The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sedin Twins, Art Ross Winners

Johnny Torts

Before reading, I love our Twins and they already have their place in the rafters for me.

IMHO, this is gone way too far. They ditched their no-look pass - slap pass game for a cycle game. They adapted, because teams were catching on. Now, they continue to waste 1st line shifts by doing what opponents predict they will do, cycle for a perfect pass. 

Who has had too much respect for the Twins? Management? Coaching? Why are these two not accountable for their actions? 

2 seconds left in a game and you are left passing the puck around when the buzzer goes off? Cut their minutes. I understand they aren't paid 7 a peice to sit but they aren't paid 7 to make pretty passes either. They're paid to help us win and their job is to score.

What a dirty shot by hank tonight against the Ducks in OT ( Dec.30.2016 ). Great goal. So filthy that no one knew it went in.

These two need to start shooting a lot more. I want my two favourite players to win a cup or die trying because this is what  they would do. 

So, are the Sedins disobeying their coach? Or is the coach not holding his players accountable? It is ALWAYS about the logo in the front and not the name on the back of the jersey. 

Reason for Edit: CDC, I really love these two. Great smile, amazing character guys. Best men In pro sports. I feel like I was dogging on them but that's not what this is about.

I think management just lets them do what they want.

If they're not scoring their ice-time is cut down though, they don't get a free ride.

I feel you though @Johnny Torts, they're so frustrating sometimes.

Especially Hank.

Too many times he's had chances to score in the slot, and decides to do a spin pass too his brother for a sharp angle shot :angry:

1 minute ago, Adarsh Sant said:

What do you expect them to do instead? Rip it like Ovechkin? Deke everyone like Datsyuk? Fly past everyone like McDavid? The Sedins' strength is in their passing, that is how they score.  

Hi Adarsh,

Shooting more would be enough. Please talk in past tense when you say that their strength is passing to score. They have learned different strategies before and I'm sure that one less pass and one extra shot wont be a shot on their strength.

I agree to an extent, they need to trust in themselves a bit more and stop using their linemates because quite frankly their linemates suck right now. I don't think their game has changed too much.

In 2007 they really used themselves the most, Henrik mainly just set up Daniel and the two of them scored a lot of goals that way. 2008 was a bit the same but a bad season, then in 2009 through to 2012 they had much more support. Fantastic defencemen on the team (Salo, Edler, Ehrhoff) who could score so the Sedins used them a lot and they had Burrows who was in his prime as well, meaning that they didn't have to rely on themselves so much.

Now we're in a dark age where their linemate could be Hansen, a 3rd line checker, at best, or Eriksson who's on the downslide, or Megna for God's sake. They don't have much support. Sure, they're getting worse too, but I think now more than ever before, the Sedins need to just play amongst themselves and not pass the puck to anyone else to score. Let them be the ones who get set up. Eriksson passing to Hank was prime example of that.

I don't think that change comes from management or coaching staff, it has to come from themselves. They have to realize that this team is rubbish and needs them to step up now more than ever before, and I think they have already - Henrik is scoring more goals than he ever has before and may even crack 20 this season. His passing has gotten worse to be fair, but his shooting IMO is much better. Lets hope they stop passing it to other people (even on the PP) and take the shot more.

1 hour ago, Johnny Torts said:

Before reading, I love our Twins and they already have their place in the rafters for me.

IMHO, this is gone way too far. They ditched their no-look pass - slap pass game for a cycle game. They adapted, because teams were catching on. Now, they continue to waste 1st line shifts by doing what opponents predict they will do, cycle for a perfect pass. 

Who has had too much respect for the Twins? Management? Coaching? Why are these two not accountable for their actions? 

2 seconds left in a game and you are left passing the puck around when the buzzer goes off? Cut their minutes. I understand they aren't paid 7 a peice to sit but they aren't paid 7 to make pretty passes either. They're paid to help us win and their job is to score.

What a dirty shot by hank tonight against the Ducks in OT ( Dec.30.2016 ). Great goal. So filthy that no one knew it went in.

These two need to start shooting a lot more. I want my two favourite players to win a cup or die trying because this is what  they would do. 

So, are the Sedins disobeying their coach? Or is the coach not holding his players accountable? It is ALWAYS about the logo in the front and not the name on the back of the jersey. 

Reason for Edit: CDC, I really love these two. Great smile, amazing character guys. Best men In pro sports. I feel like I was dogging on them but that's not what this is about.

The problem is that the Sedins would be great second liners but the problem is that no line has really stepped up and took over first line duties. The Sedins at their age are still facing the best defenders from their opponents and they shouldn't be doing that. The youngins need to be thrown to the wolves now and try to win the first line duties. Kind of what Pavelski did with Thornton. Second line Sedins would be very effective.

