destined to bottom out, but was managed as if it were not. When I hear someone call that opinion "hindsight" I tune out. 

I'm betting that the bottom is still a few years away and that it's going to get worse than this current bottom 5 team. I'm fine with it, as long as the Canucks don't come to the world and profess they are a playoff team. If they continue to play Sedin-style, turn-the-other-cheek, turn your back hockey while sinking to the bottom, I'd support some measure of change. 

On 2016-12-31 at 10:45 AM, Me_ said:

Let's fire everyone and make sure the Canucks lose their identity forever and never recover for decades. Perhaps the team moves out of town too. 

That should satisfy the haters of this team right?

The ID is definitely what needs shedding.

Haters? Getting a lot of mileage out of that word around here. 

Biting, face making, hair pulling, speed bagged, neck breaking, pulled goalie Captain, stick picking up... Rioting loser Vancouver "fans". Ya, losing the team identity would be devastating!  

This franchise HAD a proud tradition of respect and playing the game the right way.   Winning was not why it was/is hated. Nobody ran Sakic or Yzerman, but they do the Sedins, it's about respect, but not to CDC, where it's a conspiracy. 

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

only an idiot gets rid of players when there is no one left to replace them.
Then why let them go for nothing at all before they leave or retire? Why not take something, anything? Even if a 5th round pick only has a 3% chance of making the NHL, that's 3% more of something and better than 100% of nothing.

Are you referring to many of the posters here?

TL says this team needs a rebuild and that gets ignored? How?

JB says the team is competitive? For what?

A lot of the posts here seem to indicate a fan base in denial, even if the team was to get to .500, they are still in the bottom third of the league.

Who do watch on the tube if available, McDavid?, Laine?, Mathews? Which are more entertaining? Eriksson and the Canucks or Edmonton and McDavid?

They are almost giving away tickets now for most games, but try to buy one for Edmonton or Winnipeg, why is the price higher and tickets harder to get?

52 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I accept your viewpoint, but disagree.  In my opinion, hockey people like Bob Mckenzie know a lot more about the game than us posters.  Ray Ferraro, who played in the NHL for 18 seasons, and lives in Vancouver, said he would like to see clear direction from our management.  Pretty much every professional hockey mind says our management strategy is wrong for a team that needs to rebuild.  

Of course I cheer for us to win every game, and I'm happy for our team when we do win, but I do have concern for our direction and future.  

Well said Alf.   This is a good example of what is out there media wise that is both creating doubt in the fan base and putting pressure on management to do something different.  I am still in the camp that encourages patience and wants both stability and to wait and see what Benning does over the next two drafts and with the Sedins in 2018...But I respect what you are saying.  

I didn't vote for any of your options as id rather just anwser your question straight up.. I want to have a clear vision from my GM. simple as that. none of this we think were a playoff contender then at the end of the year your telling us that you knew all along the playoffs were a longshot. Are we retooling or rebuilding? I think its pretty obvious which path we are on and i simply don't see it working out. The top end piecies are simply not here in order for a retool. Its going to be a long long long time until this team is competitive and the quicker Benning and Linden are run out of town the better.

Archived