I just looked at their shots/game over the past 5 years and compared it to this years and they definitely have been shooting less this year. I'm not sure how much of it is a product of their own game and how much of it is a product of their line mates, but indeed, they are shooting less. Even though shooting isn't the name of their game, a decrease in shots for the both of them isn't the greatest sign.

As DownUnda mentioned, Hank has been on point with his shots this year, shooting at a 20% rate. Unfortunately, Daniel has been down quite a bit since 2012, averaging just 9.0% from 2012-2016 (end of last year). Daniel's percentage is markedly up this year, which implies that he's either being more careful with his shots or he's getting lucky. Either way, some more shots should result in a better offensive year than last year based on his percentage.

This reminds me that I suspect the twins expected to be transitioning to the 2nd line by this point. hopefully, Bo and Boeser can surprise next year and take some 1st line minutes, maybe with Baertschi if he continues to improve as well.

Somewhat-related fun fact: Stecher and Edler are 1st and 3rd in shots per game, respectively. 

14 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I just looked at their shots/game over the past 5 years and compared it to this years and they definitely have been shooting less this year. I'm not sure how much of it is a product of their own game and how much of it is a product of their line mates, but indeed, they are shooting less. Even though shooting isn't the name of their game, a decrease in shots for the both of them isn't the greatest sign.

As DownUnda mentioned, Hank has been on point with his shots this year, shooting at a 20% rate. Unfortunately, Daniel has been down quite a bit since 2012, averaging just 9.0% from 2012-2016 (end of last year). Daniel's percentage is markedly up this year, which implies that he's either being more careful with his shots or he's getting lucky. Either way, some more shots should result in a better offensive year than last year based on his percentage.

This reminds me that I suspect the twins expected to be transitioning to the 2nd line by this point. hopefully, Bo and Boeser can surprise next year and take some 1st line minutes, maybe with Baertschi if he continues to improve as well.

Somewhat-related fun fact: Stecher and Edler are 1st and 3rd in shots per game, respectively. 

Thanks for backing this up with some stats that I was too lazy to google lol, instead of reading the first sentence and flaming.

+1

9 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

Thanks for backing this up with some stats that I was too lazy to google lol, instead of reading the first sentence and flaming.

+1

I won't lie, I looked up the stats in hopes of proving you wrong, as I often do, but I'm not so biased to as fail to admit it when I'm wrong. I'm still not on the "trade Sedins" train, but they have definitely trended down over the years.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Now we're in a dark age where their linemate could be Hansen, a 3rd line checker, at best

Hansen is "a 3rd line checker, at best"?

The same Hansen who frequently puts up goals/60, 1st assists/60, and points/60 scoring rates among the top-90 forwards in a 30 team league?

The same Hansen who's been able to post those kinds of scoring rates regardless of whether he's playing with or without the Sedins as linemates?

The same Hansen who, both this season and last season, ranked either 1st or 2nd on this team in goals/60, 1st assists/60, and points/60?

That Hansen?

Is a "3rd line checker"?

"At best"?

Look, normally I don't nitpick on small items from larger posts. I actually hate it when people cherry pick single sentences and criticize a minor point from my own stuff. And to be clear, I really don't have an issue with the post itself (and you make some good points).

So please excuse the "bad form" here. 

But I just couldn't let that Hansen claim go unchallenged.

47 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I won't lie, I looked up the stats in hopes of proving you wrong, as I often do, but I'm not so biased to as fail to admit it when I'm wrong. I'm still not on the "trade Sedins" train, but they have definitely trended down over the years.

Yeah, they should retire here. I'll never be on the trade sedin train. 

28 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hansen is "a 3rd line checker, at best"?

The same Hansen who frequently puts up goals/60, 1st assists/60, and points/60 scoring rates among the top-90 forwards in a 30 team league?

The same Hansen who's been able to post those kinds of scoring rates regardless of whether he's playing with or without the Sedins as linemates?

The same Hansen who, both this season and last season, ranked either 1st or 2nd on this team in goals/60, 1st assists/60, and points/60?

That Hansen?

Is a "3rd line checker"?

"At best"?

Look, normally I don't nitpick on small items from larger posts. I actually hate it when people cherry pick single sentences and criticize a minor point from my own stuff. And to be clear, I really don't have an issue with the post itself (and you make some good points).

So please excuse the "bad form" here. 

But I just couldn't let that Hansen claim go unchallenged.

I wanted to call him out too but I just thought it was pointless man. Hansen is a big timer that seems to be hitting his prime at an older age. Contenders would drool to have the guy on their team. Too bad we can't trade him because no one else is going to stand up for the twins! 

Archived